Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

1999 V6 Camaro Rear End Question

My brother's car is making a noise....this is the call I got this morning.

I don't have any idea what the noise sounds like. All I know is that it is coming from the rear left side/tire.

It only makes the noise when he is backing up and when he turns the wheel to the left.

Any ideas? Wheel bearing starting to go?

How do you pull out an axle on his car? I am guessing there is a c-clip and you have to open up the pumpkin case to access it.

Last question - If it is a bad bearing. How do you remove it? Is it pressed onto the axle? Special tools needed?

Thanks!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

It could be a bad bearing. Make sure that you underneath the car 1st and something is not rubbing or causing vibrations. Check the exhaust also, my car had this vibration that only occured in reverse and it was the muffler hitting on the panhard bar.

As far as pulling the axle out like you mention you open the pumpkin, take out the bolt that holds the spacer shaft, take spacer shaft out. Push the axle and with a magnet remove the c clip. pull the axle out. inspect the area were the bearing rides on the axle. It should be shiny and no indentation. if it is bad you need to either replce with new axle or use a repair bearing.

The bearings can be removed by using a hammer slide puller with a rear end bearing adapter. You can rent those in autozone and similar places. remove the seal with a small prybar. Install the slide hammer puller. Slide the hammer until the bearing comes out. clean the area were the bearing goes. Install new bearing with bearing installer or a socket that is as big as the bearing. use a hammer and hit the socket to install the bearing. Make sure the bearing is going in evenly. Keep going until it won't go anymore. Don't hit the bearing anywere besides the outer ring. Install the new seal. Re install axle, c clip
    , spacer and bolt. clean the area were the gasket was. put rtv around the gasket and put a new gasket for the cover. Install cover and re fill with gear oil and aditive to proper level. If he hasnt changed the gear oil I would get new gear oil.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Yup we don't have races-sucks. Could be the suspension binding, check the 3 link set-up to rule out all possibilities. I wouldn't even rule out checking the rear brakes (slider pin, piston, shoes).

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Yup we don't have races-sucks. Could be the suspension binding, check the 3 link set-up to rule out all possibilities. I wouldn't even rule out checking the rear brakes (slider pin, piston, shoes).
    yes to all this also.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

All of the above unless the diff is going..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Probably looking at it over the weekend. I'll let you guys know what we find. Thanks for the replies.

Thread Information