Green
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500HD

2004 6.0litre swap into a 2001 truck - some questions

Hi,

Been having a heck of time trying to find out if a 2004 6.0litre will work in my 2001 truck.
    I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500HD with the 6.0litre engine. Im looking at putting a motor in it out of a 2004 2500 that has the 6.0litre. The only thing I can tell is different is that the 2004 has the drive by wire, so the throttle body has a plug...not cables for butterfly in the throttle body.

Can I just swap my throttle body and bolt it to the 2004 intake? Or will I need to swap my entire intake and put it on the 2004 engine?
    Also, will the wiring harness from the 2001 be plug and play on the 2004 engine?...like the fuel injector plugs, etc.
    Is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks for your help.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Yes it is plug and play. All of the stuff from the heads up to included the accessory drive can swap over no issues. Hell even all but one thing of the internals are direct swap. Ony thing that is a real issue is the reluctor wheel. Now how you can tell this without pooping the oil pan is to look at the crank sensor. Look to see if it is black or grey and that it matches the same color on your old block.

Reason being that the black sensor is for a 24x reluctor wheel and the grey is 58x. I believe that the 01 will have a black sensor making it a 24x, the 04 might be a grey one with makes it a 58x.

Neither will work with the other. If you have the 2 different colors you have a few options.

1) Take the crank out and swap over or get a new reluctor wheel. They are not expensive to buy and install, and recommend you can have an engine machine shop do it.

2) This is the most expensive and can lead to trouble - if the crank has a 58x reluctor wheel and the truck is a 24x there are conversion kits but they run in the $500-700 range.

Green
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500HD

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes it is plug and play. All of the stuff from the heads up to included the accessory drive can swap over no issues. Hell even all but one thing of the internals are direct swap. Ony thing that is a real issue is the reluctor wheel. Now how you can tell this without pooping the oil pan is to look at the crank sensor. Look to see if it is black or grey and that it matches the same color on your old block.

Reason being that the black sensor is for a 24x reluctor wheel and the grey is 58x. I believe that the 01 will have a black sensor making it a 24x, the 04 might be a grey one with makes it a 58x.

Neither will work with the other. If you have the 2 different colors you have a few options.

1) Take the crank out and swap over or get a new reluctor wheel. They are not expensive to buy and install, and recommend you can have an engine machine shop do it.

2) This is the most expensive and can lead to trouble - if the crank has a 58x reluctor wheel and the truck is a 24x there are conversion kits but they run in the $500-700 range.
    Thanks for the info!!
    I will check the crank position sensor.

Green
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500HD

Quote Originally Posted by hoorders View Post
    Thanks for the info!!
    I will check the crank position sensor.
    Checked the sensor on the 2004....and its black....the wiring harness that plugs into it is grey...but sensor is black.

Navy Blue Metallic

2004 6.0litre swap into a 2001 truck - some questions

you're good then. you can swap over your stuff. the internals are the same with exception in that if the 04 block is a LQ9. not much difference but the pistons are flat for the 9 and dish on your old engine.

if it is a 9 you get a bump in compression ratio.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Green
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500HD

you're good then. you can swap over your stuff. the internals are the same with exception in that if the 04 block is a LQ9. not much difference but the pistons are flat for the 9 and dish on your old engine.

if it is a 9 you get a bump in compression ratio.
    Thanks again for your help!!

Now I just need to find someone who can do the swap for me.
    Ive been quoted anywhere from 11 to 18 hours to do the swap......that seems like a lot!!

Navy Blue Metallic

It's not that bad or hard to do, just time consuming. You'll need a engine hoist, some chain and tools. Also use tags and label the connectors, it goes back faster if you know what they go to. I can pull a engine from the top on a f body in 2-3 hrs tops. Truck would be a little different, mostly because of the height.

You need to separate the transmission, next all of the wire harness connections and grounds to the engine. Maybe your radiator & hoses, fans and drive accessories (at least the power steering pump, here I just remove the pump form the engine support bracket and position it out of the way without disconnecting the hoses). I'd take the intake off, the fuel rails you should be able to separate from the intake without disconnecting them from the fuel rail and then lay it off to the side. Then Exhaust manifolds and lastly the engine mounts. You can use a chain or a lift plate to lift the engine out.

You biggest issue is going to be clearance of the radiator support cross member. With it being a truck a hoist might be the only way unless you choose to go from the bottom. Then that has a whole other list of directions.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-02-2016 at 05:59 AM.

Green
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500HD

It's not that bad or hard to do. You'll need a engine hoist, some chain and tools.

You need to separate the transmission, next all of the wire harness connections and grounds to the engine. Maybe your radiator, fans and drive accessories. I'd take the intake off, the fuel rails you should be able to separate from the intake without disconnecting them from the fuel rail and then lay it off to the side. Then Exhaust manifolds and lastly the engine mounts. You can use a chain or a lift plate to lift the engine out.

You biggest issue is going to be clearance of the radiator support cross member. With it being a truck a hoist might be the only way unless you choose to go from the bottom. Then that has a whole other list of directions.
    Thanks for the info.....really appreciate all the input!!

Thread Information