Blue
    2002 WS-6

160deg Thermostat Question

Hey guys, I installed a 160 stat and the engine still shows a little less then 210, so I ordered another one and installed it.......still reads a little under 210? Got any ideals???? Are the gages shit?
    Bill

The Fbody gauges since 98 are reference set. This was done because owners were becoming alarmed as they watched their temps rise above 220. Even though it is not uncommon for coolant temps to go to 240, this was causing new owners to bring their cars back to the dealerships for repair. Now, the gauges show a generic temperature level and holds it there unless temperatures exceed the safe range.

Your gauge isn't broken but it isn't accurate either.

BTW, that 160 thermostat isn't doing anything other than keeping your engine from reaching operating temps sooner. In order for the thermostat to do you any good, i.e. lower the operating temperature, you need to have your cooling fans adjusted. The best way is to have this tuned into the PCM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z28M6 View Post
    The Fbody gauges since 98 are reference set. This was done because owners were becoming alarmed as they watched their temps rise above 220. Even though it is not uncommon for coolant temps to go to 240, this was causing new owners to bring their cars back to the dealerships for repair. Now, the gauges show a generic temperature level and holds it there unless temperatures exceed the safe range.

BTW, that 160 thermostat isn't doing anything other than keeping your engine from reaching operating temps sooner. In order for the thermostat to do you any good, i.e. lower the operating temperature, you need to have your cooling fans adjusted. The best way is to have this tuned into the PCM.
    Very good info!

Blue
    2002 WS-6

I installed the 160deg stat only because it was a part of the free mods on the internet?????????? Sooo there is no real gain? What about the TB bypass?? I didn't do this because it gets cold here in Cincinnati and I was told this was not a good ideal ????????? HELP

Thanks in advance
    Bill

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z28M6 View Post

I couldn't say it better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

Green
    1997 ws-6

www.ws6.com/mycar.htm
    This guy bought a new 96 ws6 in 96. he owns a dyno and tests every mod. he shows a 6 HP gain when he installed the 160 thermostat. I installed one in my 97 ws6 and i noticed a big difference in my temp, before i would run a little ove 180 now it usaully doesnt get over 170 much. this is a very usefull site if you have a LT1 car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

As stated before, you should get your fans adjusted when you switch to a 160 stat.

Thread Information