3" cutout = Failed Emmisions

This is a discussion on 3" cutout = Failed Emmisions within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ya know it would figure that this would happen. SES light has been on since I added the cutout. If ...

01 NHRA n AZ

BLACK
    2001 NHRA edition TransAm

Unhappy 3" cutout = Failed Emmisions

Ya know it would figure that this would happen. SES light has been on since I added the cutout. If by having that means that my o2 sensors will go bad and never work is there a way around that? I am going to be adding black long tube hooker headers and a borla exhaust here when money starts to fall off the palm tree or until my 1979 Trans Am sells. . until then what do I do?
    Here is what pulled off my emissions report that did not pass:

KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING: FAIL

READINESS MONITORS THAT ARE NOT READY: EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES REPORTED: P0420 , P0430

MIL STATUS: FAIL

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

White
    98 Trans AM

Well a P0420 is Evaporative systems small leak which normally means your gas cap is loose. Do you run with the cut out open at the inspection? Try closing it and see if your codes go away. I doubt that will do it but worth checking.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    Well a P0420 is Evaporative systems small leak which normally means your gas cap is loose.
    Hmmm... never heard that. I've always heard that a P0420 code means that the rear O2 sensor on the driver side is not getting an accurate reading. Which means that either the O2 sensor is bad or, more generally, your driver side cat is going bad.

I've had both P0420 and P0430 codes set in the last year and a half and they both were caused by bad cats. Had them replaced under the Federal Emissions Warranty (8yrs/80K miles) and not had a problem since.

Marc

P0420 and P0430 are catalyst inefficiency codes, or no cats/no sims. If your cutout is under the rear seat shouldn't throw a code - had one for years. MIL STATUS fail probably just means the SES light was on. EVAP readiness not ready is fairly common, some states let you get away with a couple "not readies", doesn't look like they failed you for that. Making sure the car is completely warmed up or some GM drive cycles might help that. If you have stock cats and under 80K look into getting the dealer to replace them under the federal warranty.

Navy Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6 Vert

Register the car outside Maricopa or Pima County, and forget about it.

01 NHRA n AZ

BLACK

Ok. . let me clarify a few more things here and see what kinda answers come after this.

I have 121,300 miles on it(yes I LOVE driving it) so I am positive that there is not a warranty on the planet that covers my car so any work that would need to be done would be out of pocket and if possible with guidance done by myself and some wrenchmen that I trust. The cutout is located prolly right at the footboard of the back seat passenger side. I do have a cap for it and did put it on for the emissions test as well as disconnected my battery for 2 days prior to emissions to reset the codes. So. . is this something that will be a bitch to fix on my own, or would it make sense to take it to the dealer? Any round about idea what the cost would be with this fix?

Well you should be able to have the computer reset the codes by just driving around for 45 minutes, I did that with my 2000 Silverado V8

Dealer will probably charge you big time for parts/labor. You can do it yourself if you find the cats, but rusted bolts (and maybe 02s) will be a pita. Does AZ do the sniffer, or just read codes? If codes only you might be able to get away temporarily by having the codes turned off or installing 02 simulators. Just an idea...so glad we don't have emissions in Florida...in the same situation I'd gut my cats and just turn the codes off. Is the light still on? Also, disconnecting the battery for a while resets all your readiness checks.

01 NHRA n AZ

BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Dealer will probably charge you big time for parts/labor. You can do it yourself if you find the cats, but rusted bolts (and maybe 02s) will be a pita. Does AZ do the sniffer, or just read codes? If codes only you might be able to get away temporarily by having the codes turned off or installing 02 simulators. Just an idea...so glad we don't have emissions in Florida...in the same situation I'd gut my cats and just turn the codes off. Is the light still on? Also, disconnecting the battery for a while resets all your readiness checks.
    When I had mine checked they just read the codes. However they do have the sniffer as well, but did not hook that up for mine. Again. . I disconnected the battery for 2 days and the light was off til I drove it bout 50 miles or so then it came right back on.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

MIL means Malfunction Indicator Lamp or SES light is on. having them come on right after installing the cutout is just coincidence. the easy and cheapest thing to do is buy o2 simms. then after you add them, disconnect the battery to clear the codes. then, you'll have to do at least 20 start ups including driving to have the readiness tests to pass.

Thread Information