94 z28

This is a discussion on 94 z28 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I recently bought bbk headers for my lt1 and and have to remove the steering column and done kniw how ...

Black
    94 Z28

94 z28

I recently bought bbk headers for my lt1 and and have to remove the steering column and done kniw how to do it i got as far as taking the steering wheel off and the turn signal retainer but not all the way it was still hooked up to cables now im lost and wondering if i should unbolt the front where the steering connects to the front wheels well the middle part of it forgot the name.
    Thanks for the help

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Why do you have to take the steering column off?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I think he meant the steering knuckle.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black
    94 Z28

Oh bec the header wont fit and hits the colomn when ever i try to fit it i see no other way and by removing that it would go in smoothly

Black
    94 Z28

Thanks meant to say steering knuckle

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Loosen steering column from rack and pinion, you MIGHT have to loosen the rack to let it hang off the K-member for extra space.

Black
    94 Z28

Thanks got it out and headers fit now need to put everything back

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Good to hear.

Black
    94 Z28

Bad news now i cant put the knuckel back together to the upper link where the bearing is i took it off with some pressure now need to put it backbin its hell trying to slide that think back in and secure it with its clamps might have to take header off and dovit before installing it

Black
    94 Z28

And and the steering knuckel.is also hitting the header when ever the steering wheel is moved so i guess its bec it not pushedbin all the way my guess

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You might have to push the two ends together or open the sleeve on the one end a little to slide the two ends back together.

Black
    94 Z28

got it but another problem

The bbk k header doesnt have the clearance and the steering shaft rubs against it and can move is there any way i can get a slimmer shaft its the top of it that is too think if only it coyld be slimmer is there any site where they sell a slimmer one

Black
    94 Z28

how to put new motor mounts

Recently i discoverd that i need more of a clearence for my steering shaft to to hit my new bbk header and i need the engine mount to be a bit higher or replace the old one is this an easy task to do and r there higher engine mounts availible i have a 94 z28

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You might have to go with solid motor mounts for clearance. Other members have.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

With all the problems i just have to ask.....Was the application for these headers for your specific car?

Black
    94 Z28

Yeah they were for my year and model direct bolt on part and for the solid motor mount wouldnt that give the car hard knocks when i hit pot holes what about those energy suspension im pretty sure they r old and have a slught bend the side that is facing the engine bec it had a collition before i bought it bot a big one on the side just enough to bend the fender frame well that might be a medium one i guess but today when i jacked the engine driver side there was enough clearance for the shaft to move around and not hit the header but im kinda worried where i lifted it from it was the side of the block and i was told to put a flat board on a jack and luft it from the oil pan i tryed this and made a cracking noise and was wondering where u lift it from with out breaking the car

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hopefully the impact didn't damage the car too much.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Use a thicker piece of wood to place on the jack. It will act as a cushion for the oil pan.

Thread Information