Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

10W40 High Mileage Mobil 1.

I thought I would give it a try because my car burns a qt every 1000 miles. Its a full bolt on plus a cam. When ever I would get on it hard I'd see a cloud of ( edit cause I dont know if its BLACK or BLUE) smoke in the mirror .But I have the problem that is well known (TSB) for the ring issues in the LS1. So I changed the oil and filter and have driven a 1000 miles and have lost only 1/4 of a qt of oil. I use to run M1 10w30 or PP 10w30 and both would burn a qt or oil in 1000 miles. So if anyone if having this problem give it a shot.
    Last edited by Stricken1; 11-04-2007 at 04:37 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Sorry for putting this in the wrong section.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Black smoke is not usually associated with oil-burning, ..., blue smoke is.
    Black is more associated with improper tuning.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

well, i would look into getting an oil catch can from jegs or changing your pcv valve. also you might consider running some auto-rx then going back to the pp

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    well, i would look into getting an oil catch can from jegs or changing your pcv valve. also you might consider running some auto-rx then going back to the pp
    Its the rings.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Rings get build up that doesn't allow them to properly seat against the cylinder wall. That is why he is correctly telling you to AutoRX it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Okay for the last time there is a TSB on the LS1's about rings that do not seat and they came from the factory with this problem. I can RX it to death and it wont make a difference. I have tried seafoam and it is WORTHLESS! All it does is smoke and if ya think its carbon you are mistaken.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Whatever.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

high milage oils wont have anything to do with your car smoking. It just has heavier detergents in it to clean up the engine a little more and to swell the seals up to try to prevent oil loss. As far as having ring issues, you are gonna notice a few other problems besides BLUE smoke in the rearview if is your rings that are causing it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No shit. I cannot find any TSB for rings. Help an old man out!

Black
    2001 Pontiac

I've never heard of some TSB for rings not seating, ...
    Find it. Show us.
    "Okay for the last time", Black smoke is tuning, Blue smoke is oil.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

maybe his car ony has like 500 mils on it and the rings really havent seated yet...

maybe...

...ok probably not

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I give up....And I have access to all GM Technical Service Bulletins.....You know what a TSB is? It is a heads up and detailed instructions for the mechanics to replace or fix malfunctioning parts. So if there was a TSB for the rings they would replace them and you wouldn't be having an issue would you. I have issue4s with your post on a few levels friend.
    1stly.....yes you got a wore out motor putting in a thicker oil will mask the effects for a short period of time.
    2ndly What your described is not oil burning.
    3rdly....what does your UOA reflect? I would love to see the silicon/fuel% in your oil...and the wear metals.
    But many folks do exactly what you are doing. Instead of identifying the problem they just put in Lucas Oil Treatment, STP or a thicker oil.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Stricken1 View Post
    Okay for the last time there is a TSB on the LS1's about rings that do not seat and they came from the factory with this problem. I can RX it to death and it wont make a difference. I have tried seafoam and it is WORTHLESS! All it does is smoke and if ya think its carbon you are mistaken.
    Are you 12?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well I give up....And I have access to all GM Technical Service Bulletins.....You know what a TSB is? It is a heads up and detailed instructions for the mechanics to replace or fix malfunctioning parts. So if there was a TSB for the rings they would replace them and you wouldn't be having an issue would you. I have issue4s with your post on a few levels friend.
    1stly.....yes you got a wore out motor putting in a thicker oil will mask the effects for a short period of time.
    2ndly What your described is not oil burning.
    3rdly....what does your UOA reflect? I would love to see the silicon/fuel% in your oil...and the wear metals.
    But many folks do exactly what you are doing. Instead of identifying the problem they just put in Lucas Oil Treatment, STP or a thicker oil.

1999-2002: Service Bulletin: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
    Subject: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
    Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
    Number: 01-06-01-023A

Models: 1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette, 1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird, with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition
    Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause
    The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffle may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction
    On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle body or in the intake manifold before replacing the piston ring. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important
    Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings
    OKAY???????????????????????? Its amazing to me that I found a product to help reduce oil consumption and all I get is a bunch of know it alls who wont listen to anything anyone else says. WTF is that^^^^^^^????? Maybe you dont know everything!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Stricken1 View Post
    1999-2002: Service Bulletin: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
    Subject: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
    Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
    Number: 01-06-01-023A

Models: 1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette, 1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird, with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition
    Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause
    The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffle may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction
    On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle body or in the intake manifold before replacing the piston ring. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important
    Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings
    OKAY???????????????????????? Its amazing to me that I found a product to help reduce oil consumption and all I get is a bunch of know it alls who wont listen to anything anyone else says. WTF is that^^^^^^^????? Maybe you dont know everything!
    So what? We all know about that and I have posted it a couple of times. Hell I posted a letter from GM on this.Thus we all are trying to make a point with you. Did you go get it fixed? DUH? Or are you telling us instead of getting it repaired you just pour in thicker oil? You were referencing some TSB for rings that apparently could not be fixed. I couldnt find that one. Then you show up and post this!!!???? A TSB as I described above with a fix? And your posting instead of getting it fixed on GM's dime and you decide to pour in pancake syrup? Help me out here. And yes I agree...it is AMAZING!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

pancake syrup..............................

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I guess what I find so amazing...well let me back up....I guess what I find so amazing on so many levels is this.
    1. A guy comes on here and makes a thread announcing he can fix oil burning with a thicker oil.
    2. He doesn't even describe oil burning but describes a fuel issue.
    3. Then he post an old TSB that clearly describes the problem and the FIX!
    4. Instead of getting it fixed he decides to defend his position to:
    A) ignore the TSB
    B) Self medicate with a thicker oil
    C) call us dumbasses.
    5. Then he decides he will create an new thread about his old TSB.
    6. Ignores the recommendations to check out the source of the "smoke", ignores the old tried and true recommendations for a catch can, ignores the recommendations to AutoRX the ring pack.
    Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a dumbass than to open your mouth and remove any doubt.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I just purchased autoRx and I am going to go get some Pennzoil Platinum.
    Hopefully AutoRx ships fast cause I wanna try this..

Thread Information