Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

#3 misfire

This is a discussion on #3 misfire within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by AfterYou Would the coolent be effecting the misfire also? Sure can,, heavy corrosion can lift the head ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by AfterYou View Post
    Would the coolent be effecting the misfire also?
    Sure can,, heavy corrosion can lift the head if it's getting to the decks and head mating surfaces.. I'll go out on a limb here and say it prolly is.. The pink/orange coolant will become extremely acidic over time if the system is not flushed once in a while.. Acid on composite paper head gaskets is very bad.. Like pouring battery acid on a note book.. Before long it will eat right though it leaving nothing but the wire frame in spots.. Unfortunately it will also ruin the engine deck and the heads.. I sicerely hope this is'nt the case but it's starting to feel that way bro..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

i looked at my engine coolent "the one with the rubbery dipstick by the battery" and it looks really thick, is that supposed to be that way?
    Also the red dipstick looked fine, and seems the yellow needs a refill

White
    2008 Hummer H3

i looked at my engine coolent "the one with the rubbery dipstick by the battery" and it looks really thick, is that supposed to be that way?
    Also the red dipstick looked fine, and seems the yellow needs a refill
    Noooooo not supposed to be thick @ all..

Red and yellow dip stick?? Red top is your tranny, the yellow is your oil.. Please tell me you've never dumped coolant in those...

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Noooooo not supposed to be thick @ all..

Red and yellow dip stick?? Red top is your tranny, the yellow is your oil.. Please tell me you've never dumped coolant in those...
    oh no of course not lmao thatd be terrible, i dont do any fluids myself, my step father does....

and for the engine coolent ill post a picture of what it looked like tonight

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Click for full size
    Oh yeah that's not good.. Flush the entire coolant system asap.. Don't forget to flush the rez too or you'll introduce that sludge to your new coolant.. I recommend going back to the green stuff and distilled water mix..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-04-2010 at 08:02 PM.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Oh yeah that's not good.. Flush the entire coolant system asap.. Don't forget to flush the rez too or you'll introduce that sludge to your new coolant.. I recommend going back to the green stuff and distilled water mix..
    any suggestions on how to flush the system? ive got no clue, and my step dad is out of town for a nearly a week now

also greenstuff/water? no clue lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

any suggestions on how to flush the system? ive got no clue, and my step dad is out of town for a nearly a week now

also greenstuff/water? no clue lol
    I did mine by disconnecting the rez and removing the rad cap then put the garden hose into the rad some. Remove the outgoing diverter hose @ the quick release connection on the diverter itself.. Turned on the water and fired her up.. Let her run with water from the hose running too untill the water comming from the diverter runs clear.. Then disconnected the other diverter hose stuck the hose in one end and flushed the heater core.. Then flush out the rez real good to be sure all the sludge is out and reconnect everything. Then refull the system with 50/50 green antifreeze mix. Very messy to say the least.. If your not sure you can handle this project you can take it to a shop and have it flushed too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-04-2010 at 08:19 PM.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

I did mine by disconnecting the rez and removing the rad cap then put the garden hose into the rad some. Remove the outgoing diverter hose @ the quick release connection on the diverter itself.. Turned on the water and fired her up.. Let her run with water from the hose running too untill the water comming from the diverter runs clear.. Then disconnected the other diverter hose stuck the hose in one end and flushed the heater core.. Very messy to say the least.. If your not sure you can handle this project you can take it to a shop and have it flushed too..
    I think that taking it to the shop seems safer on my part lol, thanks! Thats something ill learn a lil later in life haha, as of now, i need to pay and get it done with, i have to sell the bird

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I did mine by disconnecting the rez and removing the rad cap then put the garden hose into the rad some. Remove the outgoing diverter hose @ the quick release connection on the diverter itself.. Turned on the water and fired her up.. Let her run with water from the hose running too untill the water comming from the diverter runs clear.. Then disconnected the other diverter hose stuck the hose in one end and flushed the heater core.. Then flush out the rez real good to be sure all the sludge is out and reconnect everything. Then refull the system with 50/50 green antifreeze mix. Very messy to say the least.. If your not sure you can handle this project you can take it to a shop and have it flushed too..
    I would'nt recommend doing this in an HOA (if you live in one) housing community tho.. They frown on rusty old coolant running down the street..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Unhappy

I think that taking it to the shop seems safer on my part lol, thanks! Thats something ill learn a lil later in life haha, as of now, i need to pay and get it done with, i have to sell the bird
    I hate to say that's prolly your best bet now. The previous owner obviously sold you their headache.. Bummer but you'll be chasing neglect the rest of the time you own it, it would seem..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

I would'nt recommend doing this in an HOA (if you live in one) housing community tho.. They frown on rusty old coolant running down the street..
    ha we live off a rather large driveway so i think if we did it at my house, wed be good haha, and my step father is a construction manager, and hes got all this random crap in the garage to block off flows of water and such, so itl all be good, but im still leaning towards just paying a shop to do it

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

I hate to say that's prolly your best bet now. The previous owner obviously sold you their headache.. Bummer but you'll be chasing neglect the rest of the time you own it, it would seem..
    yeah, my dad said just sell it, get what i can for it, then buy either a little beater till i prove to him i can get a trans am of my choice, or i can just save the money and he will help me finance a newer car, im choosing trans am hands down. started young, and i shall grow up to them too!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

yeah, my dad said just sell it, get what i can for it, then buy either a little beater till i prove to him i can get a trans am of my choice, or i can just save the money and he will help me finance a newer car, im choosing trans am hands down. started young, and i shall grow up to them too!
    If you're in your late teens I'd say listen to your dad.. Buy the time I was your age I had 10 cars most were field cars but all were v8 cars too.. I learned @ an early age to respect the power and torque that a v8 can deliver on demand.. With that said an LS1 powered car can be dangerous to the inexperianced driver.. Inexperiance with such power could cost you or others their lives easily.. Set your goal and go for it.. There are many options above a 3800-II car.. Many v6 cars produce much better power too.. Good luck in your search for the ponies!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you're in your late teens I'd say listen to your dad.. Buy the time I was your age I had 10 cars most were field cars but all were v8 cars too.. I learned @ an early age to respect the power and torque that a v8 can deliver on demand.. With that said an LS1 powered car can be dangerous to the inexperianced driver.. Inexperiance with such power could cost you or others their lives easily.. Set your goal and go for it.. There are many options above a 3800-II car.. Many v6 cars produce much better power too.. Good luck in your search for the ponies!
    Oh and BTW, the 300+ hp 60*v6 Di DOHC 3.6L in the 2010 Camaro would be an excellent start imho.. You can already find used ones too..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

I have much respect for ANY car with even +1 HP then ive driven before, I am slowly crawling up the chain, my father was a police officer for 25 years and ive seen his cam videos of crashes and such, so i am definitly careful, i completely agree with him not giving me a straight out v8 with more power then i need. And i am totally okay with that, i would much rather grow to the power, and learn the limits of everything

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I have much respect for ANY car with even +1 HP then ive driven before, I am slowly crawling up the chain, my father was a police officer for 25 years and ive seen his cam videos of crashes and such, so i am definitly careful, i completely agree with him not giving me a straight out v8 with more power then i need. And i am totally okay with that, i would much rather grow to the power, and learn the limits of everything
    That's a good way of thinking bro.. Hope I did'nt sound like I was preaching to you.. My bad.. You've been around long enough to know I'm a v6 guy.. So I promote the notion of anything v6 powered.. Plenty of v6's out there with the balls to waste v8's too. So I my mind a v8 is'nt always nessasary.. Tho I love v8's too but I lean towards the DOHC v6's more than any other engine type.. V8 is the same it's DOHC or go home for me..hehehehe I'm hooked on their complexity and the pure music they make when screaming down the road..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

That's a good way of thinking bro.. Hope I did'nt sound like I was preaching to you.. My bad.. You've been around long enough to know I'm a v6 guy.. So I promote the notion of anything v6 powered.. Plenty of v6's out there with the balls to waste v8's too. So I my mind a v8 is'nt always nessasary.. Tho I love v8's too but I lean towards the DOHC v6's more than any other engine type.. V8 is the same it's DOHC or go home for me..hehehehe
    haha yeah, youve helped me with nearly all of my firebird problems!
    most likely if i get a newer car, its either the 2.0 turbo, or the v6 genesis coupe which are freaking AWESOME to drive haha, Although id take a 2010 camaro, but i dont wanna copy my dad when he gets his :P

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Okay, pretty much took apart my whole entire right side engine

I have the metal thing under the ignition module
    the module its self
    all 3 coil packs removed

I brought the module to autozone to be tested, and it was clean

so now my last option is just the wires, another 45$ fix, but cheaper then 150 for the module

the tech there also said just clean out my boots and it could maybe fix it, so we shall see, im also soaking all the screws in water/soap to clean them off

ill put everything back together and see what happens, if its still sucking balls
    im replacing the wires and selling the car

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Put everything back together after a deep clean, no fix, Im buying new plugs and wires tomorrow!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information