Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

is a 160 degree thermostat worth it?

This is a discussion on is a 160 degree thermostat worth it? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; even tho the T stat can be removed from the housing........it seems they are meant to be sold as 1 ...

silver
    2000 formula

even tho the T stat can be removed from the housing........it seems they are meant to be sold as 1 piece

Quote Originally Posted by ixlr8nxs View Post
    The one from O'reilly had the housing but wouldn't go in the block. The thermo was to wide to go in the outlet.
    Sounds like you bought one for an LS2. The design changed for the LS2 and they take more of a conventional style thermostat you would see in a Gen 1 motor.

I did the same thing. It seems Summit and Jegs both sell a 160 thermostat that is listed as fitting LS1 and beyond. But this is just not the case. LS1's have their own thermostat.
    It's a listing misprint, and I wouldn't be surprised if the local autoparts stores are doing the same thing.

One way around this I do believe, is the aftermarket water pumps like Edelbrock. They were redesigned to take the newer style LS2 thermostats. Which is a good way to go,,,since they cost $10 verses that $60 LS1 only thermostat.

silver
    99 ws6

air temp. ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Car warms up just as fast,,,only difference is it stops warming up at a lower temperature,,,of which is not harmfull to the motor at all.

I'd like to see this warmer engine making more power than a cooler engine. Maybe on an engine dyno (out of the car in controlled conditions) it's possible but what you have to take into account is day to day driving and severe heat soaking. Once anything in the air intake track (including the intake manifold itself) is heat soaked it kills power.
    Remember that every 10 degree drop in air intake temperature is worth 1% increase in Horsepower ? what is the under hood air tempature for folks that don't have functional ram air? thanks. This ratio increase the more the engine makes. That includes not only sucking in outside ambient temps but also you have to take into account the air intake duct work sitting right on top of the radiator as well as the intake manifold itself.
    Even if the outside air is cool,,,,it is still heated as it passes through all this stuff. In regular driving conditions (especially in the hot south west) it becomes a real issue.
    B]Remember that every 10 degree drop in air intake temperature is worth 1% increase in Horsepower ? what is the under hood air tempature for folks that don't have functional ram air? thanks[/B].meaning the air being sucking into engine.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I haven't monitored F-bodies, but on other cars I've worked on, I typically see 110 to 120 intake air temps. Maybe some higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I haven't monitored F-bodies, but on other cars I've worked on, I typically see 110 to 120 intake air temps. Maybe some higher than that.
    I've monitored mine with HPtuner while logging many times. It's very interesting to watch. Sitting in traffic, and especially when shutting the car off it really gets heat soaked. Once moving in clean air it drops pretty quick and reads nearly what the ambient temps are.

What is more important, is those IAT temps are directly related to the timing tables. The more they go up, the more timing it pulls out. So there is a gain to be found by keeping the IAT's cool, and/or playing with that table.

silver
    99 ws6

rephase of ?

what is the air tempature inside the engine compartment?

the air temp. of air just before it enters the air box? I'm estimateing it to be around 200 degrees.

I recently made the ram air hood functional it made a noticable differnce, so I need to know this air temp so I can calculate the increase of HP w/ real ram air.if it was 200 degrees w/ a 500HP motor then I just gained 65HP.

500 HP w/ regular intake air at 200 degrees

my intake air average temp 70 degrees so 130 degree drop =s 13% more power

so on a 500HP engine I gain 65HP w/ a 130 degree air temp. reduction?

65HP=13%X5hp
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 04-30-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    what is the air tempature inside the engine compartment?

the air temp. of air just before it enters the air box? I'm estimateing it to be around 200 degrees.
    The air temp in the air box

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    The air temp in the air box
    The IAT is in the airbox and any scanner that reads live data will show you the temperature at all times. Firebirdjones said above that it will be right at about the outside temp. when moving, but spike up when no air is moving at idle. Do not race after sitting at idle heating everything up without a cooler stat. and fans programmed to keep the numbers down.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information