Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

5 quarts or 5.5 quarts??

This is a discussion on 5 quarts or 5.5 quarts?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Cool thanks. I'll give that a shot. I think they carry ACdelco too so I can ...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Cool thanks. I'll give that a shot. I think they carry ACdelco too so I can do a side by side comparison. I'm curious if they are even larger yet.
    I need to make a run to GM dealer for a battery cable and it's practically next door, works out good for me. Cheers.
    No problem- the Pep Boys near my house carries them-so I am thinking they all should.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    K&N HP2006 or Mobil 1 M1-206 or equivilent (they are for LSX based truck engines). It holds an extra .5 qt.
    how much taller is it?

Thats what I am curious about.

The ACdelco PF62 that I use only hangs about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch below the pan, nothing to worry about in my case. The AC PF62 that is slightly larger than stock doesn't hold 1/2 quart more I don't believe. Maybe 1/4 quart or so,,,the diameter of these things are just tiny. So I'm thinking the K&N or the Mobil must be longer than the PF62 if they hold 1/2 quart more than the stocker.

I wouldn't mind something with more capacity actually since these filters are so dinky. I'm going to find out as soon as I get up there to compare.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Thats what I am curious about.

The ACdelco PF62 that I use only hangs about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch below the pan, nothing to worry about in my case. The AC PF62 that is slightly larger than stock doesn't hold 1/2 quart more I don't believe. Maybe 1/4 quart or so,,,the diameter of these things are just tiny. So I'm thinking the K&N or the Mobil must be longer than the PF62 if they hold 1/2 quart more than the stocker.

I wouldn't mind something with more capacity actually since these filters are so dinky. I'm going to find out as soon as I get up there to compare.
    I have a couple of imports i wouldn't mind doing that on since the filter is on the side of the block, One of them takes a K&N HP-1010, how can i find out if they make a slightly bigger filter?

LS series oil filter update

Okay I stopped at Pep Boys. Here's what I found.

The longer K&N HP2006 and the Mobil M1-206 still isn't as long as the filter I currently run,,,the ACdelco PF61.

Here are some measurements I took: These are in order from shortest to longest,,,,with the stock filter the book calls for being the shortest, kinda cute looking,,,lol.

All of these filters measure about 2 7/8 inches in diameter, rather small.

ACdelco PF46 or 47?? is only 3 1/4 inches long Stock passenger car LS1

Fram PH3675 is 4 inches long. This is the truck filter, only stock was Fram brand at this time.

K&N HP2006 is also 4 inches long.

Mobil M1-206 is also 4 inches long.

ACdelco PF61 is 4 1/2 inches long.

There you have it. The truck filter as the book refers to still isn't as long as the PF61 I use, neither are the K&N and Mobil For those with LS series trucks keep this in mind if you want more filter.

It was mentioned the K&N and Mobil hold another 1/2 quart. Not to question what may be written somewhere, but I can't see it.

The stock filter is 3 1/4 inches in length and these others in question are only 4 inches. All of them are only 2 7/8 inches in diameter.

How someone is putting another 1/2 quart in something that is only 3/4 inches deep and 2 7/8 inch diameter is beyond me

The one I use is only another 1/2 inch in length,,,I still don't think 1/2 quart is possible,,,but every little bit counts.

For those worried about ground clearance,,,the one I use (PF61) only hangs about 1/2 inch below the pan.

If you run the truck filter, the K&N, or the Mobil filters,,,,,they should be just about parrallel with the oil pan,,, since these are 1/2 inch shorter ,,,,so no worries.

Hope that helps.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Thumbs up

The longer K&N HP2006 and the Mobil M1-206 still isn't as long as the filter I currently run,,,the ACdelco PF61.

Here are some measurements I took: These are in order from shortest to longest,,,,with the stock filter the book calls for being the shortest, kinda cute looking,,,lol.

Fram PH3675 is 4 inches long. This is the truck filter, only stock was Fram brand at this time.

There you have it. The truck filter as the book refers to still isn't as long as the PF61 I use, neither are the K&N and Mobil For those with LS series trucks keep this in mind if you want more filter.

It was mentioned the K&N and Mobil hold another 1/2 quart. Not to question what may be written somewhere, but I can't see it.

The stock filter is 3 1/4 inches in length and these others in question are only 4 inches. All of them are only 2 7/8 inches in diameter.

How someone is putting another 1/2 quart in something that is only 3/4 inches deep and 2 7/8 inch diameter is beyond me

The one I use is only another 1/2 inch in length,,,I still don't think 1/2 quart is possible,,,but every little bit counts.

For those worried about ground clearance,,,the one I use (PF61) only hangs about 1/2 inch below the pan.

If you run the truck filter, the K&N, or the Mobil filters,,,,,they should be just about parrallel with the oil pan,,, since these are 1/2 inch shorter ,,,,so no worries.

Hope that helps.
    Good job on the research Larry!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Good job on the research Larry!
    X2!!! Now I don't have to go to Pep Boys and carry around Vernier Calipers and open 10 boxes!

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    X2!!! Now I don't have to go to Pep Boys and carry around Vernier Calipers and open 10 boxes!
    Thats what I do all the time for the cars. I did this a long time ago for the LS1 but couldn't remember my research, but I knew there was a reason I wound up with the ACdelco PF61. So I went back and did it again.
    Glad it helped.
    I even did this for my lawn tractor,,,,,

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Hope that helps.

Outstanding work!! I and a bunch of others sure do appreciate it!! I am gonna go with the K@N HP2006

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Hope that helps.
    Some good info, thanks for posting it up. One thing to keep in mind is two of the same size filters can hold different amounts of fluid. All depends on what is inside and how they are designed. Personally I don't worry to much about getting an oversized filter since I am religious about changing the oil every 3k miles (usually less).

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Some good info, thanks for posting it up. One thing to keep in mind is two of the same size filters can hold different amounts of fluid. All depends on what is inside and how they are designed. Personally I don't worry to much about getting an oversized filter since I am religious about changing the oil every 3k miles (usually less).
    I know what ya mean about oil changes, I do all of mine every 2,000 miles, guess I'm a finatic on maintainance.

Thats a good point, never gave it any thought as to materials inside the filter affecting it's capacity. Thanks for pointing that out.

Glad this bit of info could help some people out.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I run two large filters on a Perma Cool remote filter setup. Cheap and easy.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well, us mere mortals don't have 10,000 HP engines, either.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I went to Pep Boys yesterday to get a K@N oil filter but they didnt have the one I needed so I went by Napa and they had them there as well. I went with the larger capacity HP 2006 rather than the HP 1007. Just wanted to let everyone know so they could save a little $ by not having to order a K@N online. Last time I ordered it was $10.00 s@h charges-ouch!!!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Hey Sarge, What do you think of the filtermags?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

5.5 quarts in my LS1 puts the oil half way up the dip stick. This seems to be becoming the norm for GM. Cadillac Northstar V8's are the same (7.5 goes half way up the stick). If you put 8 quarts in it to bring it up to "FULL" it just start a downward spiral of burning oil. It'll burn that .5 quart of oil and carbon will build up and then the rings start sticking and it'll start burning more and more oil. BTW I work on Caddies.
    So moral of the story appears to be "HALF" is the new "FULL"

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Hey Sarge, What do you think of the filtermags?
    Worth every penny, i have 4 installed..

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    5.5 quarts in my LS1 puts the oil half way up the dip stick. This seems to be becoming the norm for GM. Cadillac Northstar V8's are the same (7.5 goes half way up the stick). If you put 8 quarts in it to bring it up to "FULL" it just start a downward spiral of burning oil. It'll burn that .5 quart of oil and carbon will build up and then the rings start sticking and it'll start burning more and more oil. BTW I work on Caddies.
    So moral of the story appears to be "HALF" is the new "FULL"
    I keep hearing 40 is the new 20

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    That'd be me!

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    That would be nice..