200k blues...

This is a discussion on 200k blues... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

200k blues...

Ok all, I bought a high mileage ws6 back in about 07 and have dded it ever since. It now hs 200k on he clock and drives... poorly. Plenty of power, but it feels unsafe. I'm good at engines, accessories and stuff like tlhat. In addition, I did my front swaybar endlinks and subframe connectors, but here's the trouble: I need to get this pile highway worthy quick and cheap. Where can I find wheel bearings for less than 125 apiece! What about shocks? I busted my flexplate doing an uphill 0-60 about a yr ago, do I really have to pay 500 to get a new one put in?

I think I can do just about any of this stufff in my garage, but super tough installs aren't my cup of tea wither. Should I just sell this project car and get al Mazda 3 or what?
    13.21@105.4. Subframe connectors, Goodyear Eagle F1's, 275/r17, !MAF screen, TB Bypass, Lid, Paper Filter, !Hood Baffles, electric cutout and HPTuners tune.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A4 I assume? I have my factory flexplate from my trans swap last year. It is time consuming but not too bad to change it out yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Autozone has its Duralast replacement front wheel bearing listed for $92.99: Duralast/Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front (DL513090) | 2000 Pontiac Trans Am 8 Cylinders G 5.7L SFI | AutoZone.com

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Yeah. 4. Its gonna need a lil more than just wheel bearings and flexplate tho. I'm thinking perhaps I may do a 'what breaks' type of DB thread for the 200k guys out there, but honestly I'm appalled at how much the wheel bearings cost! I just dropped a little over, $500 on a new alternator and power steering pump - I'm ready to have the damned thing running and not just limping until the next expensive garage day!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Ordered. Win.

Anything else I should need to do to take a few miles off the suspension? Probably bushings and shocks huh.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

How big a difference will high end shocks make vs cheapo ones?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If your current shocks are wasted, anything is going to feel better than what you have. For a DD, get some mid-price parts store shocks and you'll be happy.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I will get at least for DD monroe sensatrac shocks. Don't get gabriels I had those in the back and they blew in like 2 months. You might want to order the front shock mounts and have them in cae you need them. You can return them if you don't use them. It will suck that after you remove the OEM shock mount you need to replace them and nobody has them in stock...

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Good point. Aight thus far I've ordered front and rear shocks, upper and lower ball joints, right and left wheel bearings and a front control arm bushing kit. Ill probably pick up the shock mounts local just to make it easy to return them but is there anything else I should do while I'm at it? I want my car to not suck anymore!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check your tie rod ends for play too.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Ordered new ones. Fckit, 20 bucks well spent if it means I don't have to do it again

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'd grab a set of Moog HD sway bar end links.. Cheap and tough..

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Timken makes some killer stuff, my rearend gears were timken.

SteveC

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Timken makes some killer stuff, my rearend gears were timken.

SteveC
    That's what I have for hubs and axle bearings. Have them for almost a year and no issues.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Sounds like you are pretty much squared away, let us know how it drives. Did you choose a shock replacement brand or part number yet?

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Yeah, went with stagg (I'm broke lol) and put the rears on last night... seems to handle better already. Little more vibration but it overall is a big improvement. I have a 97 maxima that needs a fuel pump, I will be getting that car running before I start on the front just in case I hit a snag or need parts but next Tues and weds are the days for the install so I'm going to take a few pix and post my updates as available! Thanks for everything you guys. PS ls1howto.com is awesome. Shout out to them for real.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Hey one other thing : my flexplate is broken. How bad is it goin to be to fix it. I need to put in my bad ass forged TCI replacement. Anybody do one of them before? I keep putting it off because it seems like a huge job but I seem to recall hearing you can leave the Tranny in the car and get the swap done that way. I know its a long shot but I had to ask.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It can be done you'll need to move the trany and torque converter back far enough for the old flex plate to clear the torque converters pilot nipple and to remove the crank bolts.

I don't usually recommend to others to do it that way though, as you risk the torque converter disengageing from the main pump.

If you bolt it back together with torque converter disengaged from the pump it won't make it out of your driveway and the trany will be hosed..

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I personally would remove the trans. I wouldn't think you wouldn't have much room to work but I could be wrong. If you have a lift its a lot easier but I have done mine 2 or 3 times now. I would say its a 6 to 8 hour job but I am slow and thorough.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is the thread (with lots of pics) from my recent transmission swap: Transmission Removal - Part 1 Should give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do.

Thread Information