Thread: 1le???

denn454

1le???

I've done a lot of looking around trying to find the answer to my question, but found nothing.

whats so special about a 1le car? I searched this site and all i could gather is they have bigger front swaybars.

I found an entire website dedicated to the 1le (www.1le.net) but i couldn't find anything saying what was different between it and a normal car.

looks like it was avaliable on z28's, TA's, SS's and ws6's.... just out of curosity was it a v6 thing also?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I believe "1LE" is the RPO code for the suspension upgrade. I believe they have stiffer springs, different shocks, and bigger sway bars. You can do better with aftermarket parts such as what BMR sells.

SteveC

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC
    I believe "1LE" is the RPO code for the suspension upgrade. I believe they have stiffer springs, different shocks, and bigger sway bars. You can do better with aftermarket parts such as what BMR sells.

SteveC

Back in the day 1le meant, no ac, no power doors, windows, blah blah, and performance upgrades. now it is as meaningless as SS. - A drivers car.

Red
    2000 SS

As meaningless as SS ?

Please elaborate.

denn454
    I knew thats what it used to be but i couldn't immagine them still doing things like that.

how is SS meaningless now? back with the 1st gen camaros ss was just an apperance package and nothing more. the Z28 was the only one that came with a specific engine (302) an RS, or SS was avaliable with any engine avaliable.

Now an ss (correct me if i'm worng) is a performance AND apperance package, from the ones i've seen and driven they feel like entirely different cars.

Red
    2000 SS

That's how I remember it - but it was never meaningless to me.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I think he might be referring to the fact chevy has put SS on every other car they make now. Just a wild guess though....
    Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 12-04-2005 at 04:14 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

1LE is dying now, not even 400 hp. Even in the LT1 cars it was a pretty mean factory car. LT4 rated at 425 (hott cam was actually 1LE stock cam), full suspension upgrade, no luxury at all, no power windows or locks, no air conditioning. When you ordered it you had to specify that you wanted a radio just to get one. Automatic was not supposed to be an option, but you could get one. Factory 3.73s. Weighed in at about 3100 pounds. It was a factory race car, nothing else. Ride rougher than hell, faster than hell, supposedly high 11s in the 1/4. You HAD to order it if you wanted it, production was limited to 500 a year, and that many were only made if that many were ordered. '98 up they aren't anything more than SLP bolt-on cars, not that SLP bolt-on cars are crap, but nothing compared to the heritage. Older than '93-97 I have no stats, sorry.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    1LE is dying now, not even 400 hp. Even in the LT1 cars it was a pretty mean factory car. LT4 rated at 425 (hott cam was actually 1LE stock cam), full suspension upgrade, no luxury at all, no power windows or locks, no air conditioning. When you ordered it you had to specify that you wanted a radio just to get one. Automatic was not supposed to be an option, but you could get one. Factory 3.73s. Weighed in at about 3100 pounds. It was a factory race car, nothing else. Ride rougher than hell, faster than hell, supposedly high 11s in the 1/4. You HAD to order it if you wanted it, production was limited to 500 a year, and that many were only made if that many were ordered. '98 up they aren't anything more than SLP bolt-on cars, not that SLP bolt-on cars are crap, but nothing compared to the heritage. Older than '93-97 I have no stats, sorry.
    Where did you get your information? GM Never produced an F-body rated higher than 345 HP, and that's for an SLP optioned '02 SS.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

GM never had a [I]production[I]car with more than 345 horse, the 1LE is not a production car. It is a special order vehicle and does not relate to production vehicles and is not even listed in GM released production numbers. I'll look around and find the information online if I can, if not I will scan the 1LE info from the '97 model year I got my friend at the local dealership to dig up for me. I need to start bookmarking this stuff.
    Last edited by oneBADDz; 12-04-2005 at 08:39 PM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Ohhh yeah I also just remembered, what about the few 95 and 96 SS cars and the 400 '97 SS cars that came stock with the LT4, they were rated varying from 345-385

Black
    1998 WS6

When I went to order a TA in '98, 1LE was the code for their "autocross" package. It deleated many of the power options, windows, locks, etc., and could not be order with the WS6 package. It had an upgraded suspension over the base models, but I believe that many of the early WS6's had 1LE components as well. A 1LE Formula was several hundred pounds lighter than a Trans Am. You couldn't get T-Tops on a 1LE car either.

Quote Originally Posted by TommySS
    As meaningless as SS ?

Please elaborate.
    Silverado SS, Cobalt SS, Monte Carlo SS

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    Silverado SS, Cobalt SS, Monte Carlo SS
    I respectfully disagree.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by denn454
    I knew thats what it used to be but i couldn't immagine them still doing things like that.

how is SS meaningless now? back with the 1st gen camaros ss was just an apperance package and nothing more. the Z28 was the only one that came with a specific engine (302) an RS, or SS was avaliable with any engine avaliable.
    the early ss package (rpo z 27)had very specific engines only 4 bbl carbed hi po engines with all ss models

Thread Information