383 or LS1

This is a discussion on 383 or LS1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok guys I need some help with the new year looming there is engine work that I want to get ...

artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

383 or LS1

Ok guys I need some help with the new year looming there is engine work that I want to get done but I'm encountering a dilemma.

First off as my info states I drive a 97 trans am that is burning oil like a beast out of hell and my mechanic(my fiance's dad) suggest to just rebuild the motor(idk been getting different suggestions on that one) but I figure it would be a good excuse to get it stroked.

Now my dilemma that I am encountering is I had also wanted to drop an LS1 in there if my engine ever crapped out but if i get it stroked 9/10 times that wont happen.

Would it be more practical (or should I say better?) to drop in the LS1 or get it stroked?

As always the input is appreciated

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can get great power either way, google outlawz on youtube and you will see a 383 running 9's all motor. Would you have money to build the ls-1? If you had money to build the ls-1 I would go that route because of newer technology, less problems, and availability of performance parts.

2002 Camaro Z28

I knew a guy who had a 93 Z28 with a 383, it made a decent power with stock heads and a mild cam. I also knew a guy that swapped his lT1 for an LS1 in his 97 Z28. He didn't do the work himself and it was expensive, something like $5,000, by the time he bought a used motor and had it installed. Seems like it would have been more practical to just trade the car for one that came factory with an LS1. I think building the stroker out of your LT1 with some good heads would make more sense.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

My Ls1 had 100k miles on it, I did a head and cam swap and had it tuned by texas speed, it put down 463 hp to the tires thru a 9 inch. And then blew it up on the spray, long story fuel pump failed and then boom..So I am in the course of stroking my LS1 to a 383, its not cheap anyway you go about it. another benefit of the LS1 is its all aluminum, saving around 80+lbs over an iron block. If you are going to build a stroker I would go the LS1 route. Like I said mine put down these numbers was running 7.40s on a slipping clutch on just the engine, I tried spray and then boom.. but with the h/c setup I was daily driving it, I had around 3k miles on it before the track, and I was still getting around 24 mpg. hope this helps ya out a little.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9j39C0SjY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9j39C0SjY[/ame]
    Last edited by RARON455; 12-26-2009 at 06:50 PM.

artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

Ok guys thanks for the input been looking things over and also asked around a little at work and im pretty sure im going to go with the 383 . I must say im excited for new years.

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

i would go with the ls1 its a better more efficent motor... it has a lot more potential lt1s are severely limited in alot of ways im not saying the 383 wont make power but think long term with an ls1 and a right cam youll make more power than with the 383 plus a better rpm range

just my .02

Thread Information