White
    1971 Dodge Dart 572 hemi

1999 T/A Ws6 175k miles

Okay guys i found one its clean as can be two dent on the whole car no carfax but the miles worry me is this car gonna be worth the 4500 dollar price tag with the miles on?(175kmiles) and do the ls1 motors do well with high mileage? This is a fully loaded 1999 T/a ram air ws6 m6 t-tops... Any info will help

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TommY21 View Post
    Okay guys i found one its clean as can be two dent on the whole car no carfax but the miles worry me is this car gonna be worth the 4500 dollar price tag with the miles on?(175kmiles) and do the ls1 motors do well with high mileage? This is a fully loaded 1999 T/a ram air ws6 m6 t-tops... Any info will help

My LS1 took a shit at 140,000 miles but I didnt get any history with it so I dont know how badly is was or wasnt treated. People say they are very hard to kill the bottom end and that may be true. If you beat on it you will probably have to work on the top end first. New cam,valve springs lifters etc. Very good price IMO.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have a 2001 WS6 with a M6 and I have 170,000 miles on it. It's a daily driver and it still kicks but. I think proper maintenance is the key. Mines been fed nothing but synthetic oil, and of course I've had to replace the usual wear items like brakes and clutch.

Thats a great buy. Its very hard to say how long will it last. Think about it like this how long will any car last? As long as proper maintenance is done and its not beat on A VERY VERY LONG TIME. I would start by looking carefully at the maintenance records. Look under the oil fill cap for sludge, check the radiator for dexcool sludge. For sure take it to a good shop you trust to give it a COMPLETE check. Good Luck and post up pics if you buy it.

I just bought a 02 Formula with 31k miles on it, as soomn as i take pics i'll post um.

yeah thats a price you can't argue with

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I have a 98 trans am with 195k, and ohh boy she's still great!

i guess it does just depend on maintenace

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I have a 98 trans am with 195k, and ohh boy she's still great!

i guess it does just depend on maintenace
    +1 .

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

162xxx
    DD

When did I put my car up for sale? No, mine has slightly lower mileage and isn't "fully loaded." I got a slightly better price, but I'm paying for it now. I was worried about the engine and transmission, when I should have worried a lot about major leaks and the suspension. When considering something like that, you should test the heck out of it. Signs of lousy maintenance anywhere? If he didn't think fixing the dents was worth it and instead painted them over, right off the bat that's a possible sign of lack of funds for more important fixes or a quick-fix mentality. Rust or cracked hoses, for example? Noises when idling? Bumpy ride? Veers off when it hits bumps? Obviously it needs to start right up, accelerate well, brake well, but don't be seduced by that. Request maintenace records - as someone else said, I see. Routine maintenance - filters, spark plugs - should be in there. If I could do things over, I'd try for conditional payment - seller gets x up front and a personal check (dated a week or so in the future) for something more if the car passes (doesn't have thousands in damage) a thorough inspection by a mechanic soon after. (Checklists that you can download can be long and yet miss plenty.) I doubt a seller would go for that or getting an inspection before selling it, but it probably cannot hurt to ask. Also, check the door for the WS6 code and at least run the VIN through a free checker before buying the car.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 07-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Thread Information