93 Trans Am replaced fans amd coolant temp sensor....

This is a discussion on 93 Trans Am replaced fans amd coolant temp sensor.... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I know you guys have probably answered this one before, but here it goes. I have a 93 Trans am ...

Black
    1993 Trans Am

93 Trans Am replaced fans amd coolant temp sensor....

I know you guys have probably answered this one before, but here it goes. I have a 93 Trans am which is overheating. Until recently i never had a problem and the fans always came on almost immediately after starting the vehicle. The temp. on the gauge also never use to go above the first slash on it. Now the temp will climb right about to red, but i wont let it go that far because it freaks me out. I replaced the fans and the coolant temp sensor on the water pump and i still am not having any fan activity. Keep in mind I have over 200,000k on this beast. side note: maybe the previous owner had one of those summit racing fan override relay things installed and it died or something, and maybe thats why the fans use to run so low...? just throwing it out there...Any help is appreciated. She is my daily driver.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

You checked the fuse and swapped the fan relay?

Black
    1993 Trans Am

Yea, replaced all the relays and fuses because i already had new ones lying around. Also the fans don't turn on when i turn on the A/C. One thing about the fuse box on the side of the dash tho. There s a blue wire that goes to the 5 fuse for the radio(literally going across the fuse box and branching down in with a copper connection strip that goes over the fuse leg. Is that normally there? If the vehicle is warm and i unhook the sensor on the pump the fans will turn on. unhooked cold the vehicle won't start. I was truthfully starting to think maybe the pcm is bad or something. I formerly worked for Mobil 1 for years and have pretty extensive knowledge on both vehicles and lubricants and testing of the parts. So this one is really stumping me. Thanks again guys

Black
    1993 Trans Am

On a 2nd thought, I was thinking maybe one of the other sensors that the pcm uses in conjunction with the coolant temp. sensor is bad...? just throwin it out there for thought.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

The red lead to the relays should be hot all the time, the realy is triggered from the PCM. The temperature sensor goes from high ohms cold to low (70 ohms) hot and signals the PCM to turn on the fans .5 volt signal from the PCM to the sensor, the dark green wire from the PCM should trigger the relay. Check these things and let us know what you find.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

all wiring seems good. Unhook the sensor the fans come on. means pcm is working? There is a little box with a 3 wire connector going into passengers side radiator then sleeved wires continue up to pcm harness and one of the wires has a black cap on the end the other 2 go into the pcm. I've never inspected anyones lt1 but mine, seem normal? also i have a red wire coming off my Positive batter terminal connection on the strut tower which halfway up has a box that says Accelle and has a top that opens for 2 wire connections, after the box continues to lower pcm harness then dissappears in the sleeve. Any thought on that as well? prior stereo setup that was removed maybe?

Thread Information