Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    2002 CETA 6M COUPE

5 quarts or 5.5 quarts??

just did my first oil change. went with mobil1 5w30 cuz the change oil light came on sooner than expected.

now i thought 5 quarts is enough? but i heard from someone else that it should be 5.5?

i checked the level again and it was fine... should i put in another .5 quart?

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

i put 5.5 quarts

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

5.5 is ok

Owners manual says 5.5 w/filter change, some people put in 6.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

GM says it takes 5.5 quarts, but mine takes 6.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Guy I know puts in 6 all the time.. but he races it a lot at the track..
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

i just put 6

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wretched View Post
    just did my first oil change. went with mobil1 5w30 cuz the change oil light came on sooner than expected.

now i thought 5 quarts is enough? but i heard from someone else that it should be 5.5?

i checked the level again and it was fine... should i put in another .5 quart?
    if its full then dont put anymore in

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    if its full then dont put anymore in
    you GA guys sure know how to make it simple hahaha, what's up man?

Black
    00 WS6

I put in 5.5

Depends on the filter you use.
    On the LS1,,,,,
    I run the AC PF61 on the LS1,,,,and it's deeper than the stock filter the book calls for. Generally you can get another 1/4 quart to 1/2 quart or so. This number used to be PF62 but has been replaced with the new number I listed above. This filter will hang slightly below the oil pan about 1/2 inch. I'm experimenting with other brands,,,I may have found another that is even deeper yet for more oil capacity. But the filter the store will sell, or listed in the book is a very tiny stubby looking thing, compare it to the PF61 to see the difference.

On the LT1,,,,
    Thank god these still take the good old large diameter filter the gen 1 small blocks take,,,,on these you can go with 3 different sizes.
    I use Fram on this car. You can use the Fram PH30 which is what the store tries to sell you,,,,it's only a 1/2 quart filter.
    Or,,,,you can jump up to the Fram PH5 which is a 1 quart filter. This filter used to be called a PH13 but the number has changed to a PH5.

If you want alot of capacity, there is the PH373 which is a 2 quart filter. I have to warn you though,,,it's rather long and sometimes it doesn't clear all header applications. With this filter you can run as much as 7-7.5 quarts with a smallish 5 quart oil pan,,,,lol.

I use this filter on my chevelle, with a 7 quart pan and 2 quart filter,,,it takes nearly a case to change it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-21-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

a case??? dayum...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

2 quart filter - WOW - 28 years in the automotive field - 17 years with GM and have not heard of a 2 quart GM passenger car oil filter.Learned something new every day

Yep a 2 quart. Generally Autozone will have this in stock, maybe a few others that carry Fram,,,not sure on that though. I always find them at my local Autozone. Fram PH373,,,check it out,,,it's quite a sight, nearly,,if not more than a foot long. This fits GEN 1 and GEN 2 chevrolet small blocks,,,,big block chevys etc...I don't know of a 2 quart filter for any other application. It costs a bit more obviously, around $12 but you get a ton of filter area,,,you would have to try hard to clog that one,,,,lol.

Ya the chevelle takes nearly a case, gets rather expensive. You should hear my father complain,,,,we just recently built a nice 455 pontiac for his GTO and stuck a 10 quart pan on that thing. Although the old pontiacs take a small 1/2 quart filter (Fram PH25, don't know of a bigger one for that application) he still sticks nearly a case of oil in his car. Our oil changes for these cars get dangerously close to $100

Now that I think of it,,,I have a spare one in the shop. I use them on my truck too and I haven't gotten around to giving it it's spring time wakeup maintainance. I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Depends on the filter you use.
    On the LS1,,,,,
    I run the AC PF61 on the LS1,,,,and it's deeper than the stock filter the book calls for. Generally you can get another 1/4 quart to 1/2 quart or so. This number used to be PF62 but has been replaced with the new number I listed above. This filter will hang slightly below the oil pan about 1/2 inch. I'm experimenting with other brands,,,I may have found another that is even deeper yet for more oil capacity. But the filter the store will sell, or listed in the book is a very tiny stubby looking thing, compare it to the PF61 to see the difference.
    Great info! I'm going to look into that next time I change the oil. It's pathetic how small the stock filter is, the first time I bought stuff for an oil change I had to double check to make sure I grabbed the right one. It looks like something off a tiny little four banger. I think the filter on my dad's Briggs and Stratton v-twin lawn tractor is bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Great info! I'm going to look into that next time I change the oil. It's pathetic how small the stock filter is, the first time I bought stuff for an oil change I had to double check to make sure I grabbed the right one. It looks like something off a tiny little four banger. I think the filter on my dad's Briggs and Stratton v-twin lawn tractor is bigger!
    LOL, you're right,,,,I also have Kohler V-twin tractor and the oil filter is twice the size,,,and I even run an oversize filter for that too, I beleive it's a Fram PH3975 or 85, I'd have to check it.

The stock filter the book calls for on the LS1 is pathetic in my opinion. I found the AC PF61 to be longer,,,and I believe I have found a Fram that is bigger yet. Oh ya,,,I have to snap a picture of that PH373, I knew I forgot something today,,,lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i always put 6 in, i also use an oversized filter

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I use 5, including the filter. (longer Delco)

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

5.5 for me. I thought the filter was too small too, but then again, this is not some 1960s "high performance" engine with massive dirt getting in, gas going downt the cylinder walls from running too rich or flooding during cold starts, etc. There are so many of these engines alive today (LS1) over 100k and still screaming down the 1/4 and getting over 25 MPG. If your dipstick says full, or over halfway between full and add, leave it alone.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information