Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2nd gear downshift near 100MPH. HELP!!!

This is a discussion on 2nd gear downshift near 100MPH. HELP!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i met this guy that claims he threw it in reverse accidentially when going down the 1/4 i found that ...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i met this guy that claims he threw it in reverse accidentially when going down the 1/4

i found that weird because of the reverse lockout solenoid, but he said his buddy saw the reverse lights come on

so idk

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

do u by any chance have lous short stick, or a short stick of any kind, cuz im thinking about getting that too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

yeah, man, it did scare the hell outta me. I thought my rear end was gone right then and there. I was expecting to pick up the clutch and go no where. one of the worst moments in my car.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

glad to hear that it all worked out for you. 7 of them GOOD GOD MAN!!!! just make sure that you don't do that again. I see you have the chrome moly push rods.. good stuff going to go that route myself in the near future. but beware with those. With the OEM design the push rods are the "weak link" in case of malfunction. now that you have beefed them up a bit another piece "could" be the weaker point and that will fail before the push-rods will now. Just something to keep in mind. Lets hope it doesn't happen again though.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i met this guy that claims he threw it in reverse accidentially when going down the 1/4

i found that weird because of the reverse lockout solenoid, but he said his buddy saw the reverse lights come on

so idk
    I don't think that could happen unless he was a complete worthless driver. at least on a 6 speed.. don't think it could happen on a automatic eigther. I think he was blowing smoke up your arse.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    I don't think that could happen unless he was a complete worthless driver. at least on a 6 speed.. don't think it could happen on a automatic eigther. I think he was blowing smoke up your arse.
    the lock out wont let that happen.

nc98z
    If you shifted to 2nd at that speed there is no telling how high you reved it because a rev limiter can't save you on a bad shift. Pushrod time!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

exactly what i thought

red
    1998 trans am

My brother did this to my car when it had only 900 miles on it! I never bothered to check the pushrods but the car has had a bit of a "tick" to it ever since.

It has gone 120,000 miles after that... I wonder if I've been driving on a bent pushrod this whole time. The car still runs fine except for some weird aging car issues (TCS problem, vibration when braking, not cooling properly) and I even autocrossed it for a few years, so now I'm sorta afraid to tear into it. If it's run this long, maybe I should leave it alone.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Holy shit! 120,000 on t/a, and still going. thats really encouraging. Cuz i plan to keep my car forever.But, yeah, mine was ticking too w/ bent rod, fixed rod and no more ticking.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

if it's a bit of a tick it's proably not a bent pushrod that wouldn't be "a bit" of a tick. more than likely its valve train noise. Especially if its a pre 2000 model car. they beefed up the 2000+ engine's valve train.

red
    1998 trans am

Thanks. It's a 1998 and I heard about the valve train noise so that's why I never had it looked at.

My poor brother almost had a heart attack after nearly killing my car with less than 1000 miles on it though

It's definately feeling it's age though. The doors are sagging, I had to have the door and t-top seals replaced, there is a lot of underbody surface rust after driving in England for 2 years, the TCS is out (code C0239 spark retard circuit) and the dealer won't troubleshoot it, and something is vibrating badly enough under light-moderate braking on the freeway that I thought the ABS was triggering for no reason. The cooling system doesn't work like it used to either, and a flush/refill didn't work as well as I thought it would so I think I may have a clogged radiator or something.

Oh yea... Does anyone know if I "fix" the problem with the TCS, do I still have to get the code cleared or will it clear itself? I think it could be a wiring problem since it happened right after getting the car washed, but I don't want to keep paying some guy $50 to keep resetting the codes...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

If you struck a valve with a piston the valve would probably be bent and you would have a very distinct miss, not a tick. You would be running on 7 cylinders since the bent valve wouldn't seat properly. Just drive the car and keep an eye on which shift gate you are going into. BTW, I once accidentally shifted a Corvair Monza into second gear instead of fourth. Luckily I heard the tranny starting to complain before I let the clutch completely out. Still collapsed a lifter and rammed the pushrod right through the rocker arm. And that was with only 102 hp.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I had a compression test and the cylinders were all firing for sure, but the ones on the passenger side (,2,4,6,8) are much leaking much more than the others. I think i have figured out why. In summer i installed LT headers and i put the passenger side gasket on backwards, then touqured down the header bolts to the specifics. The next day, while installing the spark plugs, i noticed what i had done and corrected it. I should have just scrapped that gasket and bought a new 1, cuz now im thinking that the gasket is leaking just enough to show inconsistence w/ the other 4 (on the compression test) and consistency within those 4 (2,4,6,8). Is it true that these gaskets are very sensitive, and that having it torqued on backwards overnight was enough to throw it off, and cause a slight leak?

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Does it have an exhaust leak? If it doesn't then it shouldn't make a difference. I don't think it would make a difference if it does leak.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Black 98 Z-28, whisper air lid, ported polished descreened maf, slp smooth bellow, modified tb, 04 gto plug wires, ngk TR6 plugs, Megan underdrive pulley, cold fusion nitrous kit, k&n, removed cats, glass pack , casper o2 simulators, 3.73 gears, Burnt up 4l-60e, drilled and slotted rotors,

red
    1999 trans am convert

This happened to me twicw(no damage though),once after installing a used Pro 5.0,then a used factory hurst.I still have the Hurst in but try to remember after hitting third,turn my hand upside down for the shift to forth.This forces your elbow to move more to the right when pulling back and the worst thing that can happen is you end up in sixth!Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

No shit, that sounds like a good idea edbird. I will definitely try that. I also just got my pro 5.0 in yesterday night. I got one of those 6" short sticks with it and it is a much shorter shift than stock. However, i am already kinda use to it, but it is a major improvement and hopefully this will help me to never miss again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information