Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

6.0L V8 swap in 00 WS6

I been thinking about this lately,i want to get about 400 hp out of my LS1 but i was wondering how many mods i may need to complete this task? so i came up with a solution that probably would be cheaper dropping a 6.0L V8 engine in the T/A instead.What would i need to make the 6.0L V8 to work in my 2000 WS6? Also what engine would be better to use the LS2 from the Corvette or the LS2 from the 2005-06 GTO?
    Last edited by fbodyNATION; 07-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Pewter Metallic

just checked ebay for a used LS2 engine & the cheapest price i found was $5500,man for that price i could buy another 98-02 T/A or Camaro,& im currently looking for a 4th gen SS or Z28 anyway,i think my best bet would be to get a wrecked Vette or GTO from the auction

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

All you should need to do to swap the ls2 in is swap your stock oil pan and pick up, motor mounts, and your acessories like your alternator power steering pump and possibly water pump assembly. keep in mind the fly by wire throttlebody will not work in your car. but the wiring harness and stock computer will hook up to the engine. i swapped a 6.0 lq4 in to my 99 T/A this is all i had to do other than drilling and tapping a hole for the alternator bracket. though i think it would be much cheaper to achieve 400hp through bolt ons than to buy an ls2. hope this helps.
    Last edited by bluonblk99; 07-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bluonblk99 View Post
    All you should need to do to swap the ls2 in is swap your stock oil pan and pick up, motor mounts, and your acessories like your alternator power steering pump and possibly water pump assembly. keep in mind the fly by wire throttlebody will not work in your car. but the wiring harness and stock computer will hook up to the engine. i swapped a 6.0 lq4 in to my 99 T/A this is all i had to do other than drilling and tapping a hole for the alternator bracket. though i think it would be much cheaper to achieve 400hp through bolt ons than to buy an ls2. hope this helps.
    thanks,i dont really want a cam,but if i needed one to get 400hp i would want a mild cam,something that is not loud and i hate too much noise,but with what simple bolt ons can i do to get 400 hp?

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

Probably an intake something like an ls6 and throttle body an aftermarket airlid and headers. you could do a mild cam maybe even a set of ls6 heads or a set of aftermarkets.

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

of course a cam and a better intake and throttle body will require bigger injectors and a good computer tune

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

are you talking 400 at the motor or wheels? 400 at the motor is done with just simple bolt ons like headers, udp, tune etc. 400 at the wheels will require something internal. If you have a 6spd all you really need is a mild cam in the mid 220's range on duration under.600 lift and a 114 lsa. With supporting bolt ons thats easily 400 at the tires. Will you be able to tell the car is cammed? Absolutley, but why wouldnt you want that sound? lol If you car is an auto you wont see 400whp without a big cam or a mild cam with a decent set of heads autos soak up more power than m6's so thats the reason for that. Dont get caught up in dynos though every one is different and will yield different readings. If you want 400whp and dont want the lopey cam sound. Look into a ls6 conversion ie ls6 cam and ls6 heads you cant tell its in there and with an m6 400whp is not uncommon.

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    are you talking 400 at the motor or wheels? 400 at the motor is done with just simple bolt ons like headers, udp, tune etc. 400 at the wheels will require something internal. If you have a 6spd all you really need is a mild cam in the mid 220's range on duration under.600 lift and a 114 lsa. With supporting bolt ons thats easily 400 at the tires. Will you be able to tell the car is cammed? Absolutley, but why wouldnt you want that sound? lol If you car is an auto you wont see 400whp without a big cam or a mild cam with a decent set of heads autos soak up more power than m6's so thats the reason for that. Dont get caught up in dynos though every one is different and will yield different readings. If you want 400whp and dont want the lopey cam sound. Look into a ls6 conversion ie ls6 cam and ls6 heads you cant tell its in there and with an m6 400whp is not uncommon.
    thanks for your response,but i might just opt for a LS2 from a 05-06 GTO or Corvette,that way i will have 400 hp and wont have that stupid cam noise,they're plenty of em at the auto auction LoL! plus i have an automatic,i dont want to get into swapping heads etc.but if i get the LS2 would i have to buy a stronger rear end?

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bluonblk99 View Post
    of course a cam and a better intake and throttle body will require bigger injectors and a good computer tune
    the LS2 sounds pretty good LoL!

yellow
    2004 gto

i don't understand you're logic. 400hp with an ls1 is well with in reach with a good tune and full bolt on's. having to swap engines and sell all the parts to get some money back just for 400hp sounds like a big hassle. ls1's already put down over 300 stock on the rollers, invest in you're ls1. you already know it's a healthy platform to start off of. this is IMHO.

yellow
    2004 gto

i could see a 6.0 iron block being worth it over the ls2 cost wise. that's why you see them being done a whole lot. not many ls2's fbody swaps. there is a big bang for you're buck factor.

black
    1998 ws6

i got the lq9 in mine with a good sized cam and intake with milled heads and it works very well with tones of tourque and power the only complaint is the tires are hard to keep

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Thread Information