metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

2000 Pontiac heater core...

Well...
    I am always helped out greatly here, so here's goes again
    My daily driver Grand Prix left a big wet spot in the parking lot at work this morning. Looks like Dexcool antifreeze coming out of the heater box drain. Kind of sort of guessing at this point because I have yet to get under the car and take a closer look. Didn't see any obvious external leaks like heater hoses or anything. Looks like it is right at the firewall and dripping off some of the subframe parts. Guessing that it may be leaky heater core. Anyone done one before?? Get at it from under the dash, right? BIG pain or not too terrible? I did a blower door actuator a little while ago and didn't like standing on my head but wasn't too terrible. Appreciate any help, advice, or tips.
    THANKS!!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    Well...
    I am always helped out greatly here, so here's goes again
    My daily driver Grand Prix left a big wet spot in the parking lot at work this morning. Looks like Dexcool antifreeze coming out of the heater box drain. Kind of sort of guessing at this point because I have yet to get under the car and take a closer look. Didn't see any obvious external leaks like heater hoses or anything. Looks like it is right at the firewall and dripping off some of the subframe parts. Guessing that it may be leaky heater core. Anyone done one before?? Get at it from under the dash, right? BIG pain or not too terrible? I did a blower door actuator a little while ago and didn't like standing on my head but wasn't too terrible. Appreciate any help, advice, or tips.
    THANKS!!!
    if it is the heater core its not an easy job. you can get it done but you have to pull the dash some to pull the A/C box were the heater core is.

Are you positive is the heater core? If you put the A/C on heat do you smell antifreeze? you can have the system pressure tested to confirm the leak.
    Another easy way to check if it it the heater core is to disconnect the heater core hoses and connect them together. This will isolate the heater core but will keep the coolant flow circulating. put a water hose to one of the heater core's tubes and flush it out. Then run the car for a few days without the heater core connected. Make sure you secure the hoses away from heat like the manifolds. If you don't see the leak and/or smell it anymore after a few days then is the heater core leaking.

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Not sure if it is in fact the core yet or not. Really doubting it, and hoping its not too!
    I found a page of photos and looks like the console and a good amount of the dash need to be removed
    Just saw the puddle this morning after co-workers told me. Went back to look again after sunrise, and the drips look like they are landing on the steering rack's passenger side boot. I was thinking that was the area where the heater/ac box drain was. The stuff in the parking loked red and tasted sweet which lead me to believe it was coolant not just condensation. No steam or stink inside the car Radiator and reservoir were full still so it is a little leak whatever it is. My drive is 60 miles each way so hoping nothing major as I head home. I know that I had to remove some sort of aluminum junction block from the front rear head area when I did valve cover gaskets a year or two ago...maybe that just neds tightening or a new seal, oring, or gasket. I forget what exactly was there. Check it out closer when I return home this evening. Hope for the best. Thanks for the tips and help! ! !

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    Not sure if it is in fact the core yet or not. Really doubting it, and hoping its not too!
    I found a page of photos and looks like the console and a good amount of the dash need to be removed
    Just saw the puddle this morning after co-workers told me. Went back to look again after sunrise, and the drips look like they are landing on the steering rack's passenger side boot. I was thinking that was the area where the heater/ac box drain was. The stuff in the parking loked red and tasted sweet which lead me to believe it was coolant not just condensation. No steam or stink inside the car Radiator and reservoir were full still so it is a little leak whatever it is. My drive is 60 miles each way so hoping nothing major as I head home. I know that I had to remove some sort of aluminum junction block from the front rear head area when I did valve cover gaskets a year or two ago...maybe that just neds tightening or a new seal, oring, or gasket. I forget what exactly was there. Check it out closer when I return home this evening. Hope for the best. Thanks for the tips and help! ! !
    check the hose clamps at the heter core by the engine bay area. Make sure is not leaking from those and seeping inside the plastic cover

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Well, all has been good with the heater core.
    Its not leaking, there has just been ALOT of condensation draining all the time.
    Plain old water coming out of the drain is all it was.
    BUT... it seems like there is an awful lot all the time now.
    Wondering if the AC is running and cooling more than it should be.
    Car has the auto climate control, even when I light the "econ" button it seems to be creating water.
    I had thought that would shut the compressor down...? ? ?
    Anything I should check or look for??
    THANKS as always! ! !

Thread Information