White
    1998 Trans Am

98 TransAm fuel smell

I have a 98 Trans Am with a strong fuel smell in the car when at idle and mostly when the cabin fan is on. There doesn't appear to be any external leaks that can be found. The fuel pump gasket has been checked and replaced. A smoke test revealed a small leak at the gas cap [I](can't imagine this could be the culprit). Any ideas where this could be? Only code that has been thrown was P0440 EVAP.

thanks for your help.
    98 bird

black
    2002 WS6

it could be the remote chance that there is a small leak in a shrader valve on the fuel rail. I doesn't take a lot of fuel to creat a strong smell. Take a good flash light and check around everything, use a small mirror if you need. If it has been leaking long enough there may be some staining.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for the response Orcus79. Checked the schrader this morning and no evidence of staining or gas smell when I rubbed my finger around it. Another fact than may help resolve this is the car sit for about a year. I spoke with a local ACDelco shop this morning and without looking at it they suggested it could be the o-rings around the injectors have dry rotted. They indicated this was fairly common occurance on the LS1. If this is the case, a couple of questions.....

How long of a job to change out the o-rings? Difficulty 1 -> 5
    Should the injectors be replaced as well as the orings?
    Does the air need to be purged from the system after change? How?

They also indicated that the plentum may need to be pulled to get at the problem. Sounds extreme to me, if it's just an o-ring around the injector.

98 bird
    PS> engine doesn't have a discernable mis-fire.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Anybody out there?

black
    2002 WS6

Well level of difficulty I dunno, haven;t worked on a set yet, but I would have to say probably around a 2 or three for the average person.

Injectors shouldn't need to be changed unless they are right plugged or have a ton of miles. That hard part is changing the o-rings.

Any air that get in will be purged out as it is a recriculating system and any traped air will be sent back tot he return line to the tank or purged via the injectors.

As for the plenum I am guessing the intake, It would be certainly easier to do with it off and any debris will fall to the ground in stead of inside a cylinder. Just be very warry of the oil pressure sending unit and you will need a special too to remove the fuel lines.

Thread Information