Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

2001 Alternator : How To ?

So I just got the car and it seems like the alternator crapped out after my simple green wash. I replaced the battery and she fires up much better but I was watching my voltage go down slowly with the new battery all the way home. SO off I go to GM.

I've never done ANYTHING to an LS1 but from looking this drops from below? ANy tips or info would be appreciated !!!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Pull both the battery & alternator & have them tested before you buy anything.
    Many auto parts store will test for free.
    The battery could shot & not taking a good charge.

www.rockauto is MUCH better than a GM dealership to buy from

SOM
    2002 SS

go figure just my luck,. Nobody has one in stock. not napa, not gm , not partssoursce. I call the canadian tire local to me in Milton and they have one ! It's reman but what the hell 4 year warranty and I'm impatient as hell.

I'll snap some pics gonna throw her up on jack stands and run off to pick it up !!

SOM
    2002 SS

Put her up and started taking things apart. I laid down underneath and started laughing. it can't be as easy as it looks !!.. I'm going to take pics and put a post up for everyone to know how its done :thumbs:

Good luck bro. I had to change mine 3 times.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    So I just got the car and it seems like the alternator crapped out after my simple green wash. I replaced the battery and she fires up much better but I was watching my voltage go down slowly with the new battery all the way home. SO off I go to GM.

I've never done ANYTHING to an LS1 but from looking this drops from below? ANy tips or info would be appreciated !!!
    make sure that the red wire from the alt to the harness isnt off or broken. this had caused quites a few people problems. it is the wire that plugs into the alt.

SOM
    2002 SS

Looks like the wire is fine and it is an original alt. pretty corroded although being where it is I wouldn't imagine even a new one staying clean very long.

I am stumped. I loosed all 3 bolts. the rear and top bolt. the lower bolt comes out but gets stuck. it is loose but I can't pull it all the way out. maybe because of the weight. The alternator is pretty tight in there. I tried tapping it from above and I got it to move but it is pivoting on the bottom bolt. I see some sort of bracket on the front of the alt that is moving with it. I cant get it out of its slots so I can remove the dam thing..

any thoughts?

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

remove the whole bracket that the idler pulley and the altenator bolts too you didnt forget the one that goes in from behind?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Looks like the wire is fine and it is an original alt. pretty corroded although being where it is I wouldn't imagine even a new one staying clean very long.

I am stumped. I loosed all 3 bolts. the rear and top bolt. the lower bolt comes out but gets stuck. it is loose but I can't pull it all the way out. maybe because of the weight. The alternator is pretty tight in there. I tried tapping it from above and I got it to move but it is pivoting on the bottom bolt. I see some sort of bracket on the front of the alt that is moving with it. I cant get it out of its slots so I can remove the dam thing..

any thoughts?
    for some people the wire has broken inside of the insulation. you could try a electrical tester on the wire if the alt passes its test

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks for the input guys. i just finished. unfortunately I have pictures till halfway. after that the wifey showed up and had to deal with her bitching (have been in the garage since i picked it up last week!) while I finished.

I ended up removing the bracket but the lower bolt was stuck connecting the alt to it. I still wiggled them both out together. Since it came out together I put it back in together with the 1 bolt and fiddled her in place. the 1 wire plug seemed flimsy but looked ok. Rear bolt was a pita to reinstall I had to loosen almost all the bolts fully to be able to maneuvre the alt to get it to start the threads from the rear. Once I got that one in I buttoned her up.

Still haven't fired it up yet had to bring the dog in and get warm. I'm about to go for a cruise will post up in a few.

Wasn't very hard I can only attribute the tight fit a testament to the solid nature of the ls1. Well engineered motor with many bolts and a super tight fit it reduces vibration much more than the ltx design. Makes me think of my LT4 in the vette though... like a 5 min job lol !

SOM
    2002 SS

Seems like she runs well. Voltage is steady at about 14 i think. here's what happened earlier.

1. started and ran fine since I picked it up last tuesday.
    2. drove to work for first time today.
    3. went out for lunch noticed it took a bit longer than normal to fire.
    4. after work barely fired.
    5. seemed to drive ok on the way home stopped to get some stuff.
    6. no start in the parking lot.

Now I would think this would mean the battery is messed up and not holding a charge since it runs when its on but just doesnt start BUT... After I changed the battery I was driving home and keeping an eye on the voltage. It was dropping steadily from 14 down to 13 and below when I got home. Now I'm fairly certain if you disconnect the battery the car continues to run if on and the volt guage shows what the alternator is putting out. This can only mean if volatge is dropping while driving that the alternator is crapping out. Least by my thinking. Only thing I'll admit is that when i fired it again to put her in the garage the volatge seemed back at 14.

I know I like to throw money at problems but I guess I figure I can't go wrong with a new alt and battery in a used vehicle. Makes me feel good about not getting stuck anytime soon.

We'll see tomorrow

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Old school ways don't work well with today's cars.
    If you disconnect the battery while the engine is running you will cause voltage spikes that can harm your electronics.
    You can destroy a perfectly good alternator & other sensitive electronic components by doing this.
    Always a good idea remove suspect batteries & alternators & have them tested before spending money on a new part. Many places do so for free.
    Alternators are not designed to take the place of a battery charger, so fully charge the new battery as per manufacturers specs before placing it into service.
    Most batteries never die of old age.....they are murdered through neglect & improper installation.

SOM
    2002 SS

I'm not familiar with old school. Just running the way things work in my head as a method of process of elimination.

Anyhow I picked up my old battery today from cdn tire and plugged her in. She fired up. when shut down and the stereo on for about 5 seconds she started a little slower. I drove it around the block in 1st to try and give it some charge and when I came back I shut her down and left the headlights on for 10 seconds with the stereo. Tried to fire and no go. she doesn't have the juice. So it turns out the battery was the culprit.

So now I have a reman alternator in the car and the original one out. the original one looks decent (bosch or something) but it is all corroded and black inside (normal i guess). Personally I just dont feel good having a reman in the car because my gm was closed early yesterday. I may just order a new one and take the reman out and return it. It's also a possibility that the alternator was failing I guess possibly killing and discharging the battery.

Anyways thats for the input everyone !!

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

you got a remanned alternator right sounds like alternator still, check your grounds dude sounds like sometimes its working sometimes and not others do your lights dim in and out?
    Last edited by BMJ99Z28; 05-12-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Most batteries never die of old age.....they are murdered through neglect & improper installation.
    Im gonna knock on wood with this post but my battery is a walmart battery from 02.....

I occasionally charge it with the battery tender when im at the shop..

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    make sure that the red wire from the alt to the harness isnt off or broken. this had caused quites a few people problems. it is the wire that plugs into the alt.
    What would happen if the red wire was broken? Not only is my red wire cut, like 2 other white wires are cut too! And they look cut too. Theirs only 1 wire going to the alternator LOL. Everything seems fine tho, just seems to be overcharging if anything.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by david_viny View Post
    What would happen if the red wire was broken? Not only is my red wire cut, like 2 other white wires are cut too! And they look cut too. Theirs only 1 wire going to the alternator LOL. Everything seems fine tho, just seems to be overcharging if anything.
    ya that wire is part of the system and can cause issues. like not charging, erratic electronics operation, etc. i would get it fixed. its pretty easy to do. mine broke so i went to me local auto parts store and just bought a new connector for like $2 and fixed it in about 10 mins

SOM
    2002 SS

In my plug there is only 1 red wire. is that normal for an 01? I looked at the terminal inside and theres just 1 metal tab suggesting that there only should be 1 wire...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

In my plug there is only 1 red wire. is that normal for an 01? I looked at the terminal inside and theres just 1 metal tab suggesting that there only should be 1 wire...
    yup only 1 wire. you good

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

worth noting david viny...your alt. could not be your car specific..it could be a vette etc..that would explain some of the oddness with its setup...its a known fact that the f-body 98-02 alts are underpowered..112amps-115amps for a car (T/a fully loaded) that with lights,radio,a/c etc on..pulls 100+ amps....there is a service bulliten explain this in further detail..and suggests running the car with everything turned off for like 10 minutes to help charge the battery etc ....try to find it..it has alot of good info in it....so its not uncommon for people to use the alt. from silverados(sp) ...and from corvettes.

Thread Information