Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

97 Bird Headlight question also engine noise question

I've got a 97 Firebird A4 LT1 with 100k on it. The drivers side headlight assembly is beyond repair, although is still attached and goes up and down fine. Both headlight bulbs are also fine. The drivers side light motor is stripped, but still engages enough to power the light up and down. When i brought the car home, the parking lights came on with the key in the on position as they should, but recently, the headlights now also pop up when i key the ign. on. Also, even with the key on, regardless of what i do with the headlight switch, they stay up. What would cause this?

In the engine bay, at idle the motor runs perfect and it runs great through the entire RPM range, however, once you come into the throttle, either with a Blip the throttle a bit (or even laying into it), as soon as the motor responds, i hear a whine that makes the noise that a noisy fuel pump would make. At the same time i hear this noise, everything electrical on the car flickers for nothing more than a millisecond, but it is enough that you notice it. Would this have something to do with the alternator kicking in and charging? Any clues? Thanks in advance.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The first problem is related to the gear. Have you tried flipping the stock gear over yet and see if that fixes the problem there? It only uses half of that gear. You may get lucky when you flip it. I didn't and had to swap it out with the brass replacement.

The second one *sounds* to me like maybe your alternator is the culprit. Maybe the bearings are starting to go out? Just a possibility. I guess it could also be the bearings on another pulley and dragging the alternator down. I would get out under the hood and see if you can pinpoint the noise.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

The gear, not being in the same position as the other side, does that control and end-position-switch or something that is causing these lights to try to 'equalize' on startup? Or are you just talking about the thing being stripped?

Well, it is definitely something that turns on and then off. Almost as if it were a radiator fan, or a/c compressor, but it isn't either of these. If at idle i burp the throttle, it comes on, runs for maybe 5 seconds and shuts off until i hit the throttle again. It doesn't change the load on the engine (as if the a/c compressor kicked in, you can hear/feel that one 'bog' the motor down a bit) and I've not done anything to the car (fuel filter, fluid changes etc) yet, as i just got it a few weeks ago and don't plan to drive it until spring (gives me a while to find any of these little quirks). Hope maybe that might help?
    Last edited by Zapper2003; 12-13-2006 at 03:04 AM. Reason: re: to gear question

Thread Information