Results 1 to 12 of 12

241 heads

This is a discussion on 241 heads within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; how much of an upgrade is it from 853 to 241 heads?...

  1. #1
    Awesome member Bad Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    56

    Green
    1994 Z28

    241 heads

    how much of an upgrade is it from 853 to 241 heads?

  2. #2
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Co. View Post
    how much of an upgrade is it from 853 to 241 heads?
    Not worth the effort even if free

  3. #3
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Different casting. I remember something about the valves on 97-00 going bad, but not worth switching over for another stock head. If you got them for free and wanted to bump compression via milling then that's another story.
    Last edited by c5z28; 10-14-2009 at 11:37 PM.

  4. #4
    COTM July '09
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,111

    BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

    wait, what? They're the same head! 853's were early castings and 241's replaced them (or something like that). Some 853's had perimeter and some had center bolts and the 853's had the annoying notch on the deck surface ... http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php ... that's the dimensions of them (look where it says "stock LS1 head"). Actually, my setup is a mutant of the two; one 853 and one 241 (porter messed up one 241 and only had a 853 lying around to replace it), and I just got the 853 notch filled and both heads machined last week.

    Now if you were going for 243 heads, you'll be bumping up compression 'cos you're losing like 2-1/4 cc's.
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 10-14-2009 at 10:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    wait, what? They're the same head! 853's were early castings and 241's replaced them (or something like that). Some 853's had perimeter and some had center bolts and the 853's had the annoying notch on the deck surface ... http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php ... that's the dimensions of them (look where it says "stock LS1 head"). Actually, my setup is a mutant of the two; one 853 and one 241 (porter messed up one 241 and only had a 853 lying around to replace it), and I just got the 853 notch filled and both heads machined last week.

    Now if you were going for 243 heads, you'll be bumping up compression 'cos you're losing like 2-1/4 cc's.
    worded it wrong ,meant by aftermarket milling. And the 806 head was the predecessor to the 853 with the different valve cover bolts.

  6. #6
    COTM July '09
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,111

    BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    worded it wrong ,meant by aftermarket milling. And the 806 head was the predecessor to the 853 with the different valve cover bolts.
    well hope the OP gets the idea from what we've all said ..

  7. #7
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Unless their ported or LS6 no stock LS1 head is going to show a power gain over another.

    806 `97-98 (Perimeter bolt valvecover)
    853 `99- early 2000
    241 late 2000 -`04
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  8. #8
    Awesome member Bad Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    56

    Green
    1994 Z28

    man that sucks. i was honestly told otherwise. Then whats so different from the 98-2000 ls1's than the 01-02 ls1 other than the intake and cam? i guess i got burned, i paid 250 for the heads cause i was told by ls1 "pros" and "mechanics" that 241's out flow the 853's. Thats why they have diff part #'s. by the way whats a op?

  9. #9
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Co. View Post
    man that sucks. i was honestly told otherwise. Then whats so different from the 98-2000 ls1's than the 01-02 ls1 other than the intake and cam? i guess i got burned, i paid 250 for the heads cause i was told by ls1 "pros" and "mechanics" that 241's out flow the 853's. Thats why they have diff part #'s. by the way whats a op?
    original poster

    Get your money back

  10. #10
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Co. View Post
    man that sucks. i was honestly told otherwise. Then whats so different from the 98-2000 ls1's than the 01-02 ls1 other than the intake and cam? i guess i got burned, i paid 250 for the heads cause i was told by ls1 "pros" and "mechanics" that 241's out flow the 853's. Thats why they have diff part #'s. by the way whats a op?
    It's been said a million times on here.

    An LS1 is an LS1 and they all make approx 345-350 HP at the flywheel.

  11. #11
    COTM July '09
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,111

    BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Co. View Post
    man that sucks. i was honestly told otherwise. Then whats so different from the 98-2000 ls1's than the 01-02 ls1 other than the intake and cam? i guess i got burned, i paid 250 for the heads cause i was told by ls1 "pros" and "mechanics" that 241's out flow the 853's. Thats why they have diff part #'s. by the way whats a op?
    you've got to shoot those people seriously. As shown in the above link, the LS6 heads (243) flow only marginally better but also have a smaller chamber to increase CR. In other words, unless you're porting etc., not worth swapping stock heads. Wait, it was already said a few times here .. lol

  12. #12
    Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    TEXAS... U mad?
    Posts
    6,158

    Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

    stock for stock, not worth the effort. unless yours are toast, and your asking due to 241's being your replacment option...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
  3. AFR heads VS. Ported and beefed up stock heads.
    By hutcher04 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
  4. New Heads or Port/Polish Stock Heads?
    By Black02LS1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •