Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

160 Thermostat

This is a discussion on 160 Thermostat within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Guess I need to clear those things more often It's all cleared now bud, sorry. I have my first fan ...

Guess I need to clear those things more often It's all cleared now bud, sorry.

I have my first fan come on at 185 and the second at 195,,,then they both shut off at 178. If I lowered the shut off temp anymore, the fans would continually run because the 160 thermostat just won't let it get any colder (it cracks open around 172)
    With that said, the easiest way to set the fans is to log while driving (not stop and go) but continuous driving to keep airflow moving and see how cold the car gets. Depends on ambient temps but the 160 stat won't let it get below 172. Then you set your fan "off" temps a few degrees above that so they are guaranteed to shut off when not needed.
    Then you can set the on temps accordingly. I usually go 8-10 degrees above the off temps so the fans don't cycle on and off constantly. That way when they do shut off,,,,they are off for a good long while even in traffic, since the car has to heat up another 10 degrees to kick them back on.

My 6.0 LS was different. It actually has a thermostat that cracks open at 160. I have fans coming on at 180 and 190 and both shutting off at 170,,,,so I rarely ever hear those fans even kick on unless I'm running the AC.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Guess I need to clear those things more often It's all cleared now bud, sorry.

I have my first fan come on at 185 and the second at 195,,,then they both shut off at 178. If I lowered the shut off temp anymore, the fans would continually run because the 160 thermostat just won't let it get any colder (it cracks open around 172)
    With that said, the easiest way to set the fans is to log while driving (not stop and go) but continuous driving to keep airflow moving and see how cold the car gets. Depends on ambient temps but the 160 stat won't let it get below 172. Then you set your fan "off" temps a few degrees above that so they are guaranteed to shut off when not needed.
    Then you can set the on temps accordingly. I usually go 8-10 degrees above the off temps so the fans don't cycle on and off constantly. That way when they do shut off,,,,they are off for a good long while even in traffic, since the car has to heat up another 10 degrees to kick them back on.

My 6.0 LS was different. It actually has a thermostat that cracks open at 160. I have fans coming on at 180 and 190 and both shutting off at 170,,,,so I rarely ever hear those fans even kick on unless I'm running the AC.
    Thanks for the reply. I got a recommendation from Hypertech...On=184 & 194 Off=175 &185. But I'll try that logging thing too, just to see how everything is going. Sounds like a plan...

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I got a recommendation from Hypertech...On=184 & 194 Off=175 &185. But I'll try that logging thing too, just to see how everything is going. Sounds like a plan...
    Does anyone with a frost tune know what thay set the fan temps to? Or is all pretty standered what is called for on this set up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information