Black
    1999 Trans Am

3rd time changing window regulator

I was wondering if there is a known problem with driver side windows. I have a 99 Trans Am and I've had to change the driver side window regulator 3 times now. I changed it about 3 years ago and recently it broke the window actually fell down apparently some bar snapped off and so I had the replace the regulator which all comes together motor regulator and now about 3 weeks later its messed up again... its stuck down(of course) and it will go up and down about an inch. It was brand new from auto zone. So now its becoming a big issue cuz i'm worried about using it. Anyone know of a known problem and a solution? I know windows on these cars usually have to be replace one time or another but not every month. And my passenger side has never been replaced.. Why cant the other one work fine?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by blackTA6585 View Post
    I was wondering if there is a known problem with driver side windows. I have a 99 Trans Am and I've had to change the driver side window regulator 3 times now. I changed it about 3 years ago and recently it broke the window actually fell down apparently some bar snapped off and so I had the replace the regulator which all comes together motor regulator and now about 3 weeks later its messed up again... its stuck down(of course) and it will go up and down about an inch. It was brand new from auto zone. So now its becoming a big issue cuz i'm worried about using it. Anyone know of a known problem and a solution? I know windows on these cars usually have to be replace one time or another but not every month. And my passenger side has never been replaced.. Why cant the other one work fine?
    How do you shut the door? Ever think of going with a different brand?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'm very easy on the door.. barely hear it shut. its the passenger door that gets abused i'm always having to tell people to not slam it(which is the one I never have problems with). I got the auto zone one because of lifetime warranty.. the last time was a factory replacement 3 years ago. This one I got about 3 weeks ago when it went out again. It seems like it gets caught on something on the inside of the door i guess where it wont go up right and winds up breaking but i dont know why. theres nothing inside different than any other door.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

When it was working did you hear the motor struggling at any point raising or lowering the window? With everything that was apart did you have any noise or water leaking?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

No water leaking but did seem like it was struggling sometimes to go up and sometimes the corner would get stuck and i'd have to pull it back some to get it all the way up with the door open. But why would it get stuck what would make that happen?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Maybe it was out of alignment. If it got stuck that would strain the mechanism and the motor.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Do you know how I can check that or fix that? Cuz thats probably what it is but I dont know how to get it the way it needs to be.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You just have to make adjustments when the door is open. Most of the regulator holes are slotted to make adjustments. I only changed the motor so I just put the original regulator back to stock. If the regulator is changed you would have to make some adjustments.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

AAHHH interesting I didnt know that. Thanks Very Very much i'm gonna see what I can do with that tomorrow. So basically i'll have to leave the panel off and keep adjusting it to see what works best. Cool I hope thats it. Thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've also found the GM regs to be better quality then aftermarket ones, although I don't have any experience with the F-body ones. I have run into fast failing NAPA regulators. Once you get everything adjusted properly, hopefully it'll last longer. Otherwise try going back to a GM one, even if its a used one from the junk yard.

Thread Information