Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

99 and 00 ls1

This is a discussion on 99 and 00 ls1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 9t8z28 I hope you mean grinding on the outside of the block not the inside? well not ...

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I hope you mean grinding on the outside of the block not the inside?
    well not "inside" but grinding chunks off the top-center to make clearance for the valley cover to sit properly/sit flush

black
    2002 TA WS7

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post

241 heads
    possible LS6 block
    no EGR
    less restrictive exhaust headers and upgraded cam and upgraded intake manifold to add to ur list

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    less restrictive exhaust headers and upgraded cam and upgraded intake manifold to add to ur list
    correct - been banging my head against the wall all day @ work

how on earth could i forget the LS6 upgrade (kind of included it being the no EGR)

less restrictive "exhaust manifolds" too lol

black
    2002 TA WS7

well they didnt put the ls6 intake manifold on our cars but they did design our ls1 manifolds better for 01 and 02 but u can get the ls6 pretty cheap to put on

I do believe the intake on the 01 and 02 Fbodies are indeed LS6 intakes derived right from the corvette, which is why the EGR was discarded on the F-bodies for the first time,,,the LS6 corvette intakes did not have the provisions for it.
    I read somewhere that the part numbers are the same, can't remember if it was from this site or somewhere else.
    The camshafts were somewhat of a downgrade in my opinion,,,the 01 and 02 cars got the truck camshaft the last 2 years of production. With alot less lift and duration numbers, it was a pretty good drop from previous year F-bodies.
    Guess GM was trying to gain a little low end torque,,,,"shrug"
    As far as the exhaust manifolds go,,,I keep hearing the 01 and 02's had better flowing manifolds,,but I haven't seen anything that backs this up. Anyone ever do a comparison between manifolds at the track? I don't remember reading it anywhere. Larry.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I do believe the intake on the 01 and 02 Fbodies are indeed LS6 intakes derived right from the corvette, which is why the EGR was discarded on the F-bodies for the first time,,,the LS6 corvette intakes did not have the provisions for it.
    I read somewhere that the part numbers are the same, can't remember if it was from this site or somewhere else.
    The camshafts were somewhat of a downgrade in my opinion,,,the 01 and 02 cars got the truck camshaft the last 2 years of production. With alot less lift and duration numbers, it was a pretty good drop from previous year F-bodies.
    Guess GM was trying to gain a little low end torque,,,,"shrug"
    As far as the exhaust manifolds go,,,I keep hearing the 01 and 02's had better flowing manifolds,,but I haven't seen anything that backs this up. Anyone ever do a comparison between manifolds at the track? I don't remember reading it anywhere. Larry.
    all 01/02 ls1's came with LS6 intake manifolds - identical part numbers to boot
    GM was able to !EGR due to the different camshaft specs - the truck cam actually reduced emmissions therefore no longer needing the EGR system
    the 01/02 cams are a step down from the previous model year camshafts

01/02 exh manifolds are better similar to upgrading to the ls6 intake & !EGR
    fed requirements made GM need to change the design of the manifolds to be more efficient which actually increases performance

Okay then, I was correct that the 01 and 02's do indeed have the LS6 intake and not some refabbed better flowing copy. I didn't think GM would go through the trouble to retool an intake for a car destined to be discontinued,,,just grab it from the vette and be done with it....makes more sense. I can see where the camshaft change would be necessary to the smaller truck cam then, since the LS6 manifold has no EGR, rather than try to redesign it for the Fbody it's much easier to just change to the smaller cam with less overlap.
    I don't dought GM made some changes to the manifolds,,,it's clearly evident on the outside,,,the appearance is different from previous years,,,I am just curious as to how much better in performance they really are.
    I have seen quite a few 01's and 02's running high 12's and low 13's and still using the stock manifolds, so I guess they can't be too bad.

How is the thread coming on the LS6 PCV conversion? I am anxious to see what is required. I wouldn't mind hearing about the alternative oil catch can as well. Thanks, Larry.

black
    2002 TA WS7

thunder racing sells both items all u do is swap out the ls1 pcv system for the ls6 and the oil catch can just install it inline with the pcv hose right before the valve

Is there someplace I can look at pics. I definately don't want some ugly can hanging in the engine compartment. Can it be hidden out of sight? Larry.

our 99 burns alot of oil since day one,sometimes 1 qt in 500 miles.It has 94k miles on it and now it burns alot less,maybe 1qt every 1000.very disappointing since gm refused to fix it.FK UM thats why toyota is killing them.I like gm cars but i'm not gonna sheeet you up,you better look and know what to look for buying a used LS1 car.ANYTHING could be wrong with it.I seen them with twisted axle tubes and lots of other troubles you would never suspect because they were built so cheesy.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Is there someplace I can look at pics. I definately don't want some ugly can hanging in the engine compartment. Can it be hidden out of sight? Larry.
    X2 !!!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    our 99 burns alot of oil since day one,sometimes 1 qt in 500 miles.It has 94k miles on it and now it burns alot less,maybe 1qt every 1000.very disappointing since gm refused to fix it.FK UM thats why toyota is killing them.I like gm cars but i'm not gonna sheeet you up,you better look and know what to look for buying a used LS1 car.ANYTHING could be wrong with it.I seen them with twisted axle tubes and lots of other troubles you would never suspect because they were built so cheesy.
    Careful, toyota is recalling a ton of vehicles because of sludged destroyed motors. You have 100k on an all aluminum race motor.

i got 6000 in repairs bills too!

black
    2002 TA WS7

u can find some pics. i have seen them just dont remember where. i think the can blends in pretty good in the engine compartmint

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Any high performance motor is going to have some drawbacks when compared to an economy car engine. What do you expect?? And whats this about twisted axle tubes?? How do you twist an axle tube?? They are cast iron and welded to the differential. Its not like Toyota doesn't have their share of problems, I hate when people bring that bullshit arguement up. "If I had a Toyota this wouldn't have happened blah blah blah". You think the Supra engines don't use any oil?? Please. If you can't deal with it then go buy a Toyota Echo or something, you obviously don't appreciate your car for what it is.

black
    2002 TA WS7

yea wesman now thats what im talkin about

the welds break on the housing and the housing moves on the tubes.Go look under most any fbody and you will see the where the tubes meet the housing they look wet with oil.YEP you guessed it that means the housing has twisted on the tubes.Only fix is to weld it solid all the way around.Of course thats after you fix the mess.the axle tubes are not cast iron .
    Last edited by YoMommasTA; 02-16-2007 at 12:53 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

the welds break on the housing and the housing moves on the tubes.Go look under most any fbody and you will see the where the tubes meet the housing they look wet with oil.YEP you guessed it that means the housing has twisted on the tubes.Only fix is to weld it solid all the way around.Of course thats after you fix the mess.the axle tubes are not cast iron .
    I've never heard of this before. The gear oil around the diff is usually due to a bad pinion seal or differential cover gasket. My axle tubes are bone dry.

So what are the axle tubes made of if they are not cast iron??

black
    2002 TA WS7

wesman u kno the axles r made of plastic jk jk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information