Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

green
    1994 trans am

94 ta electric fans don't work

Hi I recently bought a 1994 Trans Am with the lt-1 engine. The car runs anbd drives great. The engine gets warm if I sit in traffic or if I just let the car sit in one spot and idle, but the second I start driving the temp goes right back down. My friend and I narrowed it down to the electric fans not working. We checked the relays and they are good. We also checked the fans by jumping a wire in the relay box and the work. We also put it on a computer and the cars' computer is telling the fans to turn on, but they will not turn on. Any ideas? I think it may be bad wires some where but anyone out there has any ideas I would totally appreciate it. thanks andy

black
    1989 formula 305

relays: ok
    fan motors : ok
    computer signal: ok

inbetween the relay and the fans there is a short, or burned wire. recheck relays.

Try jumpering the pins at the DLC and see if they come on. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling

green
    1994 trans am

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyrows666 View Post
    relays: ok
    fan motors : ok
    computer signal: ok

inbetween the relay and the fans there is a short, or burned wire. recheck relays.
    you are right. i found some burned up wires under the relay/fuse box and on the inner drivers' side fender wall. it looks like a shitty job to fix them but hopefully i can get to them without pulling out the anti lock brake stuff.

green
    1994 trans am

thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Try jumpering the pins at the DLC and see if they come on. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling
    thanks for your link. it is awesome in detail and really appreciate it.

green
    1994 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by andyp_76 View Post
    thanks for your link. it is awesome in detail and really appreciate it.
    well it was not the burnt up wires thought i had thought it was. i know believe it is the computer. if i am way wrong here lt me know.

Did you try jumpering the pins and turning the key on?

green
    1994 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Did you try jumpering the pins and turning the key on?
    to check and make sure the fans actually work? yes. they work, just won't come on when they are supposed to.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Did you check the block sensor? I think it is right in front of the starter just below the exhaust manifold.

green
    1994 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Did you check the block sensor? I think it is right in front of the starter just below the exhaust manifold.
    i replaced the temp sensor on the front of the timing cover/water pump? i did not replace the sensor in the head because that one goes directly to the gauge whereas the other one goes to the computer. is this the same sensor you are talking about?

Not really sure i but what about the T-Stat ? I had a problem and that all it was on mine

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

i replaced the temp sensor on the front of the timing cover/water pump? i did not replace the sensor in the head because that one goes directly to the gauge whereas the other one goes to the computer. is this the same sensor you are talking about?
    There is another sensor in the block, it tells when to turn on the fans. It is on the passenger side near the motor mount. Forgot to ask, when you turn on the a/c do the fans come on?

green
    1994 trans am

There is another sensor in the block, it tells when to turn on the fans. It is on the passenger side near the motor mount. Forgot to ask, when you turn on the a/c do the fans come on?
    to answer 1 question. yes i changed the thermostat. the fans do not come on when the ac is on. do think that it still might be the block sensor even though the fans do not come on when the ac is on?

hey there ok did you check out the other link on this problem http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85882 seem like a lot of good ideas over there

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

to answer 1 question. yes i changed the thermostat. the fans do not come on when the ac is on. do think that it still might be the block sensor even though the fans do not come on when the ac is on?
    I dont think so. Did you trace the wire from the relay to the fans to see if it is cut? I know you said the relays were good. Did you see if the wires from the computer to the relay is good? Make sure you have power there. If you need wire colors I can get them.

green
    1994 trans am

I dont think so. Did you trace the wire from the relay to the fans to see if it is cut? I know you said the relays were good. Did you see if the wires from the computer to the relay is good? Make sure you have power there. If you need wire colors I can get them.
    wire colors would be great. i think i am oging to try the engine block sensor thing. i think it'll be a cheap easy thing to do so why not? the wires looked fine except for the one going to the air pump. but at this point i could just as well check them again.

green
    1994 trans am

[QUOTE=andyp_76;1470373]to answer 1 question. yes i changed the thermostat. the fans do not come on when the ac is on. do think that it still might be the block sensor even though the fans do not come on when the ac is on?[/QUOTE is the sensor you are talking about a knock sensor?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Try tracing the wires to see if any are cut or burnt first, it is cheaper than replacing parts. Did you try to jump the terminals with the relay out?

green
    1994 trans am

Try tracing the wires to see if any are cut or burnt first, it is cheaper than replacing parts. Did you try to jump the terminals with the relay out?
    yes and the fans come on when i do that.

if you jump out the relay and it works has no choice but to ber the relay , change the relay it has no choice but to be bad

Thread Information