Arrow 5.7 Heaven...Now Hell...HELP!!!!

First...Thanks for any help you may provide.

I have a 5.7L and a 4l60E tranny. The wiring harness is from Street and Performance. The car has been tuned and was running great.

Noticed the bell housing bolts were loose and rubbing the torque converter. Dropped the tranny, fixed the torque converter bolt issue, re-installed the tranny,

The car cranks, but will not start. Check the one the ground wire on this harness and it's good. Check the voltage on the coils and they are reading 11.8Volts. Not a pro, still a rookie... any suggestions?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Check your relays under the hood, specifically the fuel pump relay.

When I turn the key to on... I can hear the fuel pump engage and begin to pump. Does this eliminate the need to check the fuel pump relay?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by makaveligh View Post
    When I turn the key to on... I can hear the fuel pump engage and begin to pump. Does this eliminate the need to check the fuel pump relay?
    No, you're fine on that front. Check your fuel filter.

If you checked for spark and that's good, it's got to be fuel.

While at the fuel rails, I check to see if they had fuel by pressing the cap, and fuel squirted out so I assumed it had fuel. It simply does not make any sense. I'm almost clueless but It has to be something simple. I'm check the various sensors. I have a HP tuner handy... if I plug it up is there something I should check for?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Did you pull out any of the sensors ie... crank or cam.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

No I did not pull out any sensors.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Start with the basics. Fuel, spark, fuel/spark at the right time. Fuel in the rail doesnt mean there's enough pressure. Check fuel pressure (58 psi) & then check for spark. I doubt it's the pump but i've seen crazier things happen. The crank sensor wire is in the area you would've been working.....sure you didnt damage that wire?

I checked the fuel pressure and its 58 psi. I will check the spark plugs next. just picked up a spark plug / coil tester. Could the crank sensor, could have gone south?

Like Orion mentioned, that crank sensor wiring could be a culprit, and I tend to lean that way since all you did was remove the transmission.

It's on the passenger side near the starter, which is probably the side that Street and Performance designed the transmission part of the harness to run (that's how Howell does it which is the harnesses I've used) While you were under there pulling the transmission harness off it's possible you may have tugged on the crank sensor wiring, or maybe one of the wires got smashed??
    Just my thought, since it's rather odd the engine won't start all the sudden after pulling the transmission.

checked the crank position sensor wires and they are good, pins are good. Replaced the crank sensor for GP. Issue continues.

Update... Just did a spark test and NO Spark.... Does it matter which spark plug? I verified the spark plug tester works on a lawn mower and then I tried it on LS. It worked on lawn mower flawlessly. However on the LS... No spark. Any suggestions?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the fact this all stemmed from dropping the tranny is what's puzzling me.....has to just be coincidental or something. Check your ignition relay in the fuse box under the hood. Tap on that relay with the handle of a screwdriver or swap it with your fan relay and see if it starts. After that you're kinda back to a harness/sensor issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the fact this all stemmed from dropping the tranny is what's puzzling me.....has to just be coincidental or something. Check your ignition relay in the fuse box under the hood. Tap on that relay with the handle of a screwdriver or swap it with your fan relay and see if it starts. After that you're kinda back to a harness/sensor issue.
    the car is a 67 fiebird...the harness is standalone....i checked the ign fuse and it is good.. the harness ign wire is plugged directly in the ignition switch.

Do i still need tolocate and test the ign switch relay?
    Last edited by makaveligh; 07-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

A bad crank sensor wouldn't stop the car from starting. The cam sensor is responsible for starting the vehicle. Check that wiring behind the intake manifold...you might have pinched it between the transmission and the engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveligh View Post
    the car is a 67 fiebird...the harness is standalone....i checked the ign fuse and it is good.. the harness ign wire is plugged directly in the ignition switch.

Do i still need tolocate and test the ign switch relay?
    I would hope that Street and Performance sells those wire harness kits with the relays and a small fuse box (The harnesses I use from Howell come that way) With 3 relays, fans--fuel pump--ignition. and fuses for each of those as well that are seperate from the regular fuse box. You said the fuel pump runs and primes and fans won't stop it from running. That only leaves one relay to check. With only 2 wires to hook up for these retro swaps (ignition switch power and battery power) as you already know, it's a pretty simple setup.

I still feel something was disturbed during transmission R&R. But stranger things have happened.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Were any sections of harness unplugged during transmission removal, other than the connection at the transmission?

Was the battery disconnected during the removal? If not, could be that something accidentally shorted and caused your problem. Wouldn't hurt to check all the fuses and swap relays around as already suggested.

Any ground wires disconnected during the removal? The stock harness has grounds on the back of the driver side head -- could be these were relocated to the bell housing bolts and just overlooked.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What Jeff said. Starter ground could have been yanked while removing the trans.

Thread Information