The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

98 Z28 Knock Sensor

Yesterday my check engine light desided to pop up on me, So i took it to autozone and had them run it for a code. It came up as a knock sensor code. What do you guys recommend i should do ? its a 98 z28 A4 with 142k on the clock but its in amazing condtion. The guy at autozone told me to just replace the knock sensor and i will be fine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    Yesterday my check engine light desided to pop up on me, So i took it to autozone and had them run it for a code. It came up as a knock sensor code. What do you guys recommend i should do ? its a 98 z28 A4 with 142k on the clock but its in amazing condtion. The guy at autozone told me to just replace the knock sensor and i will be fine.
    the knock sensors are pretty easy to replace. They're under the intake. There's a nice write up at ls1howto.com on swapping intakes that pretty much gives you the step by step on doing it. What I would recommend is upgrading to the newer style sensor and harness. I got mine through GM parts direct I think and it was ~$90 for both sensors and harness. Your first time doing it I'd say it'll take you an hour or so to do the job. If you do take extreme care in not breaking the oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor is located on the drivers side rear of the block behind the intake. The brake booster hose is the hose that'll break it off so take extreme care when pulling that hose out.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

alright thanks, im going to replace it tommorow and see if the light will turn off.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

whats the max time you should wait before replacing the knock sensors if there reading bad ? the car runs like a champ and i believe its the only front sensor thats bad and not sure even how bad the front one is because the light just came on when i was driving.

Thread Information