Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

2002 Trans Am WS6 Anniversary

I have a family member who has a 2002 Trans Am WS6 Anniversary car. It's the yellow one, and has t-tops. Anyways, he bought it and hasn't really driven it at all since he got it. It's got under 800mi on it. The only bad thing is, it's now not been started in probably 8yrs. It has 1/4 tank of gas in it and we can't get it to start. We changed the fuel filter and put some lucas fuel additive stuff into the tank and still can't get it to start. It's turning over, just not starting.

Any ideas?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

wow that long...several things come to mind. Please tell us you drain and put in new gas, oil and coolant....

1st thing I'd check to see if you are getting any fuel pressure at the rails. Should be about 56psi for start up.

Next pull all plugs and wires to look for dryrot. Plugs could be fowled as well.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

On this car it's coil packs correct? How do you check the PSI at the rail? Something you connect to the Schrader valve?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

8year old gas is probably starting to turn into jello...I am going to bet that you will have to drop the fuel tank to get whatever is in there out. I would quit trying to start it until you clean the tank out. Even if the gas is still a liquid, its probably going to have a fairly decent amount of condensation in it which you dont want in your line or motor.

I would also like to reiterate the oil and coolant comment...swap out all of the fluids before you try and start it because you could end up damaging something.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

There was VERY little gas in it when it was parked. How long does it take oil to break down? The oil when you pull the dipstick looks like clean oil. I apologize if some of my questions seem dumb. I used to work on my own cars when I was younger and there weren't computers and crap crammed into an engine bay, so a LOT of this stuff is all new to me.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by TxSoldier View Post
    There was VERY little gas in it when it was parked. How long does it take oil to break down? The oil when you pull the dipstick looks like clean oil.
    even some gas can still be an issue...gas will eventually get very gummy and can cause some issues in situations like this. Also, if that same gas was in your lines and injectors, it will clog those as well because of how the gas changes over time.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by TxSoldier View Post
    On this car it's coil packs correct? How do you check the PSI at the rail? Something you connect to the Schrader valve?
    Yes, any parts store has a fuel pressure gauge for around $20. Autozone rents them.

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    8year old gas is probably starting to turn into jello...I am going to bet that you will have to drop the fuel tank to get whatever is in there out. I would quit trying to start it until you clean the tank out. Even if the gas is still a liquid, its probably going to have a fairly decent amount of condensation in it which you dont want in your line or motor.

I would also like to reiterate the oil and coolant comment...swap out all of the fluids before you try and start it because you could end up damaging something.
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    even some gas can still be an issue...gas will eventually get very gummy and can cause some issues in situations like this. Also, if that same gas was in your lines and injectors, it will clog those as well because of how the gas changes over time.
    ^^this is why I was asking. My main reason is to ensure you are getting fuel to the injectors. Those can also clogged up from sitting gas as well. I guess you could disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail and put the hose into a gas can and turn it over a few times. I did this after I swapped out my fuel pump.

Oil break down life span varies on condition of oil, weight, dyno vs syn, climate of the vehicle storage....you get the point. It's just extremely smart money to swap out the fluids. Main problem you are going to have is gaskets. Sitting that long with no start ups I'm willing to bet the rear main will go first follow by the rest. We are not trying to scare you just giving a heads up on what to expect.

Pull the plugs after turning it over. If it doesn't smell like gas you have a good indicator on what the issue is.

I could also be other things. Damn wasps and mice love to get in storage cars and eat up wire of clog throttle bodies (make sure it's clear). Would not be the first time I've seen it closed off by dirt dobblers.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-06-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Check all vacuum lines too just for giggles. I would at a minimum change the oil and coolant. I'd also (at some point), change the transmission fluid and rear end gear oil.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Clean out the fuel system and injectors with 3M fuel system cleaner. Make sure you have 55-60 # of fuel pressure at the fuel rails and check your plugs and coil packs. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information