6.0 swap?

This is a discussion on 6.0 swap? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I see a lot of people on here who seem to know alot about building up these cars so I ...

2002 Camaro Z28

6.0 swap?

I see a lot of people on here who seem to know alot about building up these cars so I was wondering about a 6.0 LQ4 swap. There are some of these motors out there for pretty cheap. Without stroking it, and only doing bolt ons like cam, heads, lt's, intake, and tune...etc. Would this be a good way to make a lot of power and what all needs to be changed as far as accessories to make it bolt into the car? In this case my 02 Z28 A4. Would like to get around 400 to the wheels. Or would I be better off rebuilding my LS1? I was thinking if I could find a low mileage LQ4 I wouldn't rebuild it, just run the short block as is. Thanks
    Andy

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Everything swaps over. You wont wanna run the 317 heads on the LQ4. Need to bump the compression up slightly, due to the dished piston the LQ4 has. 400 to the wheels wont be a problem with a decent size cam and a decent head. I would go with the LQ4 over rebuilding thee LS1 personally. 4" bore opens up so many more possibility's for head selection, specifically the L92 heads. You may have to drill and tap a hole for the alternator. Also I think pre 2003, the LQ4 had a 58x reluctor wheel. You don't want that, you would have to buy the converter to get it down to 24x.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

white red strips
    01 z28

im doin the same thing in my 01 z28 what is the best heads and cam to put on my stock lq4

white
    2000 trans am

LQ9 10:1 comp. What is LQ4?

white
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Everything swaps over. You wont wanna run the 317 heads on the LQ4. Need to bump the compression up slightly, due to the dished piston the LQ4 has. 400 to the wheels wont be a problem with a decent size cam and a decent head. I would go with the LQ4 over rebuilding thee LS1 personally. 4" bore opens up so many more possibility's for head selection, specifically the L92 heads. You may have to drill and tap a hole for the alternator. Also I think pre 2003, the LQ4 had a 58x reluctor wheel. You don't want that, you would have to buy the converter to get it down to 24x.
    My 2003 Lq9 has 24x.

white red strips
    01 z28

Quote Originally Posted by squirlnutz View Post
    LQ9 10:1 comp. What is LQ4?
    lq4 is 9:1 comp

i want to know should i leave 317 on my car and just buy a cam or should i buy ls6 stage 2.5 head cam combo for $1800 or 6.0 2.5 head cam combo for $1800

white
    2000 trans am

If you can buy a head, camshaft package then that is what you should do. The 317 heads are the same as LS6 but a larger combustion chamber. A LQ9 has 10:1 comp with the 317's so Ill use mine but if I had the money I would probably purchace a set of L92 rec. port heads CNC machined. Many companies offer these heads CNC for cheep. They will also support a much larger camshaft. GM offers a low profile intake for these heads or you can save a little more and get a F.A.S.T intake

white red strips
    01 z28

i hear bad things about l92 heads i dont think i got anuf cube to use them im still stock bottemend i thinking about just getting my 317 heads ported and shaved to makin a smaller chamber does any one no any one who could do a good job and a price

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

i hate to revive an old thread here but i just had a rod start knocking in my 98 ls1 t/a auto...so if i understand this right i can just get an lq4 and put in my car with no mods except for the alternator bracket?...no swapping computers or anything?...except maybe motor mounts...and are the heads just a horsepower suggestion or is that something i need to do to get it to run in my car?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by timboo04 View Post
    i hate to revive an old thread here but i just had a rod start knocking in my 98 ls1 t/a auto...so if i understand this right i can just get an lq4 and put in my car with no mods except for the alternator bracket?...no swapping computers or anything?...except maybe motor mounts...and are the heads just a horsepower suggestion or is that something i need to do to get it to run in my car?
    yes it should all go in just like ls1...you would need to change the oil pan, windage tray, oil pickup tube, intake manifold and motor mounts all from your ls1 and drill and tap hole for alternator. all lq4's are 24x reluctor wheel so all you need to do is swap your parts, and get computer tuned....also, as i have learned recently, the oil sending units have different plugs, so take your ls1 sending unit and put it in the 6liter.....as far as the 317 heads, i believe they recommend the changing mainly to raise compression, as the lq4's have dished pistons giving it a lower compression than ls1 and lq9, which shouldnt matter much depending on how much power you are trying to make. As long as you stay 2004 or older LS engine, they should all have the 24x reluctor wheel...easy way to tell is the crank sensor for 24x reluctor wheel is black, while the 58x wheel has grey sensor.
    Last edited by jiveass; 05-07-2012 at 06:22 AM.

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

thanks alot...i think u pretty much answered all of my concerns...i think i may just do this...thanks

Thread Information