2002 Z28, throwing P0401 code

This is a discussion on 2002 Z28, throwing P0401 code within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My car has been setting off the P0401 code alot lately, emissions time is due and I need it fixed ...

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

2002 Z28, throwing P0401 code

My car has been setting off the P0401 code alot lately, emissions time is due and I need it fixed to pass. Normally it will set the ses light every 3 days or so, after about 60 miles of driving and I keep resetting it. My car sits alot, so seems like everytime I go to drive it, something else acts up. I have searched all over and can only find the info the fix the 99-00 egr code, but nothing on the 02 and the insufficient air flow code. I have FLP long tubes on the car and high flow cats into a magnaflow catback. The long tubes have been on the car for about 4 to 5 years and never had a issue until lately. I seen somewhere where someone said to spray cleaner in someplace because it could be sticking. But now I can't find the post about it. I can't deleate the code from the system now, so need to fix it. I use a predator tuner and needs to be sent back to get a solder fixed on the connector and get the new updates. I did the restrictor plate mod on the air tubes a few weeks after putting on the long tubes since I was getting a sound from them.
    Trying to track down what it could be causing it, Could the flaps in the air be sticking or? I am pretty sure it is something sticking since car has only had about 4,000 miles put on it in about 3 years. Before that I did ET drags every weekend for 3 years and never had a single issue. Car has about 40k miles on it now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I am getting ready to put new 02 sensors on. but I don't think thats the cause and it isn't setting off the 02 codes on a reg basis, maybe once or twice in every 2,000 miles and was doing that even before the long tubes.

That's weird, sure that's the code? You can't find any EGR code info for your car because the 01 and 02 doesn't have it.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    That's weird, sure that's the code? You can't find any EGR code info for your car because the 01 and 02 doesn't have it.
    Thats exactly what i was thinking...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Just re-read your post. Thinking the code might be P0410 for the secondary air?

2002 Z28

Hmm, I was pretty sure it was the p0401, but could have been the p0410. It said Insufficient Flow Detected or something simular like insufficient air flow detected. Could it possibly be a bad 02 causing this. A few years ago I had a mouse chew on my wire harness and would at random times show multiple missfire detected and throw a few codes and my bank 1 02 has thrown a code at random times since the car had about 10k miles on it, but would clear and not come back for months. About 4 months ago for a few days the car was getting the missfires and acting up, I went out and messed with the wire harness and it stopped doing it and hasn't done that since. I also was throwing a stuck shift solonoid code, but I ran some seafoam tranny cleaner through the transmission and the code never came back, so I figure was gummed up from sitting for months at a time. I looked up the p0410 code and says something totally different than what mine was saying when it threw the code.

Before condemning the 02's I'd get the actual code, don't worry about the description. If the SES is on now or has been within the last 40 cycles or so I'd stop by someplace like autozone and get a free code scan. What needs to be soldered on the predator? If it's just the cable and don't know where the wire(s) go I can look at mine, it's an old version too. Mine has the multi-pin DLC connector.

2002 Z28

I reset the code the day it went off, so yesterday I decided to drive the z28 all day and try to get it to set the ses again. Went to see the new Camaro in person finally and stopped at alot of places and code never went off, so soon as it does again I will post. figures when I want it to go off, it doesn't.

2002 Z28

Now I can't get it to set off that code lol. But, it set off a code for the 02 bank 2. I have 2 extra stock 02 sensors off my car when I put the long tubes on at 15k miles, so will put one in and see if that helps at all.

Thread Information