Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

5 quarts or 5.5 quarts??

This is a discussion on 5 quarts or 5.5 quarts?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones It's what I have ran and never had a problem. Shucks the long tube headers and ...

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's what I have ran and never had a problem.

Shucks the long tube headers and Y-pipe hang slightly lower anyway, I figure they would be the first to touch anything, but haven't hit those either

You aughta see the 2 quart filter on my truck or chevelle,,,,now thats a filter....lol
    Anyway i don't see the need for such a big filter, besides no filter made will filter anything .02 micron or smaller, thats why you and everyone should invest in a filtermag.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    Anyway i don't see the need for such a big filter, besides no filter made will filter anything .02 micron or smaller, thats why you and everyone should invest in a filtermag.
    You don't see the need for a bigger filter???

In my opinion the more filter area the better, especially with the mileage some people want to stretch between oil changes. Not to mention the extra oil capacity. The way I look at it there is really no downside to it,,,,or no real reason "not" to run a larger filter.

Of course there can be arguments made whether it helps anything at all,, and you can be on either side of the fence on that,,,,,but it surely doesn't hurt anything to run a larger filter. I personally like the idea,,,,and if nothing else it provides peice of mind.

I honestly don't care for these dinky stock filter that GM designed for the LS motors,,,,I can't see that tiny thing trapping debri for 5,000 miles,,,or however long people are going between oil changes. Just my thoughts on it. Doesn't mean anything,,,,just do what you feel comfortable with. I on the other hand will continue to install the big filters.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

In my opinion the more filter area the better, especially with the mileage some people want to stretch between oil changes. Not to mention the extra oil capacity. The way I look at it there is really no downside to it,,,,or no real reason "not" to run a larger filter.

Of course there can be arguments made whether it helps anything at all,, and you can be on either side of the fence on that,,,,,but it surely doesn't hurt anything to run a larger filter. I personally like the idea,,,,and if nothing else it provides peice of mind.

I honestly don't care for these dinky stock filter that GM designed for the LS motors,,,,I can't see that tiny thing trapping debri for 5,000 miles,,,or however long people are going between oil changes. Just my thoughts on it. Doesn't mean anything,,,,just do what you feel comfortable with. I on the other hand will continue to install the big filters.
    I like the idea of a larger filter as well. Makes sense to me.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

I don't see the harm in it, it really depends where you live and what it is for. On a truck or something fairly high off the ground it would be fine. But down here where the roads are crap i wouldn't, i can't get my head under the C5 & having something that protrudes further out just wouldn't work when it could get caught on something and drain all my oil out.
    The little bit of extra oil to help cool wouldn't be a bad ideal but there is still the fact that no filter will catch .02 micron or below, thats why a filtermag(www.filtermag.com) is a great ideal to help make your oil last longer. I wouldn't own a car without one. A buddy of mine cut one of my filters in half with one on and you would be amazed at how much stuff it retain as a result of the filter mag. I also like the GM mag plug..

I don't see the harm in it, it really depends where you live and what it is for. On a truck or something fairly high off the ground it would be fine. But down here where the roads are crap i wouldn't, i can't get my head under the C5 & having something that protrudes further out just wouldn't work when it could get caught on something and drain all my oil out.
    The little bit of extra oil to help cool wouldn't be a bad ideal but there is still the fact that no filter will catch .02 micron or below, thats why a filtermag(www.filtermag.com) is a great ideal to help make your oil last longer. I wouldn't own a car without one. A buddy of mine cut one of my filters in half with one on and you would be amazed at how much stuff it retain as a result of the filter mag. I also like the GM mag plug..
    I really like the idea of the filter mag, combined with the larger filter it would be great. I would have been running these long ago. Problem for me is I would have to buy about $800 worth of them

I think I'll just continue running the big filters, and since I change my oil in all the cars every 2,000 miles anyway,,,,I'm in pretty good shape I think

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I really like the idea of the filter mag, combined with the larger filter it would be great. I would have been running these long ago. Problem for me is I would have to buy about $800 worth of them

I think I'll just continue running the big filters, and since I change my oil in all the cars every 2,000 miles anyway,,,,I'm in pretty good shape I think
    And what larger filter do you use on your Camaro?

On the LS1 I run the AC PF61 or 62, have to check the number to be sure, but this filter hangs only about 3/4 inch below the oil pan and shouldn't cause any ground clearance issues. The K&N HP2006 and the Mobil M1-206 I believe is even longer yet if you want more capacity.

On the LT1 I use the 1 quart filter such as the Fram PH5 (previously a 13) this is the full size filter used on Gen 1 chevy engines, also fits all LT1's (unless you run an oil cooler) This size filter is very common and made in many brands, and is an improvement over the small 1/2 quart filter the book calls for (the PH30).

On the other old school chevrolets I run the 2 quart filters,,,which is made by either Fram or Hastings. Fram # is PH373 and the Hastings number is LF226. This filter will also work on the LT1 as well,,,,I have had it screwed on my wifes car but the length of the 2 quart did make me feel uncomfortable on this car since she is the primary driver,,,it's a whopping 9 inches long

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Considering the clearance under these cars, a longer filter that sticks out beyond the pan to catch on something doesn't sound like a good ideal.
    No clearance issues at all its only an 2 or so inches longer.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Wow, so you have 32 cars?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    And what larger filter do you use on your Camaro?
    K&N HP2006 or Mobil 1 M1-206 or equivilent (they are for LSX based truck engines). It holds an extra .5 qt.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

It's what I have ran and never had a problem.

Shucks the long tube headers and Y-pipe hang slightly lower anyway, I figure they would be the first to touch anything, but haven't hit those either

You aughta see the 2 quart filter on my truck or chevelle,,,,now thats a filter....lol
    They don't on my C5... The headers are fine...

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    No clearance issues at all its only an 2 or so inches longer.
    The Z28 has shorty BBK's & a Random Tech y-pipe and the BTS kit which lower is 1.25 & they're clearance problems down here with that setup. You obviously didn't read the previous post, like i said before, it depends where you live. If i lived in CA i would run them.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

On the LS1 I run the AC PF61 or 62, have to check the number to be sure, but this filter hangs only about 3/4 inch below the oil pan and shouldn't cause any ground clearance issues. The K&N HP2006 and the Mobil M1-206 I believe is even longer yet if you want more capacity.

On the LT1 I use the 1 quart filter such as the Fram PH5 (previously a 13) this is the full size filter used on Gen 1 chevy engines, also fits all LT1's (unless you run an oil cooler) This size filter is very common and made in many brands, and is an improvement over the small 1/2 quart filter the book calls for (the PH30).

On the other old school chevrolets I run the 2 quart filters,,,which is made by either Fram or Hastings. Fram # is PH373 and the Hastings number is LF226. This filter will also work on the LT1 as well,,,,I have had it screwed on my wifes car but the length of the 2 quart did make me feel uncomfortable on this car since she is the primary driver,,,it's a whopping 9 inches long
    This is kind of off topic but I was wondering what you use on your BBC in your Chevelle?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

This is kind of off topic but I was wondering what you use on your BBC in your Chevelle?
    I use the 2 quart on ALL the big blocks we do! The stock oil pan sump is lower than even that BIG ass filter. I have only had 1 car that had an issue and it was a 66 C10 with huge 2 1/4" primary Super Comps.
    The regular SBC pan sump is also deeper than the 2 quart filter. It surprises everyone. But I tell them how often you scrap your pan........? Never
    Exactly so why not run a 2 quart filter.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I use the 2 quart on ALL the big blocks we do! The stock oil pan sump is lower than even that BIG ass filter. I have only had 1 car that had an issue and it was a 66 C10 with huge 2 1/4" primary Super Comps.
    The regular SBC pan sump is also deeper than the 2 quart filter. It surprises everyone. But I tell them how often you scrap your pan........? Never
    Exactly so why not run a 2 quart filter.
    Come drive around here in the city, i've scraped my pan several times and even once caught an armadillo under it..

I run the 2 quart filter on my chevelle. It has a deeper 7 quart pan so the pan is actually lower than the filter anyway. It clears the 2 inch Hooker super comp headers just fine as well.

Sometimes on the older stuff the headers can be an issue, depends on the brand.

I believe I have Hedman headers on my big block truck, again with a 2 quart filter,,,no problems at all.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

K&N HP2006 or Mobil 1 M1-206 or equivilent (they are for LSX based truck engines). It holds an extra .5 qt.
    Thanks-I will be running the larger K@N.

I would like to compare these to the size of the ACdelco PF62 that I use which is larger than the factory filter.

But it seems those K&N and Mobil filters just aren't sitting around on the shelves around the local stores here.

Any idea as to a local store chain that might carry these brands in stock?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I would like to compare these to the size of the ACdelco PF62 that I use which is larger than the factory filter.

But it seems those K&N and Mobil filters just aren't sitting around on the shelves around the local stores here.

Any idea as to a local store chain that might carry these brands in stock?
    Pep boys

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Pep boys
    Cool thanks. I'll give that a shot. I think they carry ACdelco too so I can do a side by side comparison. I'm curious if they are even larger yet.
    I need to make a run to GM dealer for a battery cable and it's practically next door, works out good for me. Cheers.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information