5.3L for 1100$ w/ ecm and harness worth it?

This is a discussion on 5.3L for 1100$ w/ ecm and harness worth it? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; im looking to do an lsx swap and came across a 5.3l w/ harness and ecu for 1100$ close to ...

teal/black
    1991 camaro z28

5.3L for 1100$ w/ ecm and harness worth it?

im looking to do an lsx swap and came across a 5.3l w/ harness and ecu for 1100$ close to me and i was wondering if it was worth buying.. its out of a 2000 silverado, doesnt come with trans. i really just wanna buy a parts car that has been wrecked, but i did some homework on the 5.3l and found that with some changes u can bore it out to a 5.7 and also put almost any ls1 mod on it, i really want to find a 5.7 or 6.0 or if im lucky a 6.2 but ill take what i can get. im looking to put the motor in my 91 vert. do u guys think that its worth the money to buy the motor? im planing on gettting all the parts that i need for the swap b4 i even attempt to open my hood because my camaro is very reliable and i know that if i walk outside and my ford truck wont start i know that i can get in my camaro and it will no matter what.. so i want to get everthing ready b4 i take her 305 heart out and give her a set of "balls" cause its just not fast enough for me.. so tell me what u guys think

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If it was $400 cheaper

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by quickkris2006 View Post
    im looking to do an lsx swap and came across a 5.3l w/ harness and ecu for 1100$ close to me and i was wondering if it was worth buying.. its out of a 2000 silverado, doesnt come with trans. i really just wanna buy a parts car that has been wrecked, but i did some homework on the 5.3l and found that with some changes u can bore it out to a 5.7 and also put almost any ls1 mod on it, i really want to find a 5.7 or 6.0 or if im lucky a 6.2 but ill take what i can get. im looking to put the motor in my 91 vert. do u guys think that its worth the money to buy the motor? im planing on gettting all the parts that i need for the swap b4 i even attempt to open my hood because my camaro is very reliable and i know that if i walk outside and my ford truck wont start i know that i can get in my camaro and it will no matter what.. so i want to get everthing ready b4 i take her 305 heart out and give her a set of "balls" cause its just not fast enough for me.. so tell me what u guys think
    a ported set of 5.3l heads are some of the best for a head swap, check some of the prices on them for yourself..

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

if you have money to bore it out put some forced injection ( spray the hell out of it then yes it'till work it but in stock for the 5.3 is a SLUG if u dont drop some dough into it but it wakes up when done with the right combo) on it and then buy a tranny that maches up to it then thats a go . but if youre looking for a reliable no adder that is a drop in and go then imho i would look for ls1, ls2 or ls3 or lq4 or lq6 they can be found all day from california junk yards that are low mild and most of the time u can fly out there for a cheap ticket hear the engine running and if you dont like it u just saved yourself alought of dough and hastle or find 1 local . it all depends on how radical you want your set up to be Best of luck
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-22-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: it'ill

teal/black
    1991 camaro z28

ok thanks guys im just ganna wait till i find a 5.7l or bigger.. hopefully i can find a wrecked car from some stupid rich kid that his parents bought and he/she wrecked for cheap so ill have everything i need

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ok thanks guys im just ganna wait till i find a 5.7l or bigger.. hopefully i can find a wrecked car from some stupid rich kid that his parents bought and he/she wrecked for cheap so ill have everything i need
    lots of ls1's on ebay for around that price but you never knwo what you're getting... best bet is just to save and buy a new one or a short block...

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    lots of ls1's on ebay for around that price but you never knwo what you're getting... best bet is just to save and buy a new one or a short block...
    yes spaz thinks similar 2 the way i do .you never know what you get on ebay till its 2late thats why if i spend over 1k on ebay i will just buy a cheap ass tick and inspect the items myself and buy them streight cash so i know they wernt trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

White
    '02 Camaro SS

.. so i want to get everthing ready b4 i take her 305 heart out and give her a set of "balls" cause its just not fast enough for me.. so tell me what u guys think
    You do know the LSX is a different block and will require major mods to make fit in your car?
    A vortec 350 from a '96 to 2000 Chevy or GMC pick up will give you what you want with drop in ease. No muss no fuss.

teal/black
    1991 camaro z28

well im planing on a tubular k member from bmr or sphoon so it should be that hard of an install with the new motor and if it is i got a big fu*kin hammer lol either way if i pull the motor an ls motor is going in shortly after the engine bay gets sand blasted, smoothed and painted. if im ganna do something im ganna do it right the first time.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

well im planing on a tubular k member from bmr or sphoon so it should be that hard of an install with the new motor and if it is i got a big fu*kin hammer lol either way if i pull the motor an ls motor is going in shortly after the engine bay gets sand blasted, smoothed and painted. if im ganna do something im ganna do it right the first time.
    Awesome dude ! thats the way to do things major mods is what make work records happen

teal/black
    1991 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    Awesome dude ! thats the way to do things major mods is what make work records happen
    did i also mention that im turning my convertible into a 2 seater.. so its ganna be a 3rd gen vert with a ls1 6spd 2seater.. possibly targa top, depends how brave i get with the fiberglass build

2011 Prius

Not reaiding the entire thing... But around here, LQ9 $700 with harness and ECM. LS1, $1,500 with harness and ECM.

$1,100 for a 5.3L? No way in hell, $400 froma junk yard. Replaced one of our old Z-71's.

Thread Information