green
    98 formula

2005 clear coat flaking

I just noticed the other day that some of the clear coat is flaking on my wife 2005 yukon. Does anyone know would this be warranteed? It has 87xxx miles and the powertrain warranty was done at 36xxx miles. If this is not covered is there a way to repair it without repainting?

Thanks; Joe

White
    1998 Trans Am

I know my step brother got his blazer reprinted by GM after warranty because of defective paint that year I would look into it since it maybe covered since GM has had several vehicles with paint issues over the years.
    If not any panel flaking would have to be repainted there is no easy fix.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You can try, but I'm almost sure its not gonna be cover by warranty any longer based on its year and mileage.

green
    98 formula

Thanks for the replies so far. I hope a GM tech or body man/woman can chime in. I will call the local dealer when I get a chance.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm a GM tech. I'm very familiar with the mechanical warranty and fairly familiar with the paint warranty. As far as I know, the paint is only warrantied with the bumper to bumper warranty which is 3 years/36,000 miles. And panel rust through is covered for 6 years/100,000 miles. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and you might get lucky enough to find a dealer who is willing to convince GM to pay for the paint repairs if they feel it is a paint defect. If they think it is chemical or environmental damage (airborne pollutants, tree sap, stone chips, etc), then they won't cover it.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I'm a GM tech. I'm very familiar with the mechanical warranty and fairly familiar with the paint warranty. As far as I know, the paint is only warrantied with the bumper to bumper warranty which is 3 years/36,000 miles. And panel rust through is covered for 6 years/100,000 miles. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and you might get lucky enough to find a dealer who is willing to convince GM to pay for the paint repairs if they feel it is a paint defect. If they think it is chemical or environmental damage (airborne pollutants, tree sap, stone chips, etc), then they won't cover it.
    The only area thats flaking is around the door handle on thhe front passenger side door. seems to be an odd place cause its recessed so it cannot even be touched. I will be able to call a dealer in the morning. Do I have to deal with a gmc dealer or can I use a chevy dealer? I ask that only cause the chevy dealer has always taken care of me.

Thanks; Joe

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Any GM dealer, Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, Buick....they all can do it. Best bet is call the dealer that sold you the truck (if you bought from a dealer). Usually they like to treat their customers well so they buy from them again in the future. Next best bet is to call the dealer that you usually use and have a good relationship with. If they know and trust you and like you, they'll try harder to make you happy. Next best bet is a Cadillac dealer. They tend to be more focused on making customer's happy at any cost.

Thread Information