Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

#3 misfire

This is a discussion on #3 misfire within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by AfterYou 75k miles 1: When the pedal is pushed more then 1/2 way down, so about 2500 ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by AfterYou View Post
    75k miles
    1: When the pedal is pushed more then 1/2 way down, so about 2500 RPMs
    2: No, It is only when the gas is pushed more then half way.
    2b:Yes, On start up for the first 3 min. of driving or so it doesnt, then it comes.
    3:No, there is no smoke
    4: see #3
    5: Had my step dad follow me and he reported no smoke at all.
    However, I cannot go WOT or it will misfire so badly it shakes my whole car
    Also when i pulled out of the driveway after it rained a extremely hard shower, and there was a ton of rust where my car was, is this part of a problem? or just because of the raid
    Okay. It maybe the ignition module, injector, or possibly the cat..

Rust where the car was??

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Okay. It maybe the ignition module, injector, or possibly the cat..

Rust where the car was??
    Under where the Engine is, Ill take pictures of it in a little bit "its 4 40 AM" when i wake up, and ill show you what it looks like of the 'rust" thats dripping

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Im taking the car to a trusted shop about 30ish min from my house this weekend maybe, I got a concusion today and im not allowed to drive at all, so ill play it by ear and such, i really hope its not to exspensive to see what the problem is and fix, because my parents WILL NOT let me under my car no matter what, to which is prolly a good thing, but still i think that lifting my car once with the correct tools and such should be okay for a 45 second job, all i had to do was check if #3 wire was loose because i can BARELY touch it from the top :/ oh well, my parents insist i bring it in, so my dad will pay for the shop and everything thankfully, im glad he helps out so much on this car!

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

went out and bought a new cam sensor, and it didnt fix the problem either, so far 80$ outa the pocket i dont have to stend in the first place, thats what the shop told me to go buy, so idk what else to do other then wires and plugs

White
    2008 Hummer H3

went out and bought a new cam sensor, and it didnt fix the problem either, so far 80$ outa the pocket i dont have to stend in the first place, thats what the shop told me to go buy, so idk what else to do other then wires and plugs
    Imho, gotta be the ignition module or the catalytic converter.. Or there's an issue with the LM gasket and dexcool.. Sometimes you can get a defective plug wire too... Try replacing #3 with an old one or switch it with the one next to it @ the coil and the plug ends, and see what happens..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Alright, Well tomorrow im going to have them look at it again, and see what they say, i might just go out and buy a whole new set of plugs/wires and get them installed because apparently the previus owner got the wrong kind?! idk but we shall see, problem with just swapping them is im not allowed under my own car, and i cant reach my hand down in there to get it in :/

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Alright, Well tomorrow im going to have them look at it again, and see what they say, i might just go out and buy a whole new set of plugs/wires and get them installed because apparently the previus owner got the wrong kind?! idk but we shall see, problem with just swapping them is im not allowed under my own car, and i cant reach my hand down in there to get it in :/
    So you're sayin' you've never changed the wires or plugs??????? I think we've just found the problem

Time for a better tool set.. imho.. I'm a fat ass and do mine from the top.. lol
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-31-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

I myself have never changed them, but ive only had the car ~10k miles

and my tool set is beyond more then i need lmao

and i just cant get my hand under the exhaust for #3 :/

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i have to agree with the plug and wires. I know you mention you only owned for 10k but you don't know when was the last time those got replaced.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm still concerned with your "rust" on the ground issue tho.. Sounds like maybe coolant is leaking. Rust may be from our all iron block and heads.. Has the cooling system ever been flushed? Also check the plastic cooland transfers and their o-rings.. They're just black plastic elbows one goes to the LM and the other to the block from the coolant diverter.. Both use o-ring seals that can crack and/or break.. The elbows themselves are also suseptable to breaking as they become harder and more brittle over time..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-02-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm still concerned with your "rust" on the ground issue tho.. Sounds like maybe coolant is leaking. Rust may be from our all iron block and heads.. Has the cooling system ever been flushed? Also check the plastic cooland transfers and their o-rings.. They're just black plastic elbows one goes to the LM and the other to the block from the coolant diverter.. Both use o-ring seals that can crack and/or break.. The elbows themselves are also suseptable to breaking as they become harder and more brittle over time..
    good point smittro, check your coolant hoses. they might need to be replace.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Smittro, not sure if you touched on this, but the 95-97 had that problem with the plate that the coils sit on. It had to be replaced every 70k miles. GM had a recall about that in 98-99. I know cause I spent a year chasing the very same similar problems OP is describing. It got so bad that SP wires would blow apart, and had random miss-fires in cylinders. I changed the plate all better.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

This play is the module right? or what is the "plate" Also, uploading rust pics right now

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

The first picture shows multiple times parking in that spot.

This is just from one day of parking there

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This play is the module right? or what is the "plate" Also, uploading rust pics right now
    yes it's the ignition module for the packs..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The first picture shows multiple times parking in that spot.

Click for full size

This is just from one day of parking there

Click for full size
    Is this comming from under the front if so, looks like you have a serious coolant leak.. If not it maybe comming from the drive shaft.. They love to rust mine is covered in rust and I take top care of mine too.. However mine does'nt spot the concrete..

Navy Blue Metallic

Looks like coolant to me too.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Would the coolent be effecting the misfire also?

black
    2002 WS6

that much rust is not a good thing specially from coolant leak. the coolant in there is long gone and you are getting heavy corrosion. It can cause a misfire if it is getting into the combustion chamber. The only way to know for sure will be to remove the plug. When cold, pop open the rad cap and see what is going on in there. My guess, the car hasn;t seen proper maintenance in a very long time.

If the coolant looks that bad, chances are the rest of the fluids are in not any better shape.

Navy Blue Metallic

Would the coolant be effecting the misfire also?
    Only if you have a head gasket leak

A quick check would be to look at your oil dip stick, make sure you have no coolant in your oil pan (makes oil look like chocolate milk)and vice verse oil in your coolant.

Do you have a Power steering cooler? This would be another thing to check out.

If you have no idea when your coolant was last service you can get a coolant test kit from any parts store. Just follow directions. Me, I would do the test just to see how bad your coolant is, and then flush and replace.

I hope you don't have a Head Gasket leak. It's not a hard thing to do, but still is a PITA and time consuming to fix.

I still think you have the problem I stated in an earlier post.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 11-04-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information