Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

2000 Camaro misfires during acceleration

My 2000 Camaro 3.8L misfires terribly while accelerating at all RPM's. This only happens after the car has had time to warm up and continues to become more severe the longer it's driven. I've replaced fuel injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, all plugs and plug wires. I've checked plugs and plug wires to make sure all are secure. I'm thinking it could be the coils? Need some suggestions...

black
    2000 camaro ss

mine was idling fine but when you put the fuel too it would pop&crack. turned out i had a (CRACKED) spark plug. it was rather hard to see it too. before i swaped coil packs id put new plugs in her.

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

*5.7L

*2000 Camaro 5.7L. And thanks I'll be checking the plugs as soon as I get off work, that'd be great if that was the case.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

3.8 5.7 ???
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Had a similar problem on the GF's car, it was a coil pack.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

Perfect. Thanks for the help, I was hoping to hear I wasn't the only one with this problem before I ripped off the coils. Think I'll buy one coil pack and swap it out 'til I find the faulty pack.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

so is it a 3.8 or 5.7? thats a hell of a typo

I had the same problem, turned out to be a loose plug, but our first target was TC.

how many miles on the tranny, and when was the last time you had the fluid flushed. not just just serviced, that only replaces 3-4 quarts, i mean the whole 15

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

5.7, its a hell of a typo unless I spent all day picking up parts for my 3.8L Jeep. The fluid was flushed 5 weeks ago, and the plugs look fine. 100,000 on the tranny

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thats odd, youre supposed to flush the tranny at 100k, like you did.

I should have mentioned that sometiems the torque converter wants to lock up prematurely then it disengages quickly, making the care shutter, and feels just like a misfire, and usually under acceleration. This problem is usually mechanical, and is usually fixed by getting the tranny flushed. but it could also be the solenoid that locks up the TC. It is electrical, but its on the tranny, so i dont know if it will throw a code or not

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

its a 6-speed manual tranny...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by JFos View Post
    its a 6-speed manual tranny...
    well shit

All i can say is swap some coils, see what happens....are you getting a code at all? a mechanics programmer will tell you what cylinder(s) are missing, a regular ODBII will just give you the misfire code. P1402 maybe?
    Last edited by Spikito; 04-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

no code. i haven't had anyone check to see which cylinder(s) (its def more than one) is/are misfiring yet

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

even without a code, they can bring up a screen that 8 circles, each representing a cylinder, with a zero beside it. i dunno how this trick would work in an M6 but in an A4 you powerbrake in reverse, tires wont spin and it will cause it to really misfire. The guy explained why that works, but i cant remember, anyway, each zero is a counter, itll show which ones are missing, and how many times. you gotta have over a certain number to throw code, but thisll show you any at all

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JFos View Post
    no code. i haven't had anyone check to see which cylinder(s) (its def more than one) is/are misfiring yet
    that's the first thing I would do.

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    even without a code, they can bring up a screen that 8 circles, each representing a cylinder, with a zero beside it. i dunno how this trick would work in an M6 but in an A4 you powerbrake in reverse, tires wont spin and it will cause it to really misfire. The guy explained why that works, but i cant remember, anyway, each zero is a counter, itll show which ones are missing, and how many times. you gotta have over a certain number to throw code, but thisll show you any at all
    Thats pretty cool, I'd love to know why that works. I picked up a coil today and plan on swapping it around to see if I can find the shotty coil(s). If that fails its going in to have the cylinders tested.

Artic white
    @001 Camaro

I just posted up on another old post about something similar. Mines a 5.7 and misfires under acceration also and just feathering the gas in overdrive but it happens when it warmed up also. Is yours making a funny sound in the exuast like a missing?

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman1 View Post
    I just posted up on another old post about something similar. Mines a 5.7 and misfires under acceration also and just feathering the gas in overdrive but it happens when it warmed up also. Is yours making a funny sound in the exuast like a missing?
    There was that noise. I bought a coil pack and moved it around trying each coil pack. Eventually I found one of the packs was bad and it runs great.

Artic white
    @001 Camaro

There was that noise. I bought a coil pack and moved it around trying each coil pack. Eventually I found one of the packs was bad and it runs great.
    Did you have an engine code for it or did it not show up? I'm only showing a code P1133? Also did you notice a sound coming from one side of the engine? I can hear a sound through my header and near the top of the engine on the passenger side but my driver is quiet.

Artic white
    @001 Camaro

It ended up the spark plug wire came loose.

Red
    2000 Camaro LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman1 View Post
    It ended up the spark plug wire came loose.
    Good to hear...much easier and less stressful fix than the faulty coil pack. A spark plug would've been my first suggestion had I not just replaced plugs, plug wires, fuel injectors and fuel filter.

Thread Information