White
    2010 Camaro LS

4.8l vortec 480hp?

just out of pure curiosity and intrigue.. would it be possible to reach 480hp at the crank on a 4.8l vortec motor (100hp per liter) naturally aspirated and without a major change in displacement, and keep the motor tame enough for the streets?? it just struck me odd i was roaming through a junkyard thursday (do this quite often) that the abundance of the vortec 4.8l motors sitting there.. the junkyard owner said everyone just wants the 6.0l motors and on occasion the 5.3l motors.. the junkyard owner said i could take two of the 4.8ls for $200 but not one for $100.. i was just thinking that would be a rowdy small displacement v8

also whats the max bore i could take a 6.0l motor to if i resleeved it?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have the 4.8 ltr motor in my 04 Tahoe, and in my opinion, you would have to beef up the entire bottom of the engine, forged crank, connecting rods, new cam, and harder thicker main bearing caps, newer forged high compression pistons.

You also would have to modify the heads.

The cheap way out is to use NO, however you have a better chance of blowing the stock motor.

I would not do it.

The 4.8 ltr (294 ci) was produced as a gas saving alternative to the 5.3 & 6.0. My Tahoe (5k pounds) gets 18 MPG on the freeway, opposed to the 5.3 which gets 15 MPG.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 09-07-2009 at 05:04 AM.

White
    2010 Camaro LS

from what i've read though is.. the material gm uses on their vortec crankshafts and rods is good to around 600hp stock.. this could be wrong of course and it could only apply to the 6.0l and 5.3l.. but i don't really see them using a different material for the 4.8l.. even if i didn't do it the cheap way i mean jeez.. pretty much $100 for a turning engine thats kind of leaves alot of room for pretty stout build without breaking the bank.. i mean i could possibly (big if) build this motor and so a single turbo setup and hit the 480 mark or more for around the same price as doing a 6.0l to the same power all motor.. but i could just be thinking too much

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Three46Ci View Post
    from what i've read though is.. the material gm uses on their vortec crankshafts and rods is good to around 600hp stock.. this could be wrong of course and it could only apply to the 6.0l and 5.3l.. but i don't really see them using a different material for the 4.8l.. even if i didn't do it the cheap way i mean jeez.. pretty much $100 for a turning engine thats kind of leaves alot of room for pretty stout build without breaking the bank.. i mean i could possibly (big if) build this motor and so a single turbo setup and hit the 480 mark or more for around the same price as doing a 6.0l to the same power all motor.. but i could just be thinking too much
    Look at it a different way, if the engine was really that good to hop up, why would the junk yard, or wherever you are getting the engine sell it so cheap?
    Why are people opting for the 5.3 and 6.0?

SteveC

White
    2010 Camaro LS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Look at it a different way, if the engine was really that good to hop up, why would the junk yard, or wherever you are getting the engine sell it so cheap?
    Why are people opting for the 5.3 and 6.0?

SteveC
    because their is still the.. No replacement for displacement clause lol.. i mean if the price was on a perfect curve with the 5.3l and 6.0l motors i would choose the 5.3 or 6.0l motor.. but with it being well below "the curve" why not.. i really see where ya'll are coming from.. but you have to admit it still has plenty of potential.. its a LS/Vortec afterall

black
    10 cars

just out of pure curiosity and intrigue.. would it be possible to reach 480hp at the crank on a 4.8l vortec motor (100hp per liter) naturally aspirated and without a major change in displacement, and keep the motor tame enough for the streets?? it just struck me odd i was roaming through a junkyard thursday (do this quite often) that the abundance of the vortec 4.8l motors sitting there.. the junkyard owner said everyone just wants the 6.0l motors and on occasion the 5.3l motors.. the junkyard owner said i could take two of the 4.8ls for $200 but not one for $100.. i was just thinking that would be a rowdy small displacement v8

with the short stroke of the 4.8 which is 3.25 this little motor will make big horse numbers.100 horse per liter is easily possible.but remember it will be at higher rpm range and upgrading valve terrain might be needed to sustain higher rpm reliability.just remember torque will be alot lower and torque is what moves cars.but could be alot fun with 4.10s and six speed.

red
    2000TA

the price for head upgrade, and valve train upgrade,better intake ,and injectors,etc...,will add up to be a lot.it would be cheaper to buy a LS6 from crate motor depot $3200 and port the heads ,and add the right cam.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

A guy on here had one built up...but im pretty sure his was procharged.

I know you don't want to go that route....but on a $100 motor, you could do it without going outrageous on price.

He was putting down pretty impressive numbers, and was hanging with f-bodies at the track.

Oh but, a tame 480 out of that motor....i just dont see it

dark grey metalic
    2003 gmc sierra

480 out of a 4.8 isnt hard to achieve its called turbo people theres a build up of one the turbo only puts out 8psi yet the motor nakes 540hp with a stock bottom end

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

wow...old thread...and he said tame enough to cruise around

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

lol i say it can be done. the 4.8 is the same block as the 5.3, just different stroke and heads i think. that would be an awesome build, put 4.8 badges on it and kick the hell outta mustangs all day long.

black
    1995 chevy truck

Cool what are u puting it in?

What car or truck are u going to put that motor in?

white
    1999 trans am

Old thread i know, but ive been contemplating this motor as well. I was interested in dropping it in a 1965 nova coupe. Building the crap out of the valvetrain, and putting a gradual curve cam like maybe a stock LS1 cam and intake....... With a 4l60E and 3.73s.....

FIBERGLASS: FRONT FENDERS, HOOD, DECK LID AND BUMPERS.

Aftermarket: Tubular front IFS with rack & pinion... (tubular should save weight over factory stamped steel)

Nice, modern (maybe import) seats and interior (to reduce weight)

my 99 trans am m6 got 28+ hwy and ran 12.70....... 3800 LBS / 5.7L (on the stock tune!)

4.8L / 2400 LB / nova / tuned-cam-intake / running 12s /30+mpg???????

You guys think it is a acheivable??

rockcrawler

I know this is a " Old Thread" but I just read this artical and was amazed and thought I would share it with everyone. It's from a old issue of Hot Rod mag Sept 2011. The artical was called " The Big Bang Theory" where a team of guys wanted to test just how strong Ls motors really are. Anyway long story short they pulled a 4.8L truck motor out of a junk yard. The only changes they made to the short block was to increase the top ring gap from 0.015 to 0.028. They ported the stock heads and added larger intake valves (2.0in)and upgraded the springs, changed the cam to a off the shelf 228/230 comp cam with a new set of comp hydraulic roller lifters.Then changed the stock intake and upgraded to 75lb/hr injectors and a 102 mm throttle body. naturally aspirated it put down 451hp and 380 lb ft of tq all the way out to 7000rpm.
    I know thats not all that amazing but what they did next was, They added a pair of 76mm turbos a intercooler, and blow off valve. After a bunch of runs they increased the boost all the way up to 26.8pounds of boost and made 1,203 hp at the crank for 60 pulls with no damage to the stock internals.
    Just thought i would share if anyone has the chance find the sept 2011 hot rod and check it out.
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/
    Last edited by vstaving; 03-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

^ That was an awesome article

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i agree

Rio Red
    1988 Chrysler Conquest

4.8 = Diamond in The Rough

Wow guys I apologize in advance for showing up and my first post being against the grain. Some of you guys need to read the article in Super Chevy Magazine "5.3 vs 4.8 The Little LS Slugfest". It is what convinced me to go with the 4.8. They changed the intake, heads, throttle body, cam, manifold and exhaust and made 476 HP on a stock bottom end. Exactly what I am about to do. As far as reliability and cheapness I think these can be explained.

1.Reliability: This is the most widely used engine in GM's commercial market. It HAS to be near bullet proof as almost all GM fleet vehicles utilize this engine. Also Super Chevy ran a test on it with a turbo or twin turbo set up (I forget which) to try and break the engine ON PURPOSE. This engine came directly from the salvage yard with 180K or so on it. They modified the upper ring on the piston and that was basically the ONLY upgrade. They gave up trying to break it at 26PSI and 1200HP. This is all on a stock fuel system, stock bottom end, & stock top end. Wow!

2. Cheap: The upper explanation is basically the same argument here. There are so many of them in the market they basically are giving them away. The junkyards here in this hick town where I live of 30,000 people has two junkyards and probably 10-20 of the 4.8 engines between them. They usually come from wrecked commercial vehicles.

Last year I bought one of my teenage dream cars which was a 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI (Shows you how poor I was. ) and the 2.6 Turbo in it is basically like dating a supermodel. She is moody, high maintenance and expensive as hell to maintain. I wanted to do something different so I researched. i was basically certain I wanted a SBC in it 5.7 was my first inclination. Wait! that's been done already, and done, and done, and done! Hey! I have an idea! 5.3! I had one in my 2003 Silverado. Peppy sucker for that big ole truck. looked around and that has about been done to death as well. Then I ran across this little 4.8 gem. So, thats exactly what I'm going to do. Plenty of parts for it. Cheap. And is basically the 5.3 with a shorter bore and stroke. I will be turbo charging it as well because 1. I want to keep the "TSI" in my "TSI" to be true, and 2. turbo charging is WAY fun!. Lol, anyways dont write off that little diamond in the rough. i will let you guys know how it goes throughout the project.
    Last edited by Conquest LR4; 05-05-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Left out information

Thread Information