danman

2000 T/A exhaust popping??

I just recently bought a 2000 T/A. It has Borla catback, lid, and 02 sims on it. The exhaust pops really bad when shifting gears. Especially when the car is cold. What can I do about this? Is it running too rich? It was doing it before I put 02 sims on and I thought that would fix it, but it still does it. The car has 86,000 miles on it with the stock cats.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

is it throwing any SES (service engine soon) codes?

danman
    It did this morning. I don't know what code yet.

I had a 2000 WS6 a couple of years ago with the same setup. It didn't do it near as bad as this one. It is very annoying.

Mine pops a little when cold, especially after a restart after driving it only a couple miles. Post the code when you get it read.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

The exhaust popping is a normal thing, especially with a cold engine. The air pump is pumping air into the exhaust system to help heat up the catalytic convertors. Even if you do not have catalytic convertors, the pump still pumps air into the system. After the air pump stops, usually the popping becomes much less. If you are getting a SES code, it is probably caused by your O2 Sims or some other cause. The popping is not causing the code. As I stated, you will get popping from a cold engine and some popping possibly even from a warm engine.
    JEB

danman
    This is not a normal popping sound. I had a normal pop on my 2000 WS6. This one almost sounds like a back fire every time I shift. I am just driving normal speeds. Not getting on it.

"bone stock....."
    1994 Camaro Z28

A lot of times, people will hollow out the stock cats. Have you actually pulled one and seen inside of it? Also, the cats just might be bad. I know a lot of guys that have hollowed out their stock cats to get the performance, but still pass emissions inspections.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

My O2 Z Has Kooks Lts, With No Cats On The Y Pipe, And I Welded Up A Small Spintech All The Way Back And A Lil 2 Inch Dump To Shut The Police Up. If I Shift Higher Than 3 Grand It Sometimes Popps Loud Especially On A Down Shift. But It Rasps Real Loud Everytime I Shift. The Unexperienced Think Im Grinding A Gear Everytime. I Kinda Like It

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Look for an exhaust leak. That can let air in on decel and cause some nice popping.

Has the car been tuned?

If so, there are a number of things that could have been done that increase popping like that. Throttle cracker, throttle follower, timing in DFCO, to name a few.

--97T--

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Had a 2000 T/A - It always popped when shifting gears - especially when cold. I kinda liked it. My 2002 doesn't do it - maybe difference between M6 and A4?

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

i Found Small Exhaust Leak On Y Pipe But Im Not Sure If Its Big Enuff To Make A Popp Or Grrraww Noise When Shifting, Mabey Cuz I Got No Cats Im Gonna Have The Shop Touch Up There Faulty Welding Then Ill Let You Know

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

My 2000 Z28 pops when cold. I recently went to a Hooker CR Aerochamber and it also pops when cold just not as loud as the stock system did. I let mine warm up for a few minutes unless in a hurry and don't experience any pop. Sounds fairly common to me.

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

My car had an exhaust leak at the header when I first bought it. Popped like a mutha. I welded it up and now it only pops now and then.

--97T--

Thread Information