1995 monte carlo z34 stalling

This is a discussion on 1995 monte carlo z34 stalling within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i know this isnt a lsx related question. but i just need all the help i can get at the ...

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

1995 monte carlo z34 stalling

i know this isnt a lsx related question. but i just need all the help i can get at the moment with my 95 monte. it has the 3.4 dohc motor. always ran perfect and strong for me. well it has sat for about 2 weeks, went out to drive it tonite, and the battery was dead. no biggie. jump it, and the car starts and continues to die unless you tap the gas, then it climbs to 3,000 and stays there for a few seconds then goes back to normal around 8-900rpm idle but just stuttering like a mofo. acts like a few plugs are fouled. well got it into my back yard to just park it and got it to stay running but just missing like crazy. no check engine light or anything, but it just smelled richer than crap, looked under the car cuz it just felt hot and theres my catalytic converter glowing bright ass red....any ideas what is causing this? could it literally be as easy as a few fouled plugs letting all that un burned gas into the cat and cooking it?? thanks any info will be helpful at this point like i had said earlier. thanks guys

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i know this isnt a lsx related question. but i just need all the help i can get at the moment with my 95 monte. it has the 3.4 dohc motor. always ran perfect and strong for me. well it has sat for about 2 weeks, went out to drive it tonite, and the battery was dead. no biggie. jump it, and the car starts and continues to die unless you tap the gas, then it climbs to 3,000 and stays there for a few seconds then goes back to normal around 8-900rpm idle but just stuttering like a mofo. acts like a few plugs are fouled. well got it into my back yard to just park it and got it to stay running but just missing like crazy. no check engine light or anything, but it just smelled richer than crap, looked under the car cuz it just felt hot and theres my catalytic converter glowing bright ass red....any ideas what is causing this? could it literally be as easy as a few fouled plugs letting all that un burned gas into the cat and cooking it?? thanks any info will be helpful at this point like i had said earlier. thanks guys
    How did you jump it? Did you jump it directly to the bat or did you remember to hook the NEG jumper to the engine hoist loop? You may have cooked the ECM. Or since the bat died and was dead for who knows how long, the ECM may need flashed.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i hookee the positve cable to the positive jumper terminal. then grounded it to the motor mount.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You may need to have the ECM reprogramed for it to work properly again. If it is an EEPROM it most likely will need reprogramed. EEPROM= Electronicaly Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. Try turning the key to the "on" possition without starting it, wait a few seconds 30ish and try it again. Mine is older style and has less electronic crap, and is for the most part plug and play. Your's most likely the plug and pray ECM. In which case you'll most likely need to have it flashed @ a dealer or some other shop equiped to deal with the EEPROM..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-02-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

well see i alwas kinda had a slight miss to it. as i inspected the front plugs a while back, they needed to be done. so i knew i was having a miss due to the plugs. but could it just happen to be a few plugs went completly out and dumping fuel out the exhaust and getting it to glow? i doubt this ecu is sophisticated enough to throw a engine code for something like this could it? do you think it would throw a code if say it needed to be flashed also?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

well see i alwas kinda had a slight miss to it. as i inspected the front plugs a while back, they needed to be done. so i knew i was having a miss due to the plugs. but could it just happen to be a few plugs went completly out and dumping fuel out the exhaust and getting it to glow? i doubt this ecu is sophisticated enough to throw a engine code for something like this could it? do you think it would throw a code if say it needed to be flashed also?
    The problem could be plugs, if enough unburned fuel got into the cat and ignited. It's possible the cat is dead now. Try replacing the plugs and then see what it does. Cheapest place to start. If the problem persists then the cat maybe pluged. The ECM may not always throw a code for this type of issue. The TDC requires strict maintainance. Some of it's most common problems was blowing heavy carbon (rich) if left alone when trouble with fueling,EGR,MAP,MAF,and/or poor combustion. Meaning it could be one the other or all of the above. Since it starts up, probably mechanical, although a bad ECM should'nt be ruled out aswell. If the ECM is damaged it may not throw any codes @ all. A bad or dirty EGR was also common in the TDC. Without the car right in front of me it's hard to get a full picture of what maybe wrong. I would start cheap do the plugs and then (if you can) get it to a shop asap and have it scanned... How many miles on her and if they are high when was the last timing belt change? If the answer is never CHANGE it now. If the belt happened to slip, with a valve clearance of .010 the motor may self destruct, sodium filled valves hate to strike domed pistons. Hope this helps some good luck...
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-02-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

thanks for the input. ill try some plugs. and see what it will do. have to wait till wednesday to do anything though. going out of town in the morning. so i will have an update sometime after wednesday

White
    2008 Hummer H3

thanks for the input. ill try some plugs. and see what it will do. have to wait till wednesday to do anything though. going out of town in the morning. so i will have an update sometime after wednesday
    Welcome sorry I could'nt be of more help. Here's a link for the motor if you're interested. The TDC v6..

Thread Information