Unhappy 2002 TransAm WS6 randomly won't start

I have a 2002 TransAm WS6 that for the last few months has an issue starting.
    This happens randomly.
    The dash lights up normally, but when you turn the key, it does not even try to crank.
    Does not even crank, no engine turnover, no starter trying.
    Dash lights/gauges don't change as they do in normal starting, ie. volt gauge drops, etc.
    The security light is not coming on.
    I have all the symptoms, but no security light! (yes, the light does work)
    I can verify the correct OHM reading at the connector under the dash and it stays constant as i jiggle the key, turn the cylinder back and forth, and jerk the key in and out. (obviously it drops when the key is out, but same reading when the key is back in)

The car is at the dealer now, they state its not VATS, the alarm, clutch switch, starter relay or ignition.

At the times it won't start I can roll the car down the driveway, pop the clutch and it starts.

It will run fine for days, then just not start one day.

This has only happened first thing in the morning.

Car is garage kept.

Any Ideas?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

May be a short in the steering column or a relay Electrical gremlins are hard to help.... good luck. Hope they don't rack up the charges on you.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I've had this happen in the past and it was because my key was dirty...I am notorious for working on something with grease or dirt on my hands and taking the keys out of my pocket and getting grime on the resistor on the key. Clean it off with some rubbing alcohol really well and see if it goes away. It does sound like a vats issue that is just now starting, but it very could be the key thing I described...ask the dealership how they know its not the vats. Get specific details other than "we dont think its that" because it really does sound like its the vats...our cars have quite a few issues with that and the wires in the column.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The fact that it starts when you roll it and pop the clutch isolates the issue. You have air, spark and fuel, just no cranking. Start (no pun intended) by swapping out the starter relays with known good circuits. If that has no affect, then inspect the harness and wiring to the starter. It may look ok, but you'll need to give a close up inspection. If the circuits and wiring are good, check it for a cranking signal (I can post detailed instructions later if you need them). You want to see if the starter is receiving the signal from the key on down the line. If everything checks out, it may just have a dead spot in the starter and need changed out.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS A4

I'm having the exact same issue except I have no clutch to pop. So I just have to play the waiting game until it allows me to start it up. I get in the car early in the morning and it takes me to work no problem. A few hours later and I need to go to a meeting or lunch and the car won't start. Come back a few hours after that and it starts with no issue. I can't figure it out, it's random. I've changed out the alternator, battery, and done the VATS bypass. My next move is to replace the starter since the car has it's original starter. Looking through the hundreds of posts about starting issues all over the internet, I believe it to be a worn out starter solenoid issue. I'll install the new starter this weekend and report back if it's cured my random no start issue at all.

If it doesn't cure it, then I'll have to consider taking it somewhere to have the issue diagnosed. But knowing cars as well as I do, the issue won't present itself until I absolutely need the car to start. If a mechanic takes a look at it, they won't be able to replicate the no start issue. And they'll tell me they can't find anything wrong. That's why I get so frustrated trying to track this bug down. I'm at the point where I don't care if I have to replace every computer, relay, switch, and wire harness to get the problem solved. It's my bank account vs Fbody. Something tells me Fbody is going to put up a fight.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

If I understand your description - the starter will not turn over at all?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it could be a few different things......normally when a solenoid is bad it will "click" one time. Not always but the times I've had solenoids go out that's what they would do. You can usually knock the shit out of the starter with something and get it to engage. Another thing is a bad battery ground or bad/corroded ground cable. Something else is it could just be a bad spot in the starter. I've seen that happen too. They'll just have a dead spot in them and do exactly what you guys are describing.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I've seen a few threads similar where it ended up that the problem was the key fob...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Just thought of this. Have you check to see if the safety switches for the brake and clutch are in their proper place or loose? If those switches are not in the correct spot they will not let you start the car.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS A4

Update for my car, it was indeed the starter. Replaced it and it starts every time. I could not replicate the no start syndrome it was suffering before. KTS, your symptoms sounds exactly like what I was experiencing except mine would do it more frequently. The old starter was sluggish in comparison to the new one.

Being an A4, 4L60E though, it was a tight fit getting the new starter in with the revised mount. I had to get the starter up there into it's hole and then wire it up. I kept hitting the tranny cooler lines and the passenger rear O2 sensor when I tried installing it with the wires connected.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is a tight place to work. I have had the starter in and out of our car a couple of times. A lift makes it so much easier than ramps or jackstands.

Thread Information