Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

572 Vs 383 what should i do?

So ive talked to the guy about my new job this summer and my estimated earnings in three months. I was curious as to which would be better and whats going to be involved.

A place around town said they could build me a 383 rated at about 500 hp more if i can pay for a custom manifold. I was thinking a 383 on go go juice would be around 600. Total cost would run around 8 or 9k and the car would still be fuel injected and not carborated using my LT1 block to build the 383.

I was looking online and summit has the High performance 572 for 12k but i dont know what would be involved because the car has to be switched over to carboration. Ive heard its harder to start when its really cold and it gulps down gas like a mother. The upside is it puts down 750hp and 650 torque.

Im thinking however the 383 build would be alot more reliable and more daily drivable but the down side is having to keep the bottles in the car when i go to the track and cars tuned for it run like crap when they arent on it.

Down side to the 572 is ill get OHHH 9 miles to the gallon or less as well as the fact the car goes from fuel injected to carborated.

Anyway just woundering what you all think. Also either way the car will need a new rear end in it. The stock one will snap like a twig.

Thanks guys.

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

first the car should run good on or off the spray or the tune is crap. if you go with a wet flow system the big difference in tune should be timing. if you go big block have you figured in the cost of the xtra stuff for the swap? and have you figured the weight difference, which would all be over the front end where you don't want it.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if i was you i would look at just geting a ls moter from like texas speed. get like a 402/408 and you can get a 500 rwhp with one of them. and if you get a 6 speed with it you can still get hafe way good mpg. just my .02

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'd just build a 383/402/408, cam and heads package easily 500+ to the ground if ya want, talk or PM Mr.Luos he's got a great setup and its streetable

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i'd just build a 383/402/408, cam and heads package easily 500+ to the ground if ya want, talk or PM Mr.Luos he's got a great setup and its streetable
    ya he has a good set you that i wish i could have in my car. here is a list of what he has for his cotm.http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82619

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon1110 View Post
    first the car should run good on or off the spray or the tune is crap. if you go with a wet flow system the big difference in tune should be timing. if you go big block have you figured in the cost of the xtra stuff for the swap? and have you figured the weight difference, which would all be over the front end where you don't want it.
    i agree with this guy. fuel injection should run good no matter WHAT.

-you'll never wanna work on your car again after puttin a big block in there, it's tight enough as it is. and dont fool yourself there WILL be mods and fabs necessary on car to complete a BB swap.

get the block you have machined and go big cubes, it'll be less of a headache doin all the work and it'll be reliable. stroker LTs are awesome, ravenous machines. as for an LS swap, i dont see a point if you already have a good LT block, unless you find a package for CHEAP.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'd say go with the 383. It weighs less, will use much less fuel, and you won't have to modify anything to get it to fit.

A carb'd 572 will be a fuel slut. We're talking single digits MPG on a good day, and if you drive it hard, much worse than that. Not to mention carburators just plain suck in general. Cold start issues, warm start issues, hesitations, flooding, and you have to adjust them every season to compensate for changes in air temps. Theres a reason we don't use carbs anymore, they are primative and outdated, and fuel injection is 100 times better.

red
    2000 camaro ss

well wes i always agree with ya, and usually like your blunt"ness", but while carbs are ancient history at this point, they still have their place which is convenience in certain projects. my .02

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    well wes i always agree with ya, and usually like your blunt"ness", but while carbs are ancient history at this point, they still have their place which is convenience in certain projects. my .02
    Definitely...but not a project thats doing to be a daily driver

red
    2000 camaro ss

surely not.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

572 is just bragging rights, "I've got a 572, king of the castle, king of the castle!"

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

I have a chair!, o yea and how u gonna pass emissions with a 572 that doesn't have an ECU?

2002 z28 camaro

you can just build a 383 lt1, this one is n/a and runs 10.5x's

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-r...ar-lt1-na.html

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    I have a chair!, o yea and how u gonna pass emissions with a 572 that doesn't have an ECU?
    emmissions? whats that? surely you dont think a H/C LT will pass emissions if it's 95 and below.

Black
    1980 Chevrolet Camaro

good luck gettin 9 miles to a gallon with that 572 man..you MIGHT get it with your car in neutral..going downhill..and a gust of wind..lol..carbs suck your gas down..my 1980 wit a 305 gets 15 in the city and and maybe 17 on the highway..but thats also with a turbo 400 backin it up

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    emmissions? whats that? surely you dont think a H/C LT will pass emissions if it's 95 and below.
    deff not if its a 95 and below

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah ive asked another forum and they have also said to go with the 383. I think it would be a whole lot better then trying to shove the 572 under the hood and 500HP on a 383 is a proven set up and easily daily driveable around town. Im sure itll take time to get used to lol with a bit more HP but im sure itll be well worth it plus the 383 set up is gona run me 10k where as the 572 is 15k or 16k just for the engine to fit in the car. It leaves me money left over and if the 383 and bottle at the track becomes less then what i want i can just supercharge it or something.

Thanks for your help guys

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Yeah ive asked another forum and they have also said to go with the 383. I think it would be a whole lot better then trying to shove the 572 under the hood and 500HP on a 383 is a proven set up and easily daily driveable around town. Im sure itll take time to get used to lol with a bit more HP but im sure itll be well worth it plus the 383 set up is gona run me 10k where as the 572 is 15k or 16k just for the engine to fit in the car. It leaves me money left over and if the 383 and bottle at the track becomes less then what i want i can just supercharge it or something.

Thanks for your help guys

Black
    2000 CamaroSS Intimidator

I think the only thing you would need to think bout is do you want to drive the car on the street anymore..... Carb motors are illegal less there 25 years older because of the new immisions laws.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have to say, I have NEVER hear of any one asking between two engines with such a BROAD CI span.

402 or 408.... yea sure...

408 or 418... sure

383 or 572

WTF? Just seems like you were going in two complete different directions there.

Thread Information