160 degree throm.

This is a discussion on 160 degree throm. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 2001 WS6 T/A, I changed to a 160 degree throm. & the temp is still at 210 ...

black
    2001 Trans AM

160 degree throm.

I have a 2001 WS6 T/A, I changed to a 160 degree throm. & the temp is still at 210 idleing. Is that normal or do I have a bad throm. I did get the air out of the system & I used distilled water with DEX-COOL. I have not drove the car since I changed it, Its been setting in the shop just idleing. The out side temp here is about 45 degrees so I would think I should see a change. The stock throm It idle at 210 degrees in the shop too. Also what is the best air box & cat back for the money & HP. The car has 22000 miles and is a Virgin.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I'd vote on a bad thermostat... My car never breaks 180 unless its 100 plus outside with my 160 in. I haven't tuned it either so the fans never come on.

Intersting story with that... I've had my car since 2001 and I NEVER NEVER heard the fans come on... But I never thought anything about it because it never got hot.. Then one day about 6 months ago it all of the sudden started hitting 210 and I actually heard the fan kick on with the car off as I was walking away like it is supposed to.. I went out and got a 160 and replaced the 180 that was in there and it runs like it always did... I guess the 180 was stuck open or something for all that time.

Welcome to the board...and the '99 and up temp water temp gauge reading just below 210 when warmed up - mine does the same thing even with the 160 and fans coming on earlier with programming. Only way to see the true temp is on a scanner. Any lid is fine, I'll post a link to the comparisions soon as I find it. You'll get alot of feedback on catbacks, take your time, look at the prices, sound, etc. www.ls1sounds.com is a good place to start.

Lid comparison from GMHTP article: http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html

Black
    1998 Trans am

Did you also reprogram the fans to come on at a lower temp? Hope this helps. See ya.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

MP, I agree with 98ls1blackbird,you have to reprogram the pcm to turn the fans on at 160 otherwise the fans will turn on at 210.Your thermostat is probably is opening but the fans aren't on till 210.Good luck

Long Drive
    Many posts from back in 01-02 indicated that there wasn't much to be gained switching to the 160 since that isn't much of a change from 180. The fan switch mod give you extra cooling without dorking up anything to do with the PCM, etc. I understand that the temp guage always reads the same until it actually begins to heat beyond it's 200+ default setting regardless of the thermostat.

Thread Information