Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

5 quarts or 5.5 quarts??

This is a discussion on 5 quarts or 5.5 quarts?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i put in the 6...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

i put in the 6

Black
    2005 GTO

Mine always takes 6 to hit the full line.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Guys...these "measuring sticks AKA "dipsticks" are about as accurate as a grenade throw. Pretty close......I found out years ago GM engineers ( all of em for that matter) use the oil pan,filter capacity to within an inch of the crank. That is what they publish. It does not take into consideration the level when the engine is running and all the oil is up where it should be. My point is this....when your engine is running and you have used the factory specs of oil capacity you may have 2 inches of oil in the bottom of your pan. Barely enough to cover the pump up. Go take a hard corner at high speed or at a hard launch and your pump is sucking air as the oil is now to the side of the pan or at the rear of the pan. Bad thing.
    Factory specs are too little oil IMHO. Too much oil and your crank will be slapping the oil and foaming it up...foam doesn't lube worth a shit....and of course your crank hitting oil will cost you horsepower. So for years and years I have always added a quart over what the "book" calls for on all my rides. Never had any lube related issue.
    I want my oil pump pumping oil.....under all conditions....so that extra quart keeps my crank out of the oil bath as most of the oil is at the top of the engine when it is running.....but keeps plenty of oil in the pan when I'm out terrorizing old Lady's in town.
    An additional benefit of the extra quart is added capacity. More oil= more add packs/cooler oil temps/longer OCI's/more is good.
    So I recommend more oil than what the book calls for. Simple test is this. Add say 1/2 quart more....fire your baby up....if you dont see air bubbles or foam on the dipstick then your crank is not slapping the oil....your good to go....add the remaining oil ( full quart over) and do the same test. If you dont see any foam/bubbles on your dipstick...your Ricky Race Car Ready.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I usually go with 6 quarts

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

good info here! I've wondered why 5.5 when doing oil, but been relunctant to add that extra half quart. Scarier to think about the reason i started doing my own oil changes--when i first got the car I witnessed the place i had always gone towith previous cars putting in only 5--didn't want to open that next bottle for half a quart i guess...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

We usually do a wet test with the oil pan that is being used on the motor before finale assembly. 90% of the time I have found you can put 1 extra quart in with NO airiation issues.
    Sarge's suggestion work too on motors that are already together.
    The 2 quart filter is a nice way to add extra oil which aids in cooling and oil life on fuel breakdown. I have only ran into 2 cars that had clearance issues with the 2 quart filter.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

6 Quarts Of Royal Purple Here!!
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

2002 camaro

5 is ok you don't get as much crankshaft splash

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've always been told it's better to have it a lil underfilled then overfilled. As long as you dont lose pressure.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I've always been told it's better to have it a lil underfilled then overfilled. As long as you dont lose pressure.
    Yeah that is a big NO NO! I guess you could do it as long as you kept the rpm under 3500.That way you don't suck the pan dry. And let me guess you are supposed to go off that real accurate stock guage.........?

2002 camaro

i don't think you can fit 5qt's of oil in the pump/galley's/passages of an ls1 ls2 or ls3 ... so your pan can't run dry

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yeah that is a big NO NO! I guess you could do it as long as you kept the rpm under 3500.That way you don't suck the pan dry. And let me guess you are supposed to go off that real accurate stock guage.........?
    Whats a big nono? 5 quarts still well within operating range anyway.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by flawless35th View Post
    i don't think you can fit 5qt's of oil in the pump/galley's/passages of an ls1 ls2 or ls3 ... so your pan can't run dry
    Do you think it drains back instantly? Have you ever pulled a valve cover off while running?You don't think the lifter valley doesn't pool? There is plenty of room for your 5 quarts to be other than the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Whats a big nono? 5 quarts still well within operating range anyway.
    Running it under full purposely. Have you looked at a stock pan off the motor and seen all the baffling? You really think they haven't designed it to not suck oil onto the counter weights at there said level......
    I'll I can say is I would at least run the specified amount and a 1/2 extra. You must remember they did not build it or give directions for ANY type of racing/abuse on a regular basis.

2002 camaro

if there is 5 quarts of oil all over the engine exept the oil pan that just means the oil is where it needs to be.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Do you think it drains back instantly? Have you ever pulled a valve cover off while running?You don't think the lifter valley doesn't pool? There is plenty of room for your 5 quarts to be other than the pan.

Running it under full purposely. Have you looked at a stock pan off the motor and seen all the baffling? You really think they haven't designed it to not suck oil onto the counter weights at there said level......
    I'll I can say is I would at least run the specified amount and a 1/2 extra. You must remember they did not build it or give directions for ANY type of racing/abuse on a regular basis.
    I could see if you only had 3 quarts in it. It would still run fine but prolly be starved under high demands. I may go back to 5.5 but last time I put 6 quarts in it it got some in the intake, that's with my catch can on. Flawless35th, good points. Appreciate your input LS2uner.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No problem.

I not here to argue about anything I'll give you my 2 cents. But when people are on here stating falseness then I try to at least guide others toward the light............

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

I had a 98ss I always put 5qts of 10w-40 in it and it always ran great.
    I have a 2002 Ws6 now and I put 5qts of 10w-30 in it now.
    I never had any problems in either car. Hell, I always thought it was 5qts. I will try putting an extra 1/2 qt in my car this weekend and see how it does.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I would like to see more info on this subject. I have never ever heard this brought up. Any published info that anyone knows of?

Red
    2001 ws6

i put 5.5 qts

Black
    98 Trans Am

My '98 owners manual calls for 5.5. Whenever it was changed at the stealership, they put 6qts. Post warranty myself...6qts...never any problems....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information