Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

2000 WS6 all stock. Starting Mods?

I am so new to modding (as I have never done it). I have been researching but I know that I can learn a lot more from people that have DONE this kinda stuff before, people who have learned from their mistakes and have learned things that could be helpful to other people.

Anyways back to my question. What should I start with for modding? A list (in order lol) of what should be done would be great. Such as supporting mods and stuff before other mods and such.

Its an automatic transmission 2000 WS6 Trans Am.

Thanks for any advice. I know that this question is probably asked OVER AND OVER, but bare with me.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Here is a link to my thread in the Firebird / WS6 section if you would like to take a look at that too.....

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149726

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Welcome!

Aha, a red WS6 automatic! Attaboy, that's a fine choice Looks great!

I am still fairly new, too. But I can tell you the first thing. A lid. Everyone agrees on that. Replaces the stock airbox and baffles, gives more airflow, easy hp...

After that, it depends on your goals. I am as much about improving longevity of the car as I am increasing performance. To that end, I like sub-frame connectors next. And then perhaps an auto tranny tune or shift kit to firm up the shift points, or a higher stall torque convertor, and a transmission cooler. I haven't done this yet, but folks with autos tend to say that a higher stall is one of the best mods, and the tranny cooler is a must with it.

Good luck, have fun! Welcome to our crazy world...

----

Oh, and speaking of learning from mistakes. I say 'no' to a K&N filter. It oiled my MAF, I lost MPGs, had to take it apart and clean the MAF, was a big pain. I say stick with the standard air filter.

Last edited by Schmalgar; 01-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

As stated a above... First mod period... SFC's (subframe connectors)...

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ok, also before there are most posts, I want to keep it my daily driver with power... but not tons of power where I could break something easily. What would be a good set-up for reliability? How often do these LS1s break? My dad doesn't want me modding much because he doesn't want me tearing stuff up and having an unreliable car because it can break at any time. He is kind of paranoid because he used to race hardcore and his brother still does and breaking things was a common occurance and he doesn't want me to deal with all that.

So... that stated. How do the LS1s do for reliability with mods and which mods provide the best hp with still having a reliably awesome car?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    Ok, also before there are most posts, I want to keep it my daily driver with power... but not tons of power where I could break something easily. What would be a good set-up for reliability? How often do these LS1s break? My dad doesn't want me modding much because he doesn't want me tearing stuff up and having an unreliable car because it can break at any time. He is kind of paranoid because he used to race hardcore and his brother still does and breaking things was a common occurance and he doesn't want me to deal with all that.

So... that stated. How do the LS1s do for reliability with mods and which mods provide the best hp with still having a reliably awesome car?
    IMO headers and a 3500 converter.. It makes for a great DD and is decent if you ever take it to the track.. You can beat on this setup all day IMO and never break anything.. How often do they break... That all depends what you do to it. The more HP you add the more weak things tend to break... 10 bolt rear etc... Again with just headers and a converter you can DD and not worry..
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 01-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ok, but lid and subframe connectors very first?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

IMO SFC's first period... I know a lid will not cost much or add much but. Strengthen the frame first. Then do what ever dad will allow. I doubt he would have an issue with headers or the converter. Just understand these cars can get away from anyone driving one...

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    IMO SFC's first period... I know a lid will not cost much or add much but. Strengthen the frame first. Then do what ever dad will allow. I doubt he would have an issue with headers or the converter. Just understand these cars can get away from anyone driving one...
    Get away? What exactly do you mean by that?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Get away? What exactly do you mean by that?
    Sorry I should have explained that better. Just stating the rwd part. That the car can swap ends real easy. I just understand your dads concerns.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Its not that, its just that he doesn't want me to blow my engine or having mechanical failures with my car, because that would mean my car would be parked and not drivable. He knows what fast cars are like, that was his life up until he was like 25. Then he had kids lol.

But basically he wants me to have a car that wont be breaking down on me.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

SFC's,lid,headers and converter should not blow the motor.. Heck you could even do a small cam say 224/228 or a 228/228. And still be DD fun with little worry about the motor.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I had a 98 TA that I drove for 7 years to 175K miles. They can certainly be fun AND reliable, with the proper care of course.

I'm onboard with what he's saying. SFCs, lid, stall, headers/exhaust should all help give you the feel you want without making the car any less reliable. Nothing crazy with those mods...

Black
    2000 SS

SFC, Lid, Long tubes, full exhaust, LS6 intake....... Then you can start worrying about things like cams etc....

Plus with these mods it would be just as reliable as stock..... They key is check your oil every time you think you might drive the car hard. These cars tend to burn some oil and the last thing you want to do is starve it of it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A car is as reliable as the owner is...

Have you changed the tranny fluid? the read end gear oil? the brake fluid? power steering fluid? coolant? oil? air filter? fuel filter?

With that said, what is your budget for mods?

Are we talking a few hundred or are we talking a few thousand. That will tell us how long to make the list

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    A car is as reliable as the owner is...

Have you changed the tranny fluid? the read end gear oil? the brake fluid? power steering fluid? coolant? oil? air filter? fuel filter?

With that said, what is your budget for mods?

Are we talking a few hundred or are we talking a few thousand. That will tell us how long to make the list
    I am just looking at what I should get for starting mods once I have money to put into mods. So really the budget isn't even here this very second, but I like to plan ahead.

Also, I bought the car a week ago and have been checking everything out. Although I do admit I haven't finished changing everything so that I know for sure it is good. All of that will be done in a week or two probably. I'm actually going to change the oil here within the next couple of hours.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
    SFC, Lid, Long tubes, full exhaust, LS6 intake....... Then you can start worrying about things like cams etc....

Plus with these mods it would be just as reliable as stock..... They key is check your oil every time you think you might drive the car hard. These cars tend to burn some oil and the last thing you want to do is starve it of it
    All of these starting mods that you guys are talking about, will they be good for if I put a cam in it eventually? Like if I get headers, then eventually I get a mild cam, will I need to change the headers again?

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

no i dont see why you would. just go ahead and get some nice Stainless steal long tubes and they will last you a long time

Black
    2000 SS

All of these starting mods that you guys are talking about, will they be good for if I put a cam in it eventually? Like if I get headers, then eventually I get a mild cam, will I need to change the headers again?
    No you will not have to change them out again. But def do headers/ exhuast and intake before cam

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea i would stick to full exhaust then getting your TB P&P and getting wires and plugs with a frost mail order tune and that thing will scoot! also an ls6 intake
    Last edited by 02sunsetorangeZ; 01-07-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Thread Information