Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

98 trans am no power

This is a discussion on 98 trans am no power within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; my slp set up didnt come with any inserts for 02 sensors. do i have to drill and tap them ...

RED
    1998 Trans Am

my slp set up didnt come with any inserts for 02 sensors. do i have to drill and tap them in? im confused with the whole 02 sensor thing. thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

all you got was a catback correct? If so you don't have to do anything with the O2's. If you pull the cats you can take off the rear O2's altogether but you'll need to get the codes deleted. The front O2's have to stay on there no matter what you do.

Red
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

I've had the same problem with my stock 2002 Firehawk, 6spd, except it only loses power when I step on it at about 70-80 MHP. It's a dog. It feels like a rev limiter, except it's only at around 3,000-3,500 RPM so can't be that. I was also thinking it was the MAS. I never thought about the CATs. Keep us posted please, as it may help me solve my problem too.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You can't delete the cats without an off road y pipe. You could "gut" them by taking a hammer and chisel and going to town on them. My recommendation is long tube headers with an off road y pipe. Then a dyno tune.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

my 00 ss m6 had the same problem when i bought it, i was so pissed bc i knew it wasn't right..
    so i changed the plugs, wires, fluids, no luck, the car felt the same way, then i cleaned the tb, MAF sensor, still no luck, so i got to the point i wanted to sell it, when i went to the mechanic and said the i looked like the fuel filter never been changed, so he replaced the gas filter, at the minute i start up the car it felt the difference, in my case that was the problem, the car had 120k miles, so you might wanna try that,
    also i replaced one cat, that made the car runs way better..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    my 00 ss m6 had the same problem when i bought it, i was so pissed bc i knew it wasn't right..
    so i changed the plugs, wires, fluids, no luck, the car felt the same way, then i cleaned the tb, MAF sensor, still no luck, so i got to the point i wanted to sell it, when i went to the mechanic and said the i looked like the fuel filter never been changed, so he replaced the gas filter, at the minute i start up the car it felt the difference, in my case that was the problem, the car had 120k miles, so you might wanna try that,
    also i replaced one cat, that made the car runs way better..
    good post.......definitely worth looking into.

Red
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Yes that's a good point. It could be the fuel filter. The last time I changed it out with an aftermarket unit so maybe it didn't last as long as stock. I think I have around 40K miles on it. I was even thinking injecors, but I don't have any other symptoms, so I'll try the fuel filter first. Seems like a good idea to start with the basics.
    Thanks!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm going to guess plugged cats also. Most likely (not always) a plugged fuel filter would cause a lean condition which would case detonation. I would think you would see a misfire code with that.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Good point.

When I had a bad coil, I was severely down on power but the code or SES light refused to appear.

Only when I flogged it would it code (random misfire) with a flashing SES light.

Turned out the coil was functioning enough to run to about 1/2 throttle normally, so the light would go out if you drove it normally.

But again as soon as you'd try passing, it acted like it had no power..

It idled just fine too.

My point is,, it's quite possible there "could" be a code getting thrown from his ignition system.

If the light is going out or your steering wheel is blocking your view of the light when it's on, it's also possible the OP is not catching it when it's on.

RED
    1998 Trans Am

thanks for all the tips, somethings gotta give hate having a nice ride with no power.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Updates?

RED
    1998 Trans Am

well,i got my slp exhaust put on and i think it sounds great, im really happy with setup. it woke the car up a little, it has alot better throttle response time. i still think it could be quicker but maybe has something to do with ses light i need to figure out what that is all about.

RED
    1998 Trans Am

well,i got my slp exhaust put on and i think it sounds great, im really happy with setup. it woke the car up a little, it has alot better throttle response time. i still think it could be quicker but maybe has something to do with ses light i need to figure out what that is all about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information