Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

99 and 00 ls1

This is a discussion on 99 and 00 ls1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; silly putty WHAT ELSE! geez you guyz really know your cars...

silly putty WHAT ELSE! geez you guyz really know your cars

The center section is cast iron, the axle tubes are made of steel. They are simply spot welded in 3 or 4 spots around the tube,,,thats it. GM has been doing rearends this way since the beginning of time so it's nothing new.
    The problem mentioned happens occasionally but I have not seen it that much myself. Welding the tubes all the way around is a common process to gain a little more strength,,,requires the rearend to be completely disassembled and put up on a jig to keep everything straight. Larry.

look under any ls1 car everyone i ever looked at that was run hard had leaking tubes.

I rebuild alot of rearends for people and rarely see this problem. Most of what I see is the pinion seal leaking and blowing back on the housing. I have had several F-bodies and currently own 3 right now,,,and haven't had axle tubes leaking on any of them. You guys must be having some bad luck, or are buying severely abused F-bodies Larry.

Something else that comes to mind, quite possibly a minor fender bender that jolted the rearend may cause a tube to loosen,,,,,or what could even be more likely,,,,curb rash on the rims is a good indication,,,especially someone overzelous and sliding around could bump a curb and cause this problem.
    It would be hard to abuse the rearend from drag racing to make a tube leak on these 4th gens, simply because these rearends are weak, and I would bet on the rearend simply breaking before a tube had a chance to leak Larry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Any high performance motor is going to have some drawbacks when compared to an economy car engine. What do you expect?? And whats this about twisted axle tubes?? How do you twist an axle tube?? They are cast iron and welded to the differential. Its not like Toyota doesn't have their share of problems, I hate when people bring that bullshit arguement up. "If I had a Toyota this wouldn't have happened blah blah blah". You think the Supra engines don't use any oil?? Please. If you can't deal with it then go buy a Toyota Echo or something, you obviously don't appreciate your car for what it is.
    =X3

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is there someplace I can look at pics. I definately don't want some ugly can hanging in the engine compartment. Can it be hidden out of sight? Larry.
    www.ls1howto.com has detailed pix and instructions on how to do the LS6 pcv mod.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    www.ls1howto.com has detailed pix and instructions on how to do the LS6 pcv mod.
    Thanx! What sucks is I already put the LS6 intake on. Guess I got to take it off again. It will be worth it to see if it makes a difference with oil consumption.
    Is there a different way to do this rather than this process? Does the oil catch can solve this.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

not very familiar with the catch can method. sorry.

black
    2002 TA WS7

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Thanx! What sucks is I already put the LS6 intake on. Guess I got to take it off again. It will be worth it to see if it makes a difference with oil consumption.
    Is there a different way to do this rather than this process? Does the oil catch can solve this.
    the oil that is sucked through the pcv system falls into the can before it goes into the intake and after a while u can empty the can back into the oil fill on the engine

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    the oil that is sucked through the pcv system falls into the can before it goes into the intake and after a while u can empty the can back into the oil fill on the engine
    How much consumption do you think it will cut back on?

black
    2002 TA WS7

i have never looked into because my engine burns very little but i would assume it would cut down on most or all ur consumption.

Ok,,,now I am wondering how the catch can method is keeping the engine from using oil if it's just filling up a can with oil,,,that tells me it's not in the engine where it belongs,,,therefore the oil level has went down.
    Since mine has been fine with no oil consumption I will probably leave it alone for now. I will check into the LS6 PCV conversion though,,,thanks for the link Wheeler. Larry.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I am thinking about getting the LS6 manifold too...but what do you do with the EGR?? Since we have 98's we have EGR provisions on the intake manifold, so doesn't not having the EGR tube in the maniold set the CEL?? Not to mention mess up the ECU, since the computer is counting on that extra air from the EGR coming into the motor, when in reality it won't be??

I can't get tune right now to delete EGR/AIR, so I'm just curious about how this all works with the LS6.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Ok,,,now I am wondering how the catch can method is keeping the engine from using oil if it's just filling up a can with oil,,,that tells me it's not in the engine where it belongs,,,therefore the oil level has went down.
    Since mine has been fine with no oil consumption I will probably leave it alone for now. I will check into the LS6 PCV conversion though,,,thanks for the link Wheeler. Larry.

Well...thats the thing...it doesn't prevent the engine from using oil (goes in the catch can like you said) it just prevents it from going into the intake manifold and getting burned up.

I converted to breather filters on my car, I was sick of the PCV sucking tons of oil in and gumming up the intake manifold. The catch can just seems like a half assed fix for a problem that originates from having way too much vacuum on the PCV line a well as a crappy PCV system in general.

I say either get the LS6 valley cover and convert to the LS6 PCV system (costs around $100) or just convert to breathers like I did.

black
    1999 trans am

my 99 has 67,000 miles and uses about 1 qrt between oil changes. im glad to see that im not the only one who has this problem

Hey Wesman,,,I believe it is SLP that makes an LS6 intake that has the EGR provision you are looking for.
    Pretty sure it's SLP,,,I could be wrong,,,but I know for a fact there is an LS6 intake on the market with EGR.
    Did you fit an open breather on the driverside valve cover back by the firewall? I just had that valve cover off of mine today,,,and that darn crank case hose is way in the back, with alot of other stuff around it. It would have to be a pretty tiny breather to fit on my car on the driver side or I would have to clear out some room Larry.

The valley pan needs to be changed for the LS6 PCV system? Man I am not interested in tearing the intake off unless I have a better reason,,,lol.
    Mine is not using oil so I guess I will leave it well enough alone unless something happens. Larry.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Your welcome.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Hey Wesman,,,I believe it is SLP that makes an LS6 intake that has the EGR provision you are looking for.
    Pretty sure it's SLP,,,I could be wrong,,,but I know for a fact there is an LS6 intake on the market with EGR.
    Did you fit an open breather on the driverside valve cover back by the firewall? I just had that valve cover off of mine today,,,and that darn crank case hose is way in the back, with alot of other stuff around it. It would have to be a pretty tiny breather to fit on my car on the driver side or I would have to clear out some room Larry.
    It is indeed SLP. If you are not tuning soon or state requires emissions you could just get the one from SLP with the EGR provisions, they are on sale right now. I myself am debating on that intake or going with 90/90 combo since I plan on going with a mild cam in the spring.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information