Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 156

5 quarts or 5.5 quarts??

This is a discussion on 5 quarts or 5.5 quarts?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Kup98ss I had a 98ss I always put 5qts of 10w-40 in it and it always ran ...

  1. #41
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I had a 98ss I always put 5qts of 10w-40 in it and it always ran great.
    I have a 2002 Ws6 now and I put 5qts of 10w-30 in it now.
    I never had any problems in either car. Hell, I always thought it was 5qts. I will try putting an extra 1/2 qt in my car this weekend and see how it does.
    Uh, the engine calls for 5w30 for most conditions. 10w30 maybe during hot summer months, but never 10w40 for stock, modern engines. It probably did run great, but that was shortening the engine life somewhat.

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    cos
    Posts
    17
    2002 camaro

    so lastnight i took my 5qt of oil ls1 to a parkinglot and attempted to see if the pump would starve but it wouldn't i even tried hard accelerating in reverse. oil pressure stayed around 60-80psi depending on rpms.

  3. #43
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by flawless35th View Post
    so lastnight i took my 5qt of oil ls1 to a parkinglot and attempted to see if the pump would starve but it wouldn't i even tried hard accelerating in reverse. oil pressure stayed around 60-80psi depending on rpms.
    ............................................
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virgina
    Posts
    224

    Black
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    ............................................
    ................u crazy man!!!

  5. #45
    G.M. SERVICE MANAGER LS16SPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    168

    navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

    I Use 6 Quarts Of Royal Purple With A New Filter

  6. #46
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Uh, the engine calls for 5w30 for most conditions. 10w30 maybe during hot summer months, but never 10w40 for stock, modern engines. It probably did run great, but that was shortening the engine life somewhat.
    Alot of people use 40weights around here. What do you use?

  7. #47
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Alot of people use 40weights around here. What do you use?
    I use 0-30 AMSOIL



    Or 0-20 AMSOIL








































  8. #48
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Nothin wrong with the 0W30.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Alot of people use 40weights around here. What do you use?
    5W30 Valvoline synthetic, year 'round.

    The only time I have seen my pressure drop is when I am hittin' the on-ramps hard. Long curve at max traction will sometimes have my pressure drop (think 25 MPH posted, taking it at 45 -50 MPH or better, depending on traffic, etc. Scares the shit outta passengers!).

  10. #50
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    dont use Fram oil filters, they are HORRIBLE,...if you still decide to use Fram then just save yourself the money, put a sock in a plastic bag and tape it to your oil output...............

  11. #51
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    dont use Fram oil filters, they are HORRIBLE,...if you still decide to use Fram then just save yourself the money, put a sock in a plastic bag and tape it to your oil output...............


    .......................

    So true. And you know how many clueless people there are out there that still swear Fram is the best and run them on there race motors. Damn shame.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Tyler_LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canby, Oregon
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,121

    Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

    Ive always put 6 quarts in with a filter change

    Im trying out the Amsoil 5W-30 Full synthetic
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

    12.6 at 112

    http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

  13. #53
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Uh, the engine calls for 5w30 for most conditions. 10w30 maybe during hot summer months, but never 10w40 for stock, modern engines. It probably did run great, but that was shortening the engine life somewhat.
    I disagree. I run 10-40 with no issues. I ran 20/50 in my last vehicle and it lasted 300,000. It smoked when I sold it but still ran. Tell me how it would shorten the life of a engine?

  14. #54
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I disagree. I run 10-40 with no issues. I ran 20/50 in my last vehicle and it lasted 300,000. It smoked when I sold it but still ran. Tell me how it would shorten the life of a engine?
    Well, my opinion is it the heavier weight oil will not circulate as quickly especially when cold or cold start. That is where most engine wear occurs. I do think manufacturers go with thinner oil (5w30, 5w20) mostly for gas MPG issues. With the heavier oil, you will see higher pressures bc it resists flowing as well, robbing the engine of (a few) HP and a couple tenths MPG, since the oil pump is working harder.

    What was that last vehicle you ran the 10w40 in? An LS1 vehicle?

  15. #55
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Well, my opinion is it the heavier weight oil will not circulate as quickly especially when cold or cold start. That is where most engine wear occurs. I do think manufacturers go with thinner oil (5w30, 5w20) mostly for gas MPG issues. With the heavier oil, you will see higher pressures bc it resists flowing as well, robbing the engine of (a few) HP and a couple tenths MPG, since the oil pump is working harder.

    What was that last vehicle you ran the 10w40 in? An LS1 vehicle?
    10-40 is fine-it circulates fine-it circulates fine on a cold start.If you took two pieces of steel like two pushrods and dipped them in oil(one in 10/40 one in 5/30) and then held them up in the air-which pushrod would have a better coating of oil after 24 hours? I would like to think the one dipped into 10/40 would-not the one dipped in 5/30-therefore if you really think about the concept of a "cold start" it would begin before any oil ever started to circulate. Did you ever turn a engine over with a valve cover off? Oil is shooting through the holes before its even started.Like I said I ran 20/50 in my last vehicle and got 300,000 miles out of it before it started to smoke a bit and I totured that vehicle every day.
    I now run 10/40 in my 98 Camaro LS1 with no issues. I know what GM reccomends for these cars but IMO its way too thin-especially here in Fl. If it were a new car-I would run the suggested oil for the break in period no doubt-but thats about it. My car has 70,000 miles.

  16. #56
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Also, the 40 in any XW40 is the thickness at operating temperature, not cold start.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Also, the 40 in any XW40 is the thickness at operating temperature, not cold start.
    I knew that. Anyway, glad to here you are not having any oil issues. I prefer to run the weight that the manufacturer recomends, thats really about it. I guess if I was running sustained high RPM, I would consider a 10w40, but I don't so I won't. 10w30 won't make any difference in the FL heat, since we all know the 30 is for normal operating temps. Our owners manual says 5w is preferred for all temps, with 10w being ok for over 0 degree operation. Does not recommend any other weight, so that is what I use. Always gotta do what I'm told, LOL!!!!!!

  18. #58
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Difference between a 30 weight and a 50 weight is minuscule. What we are talking about here is film thickness. Too heavy and your not lubricating "well" in tight clearance spaces.
    Wont really kill your motor per se but definetly robs horsepower and does shorten life expectancy of bearings/rings...

  19. #59
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I knew that. Anyway, glad to here you are not having any oil issues. I prefer to run the weight that the manufacturer recomends, thats really about it. I guess if I was running sustained high RPM, I would consider a 10w40, but I don't so I won't. 10w30 won't make any difference in the FL heat, since we all know the 30 is for normal operating temps. Our owners manual says 5w is preferred for all temps, with 10w being ok for over 0 degree operation. Does not recommend any other weight, so that is what I use. Always gotta do what I'm told, LOL!!!!!!

    Do you still run a .060 plug gap?

  20. #60
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Do you still run a .060 plug gap?
    Why you ask. You gonna diss me bc I still have my OE plugs at 66k?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How many quarts of trans fluid for ws6?
    By Murder after Midnight in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 06:41 AM
  2. How many quarts of tranny fluid?
    By patriot1136 in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
  3. How many oil quarts does an ls1 take?
    By wicked illusions in forum General Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 07:48 PM
  4. How Many Quarts?
    By SStriker in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM
  5. Real quick! How many quarts for diff change?
    By ErikElvis in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •