Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

100,000 mile to-do's

This is a discussion on 100,000 mile to-do's within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; seafoam makes me nervous; heard lots of pros/cons on that one. Is paying for the 'top end cleaning' a waste? ...

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

seafoam makes me nervous; heard lots of pros/cons on that one. Is paying for the 'top end cleaning' a waste? Same thing, or safer? I will do brake fluid-thanks! Just read in another post about having fuel injectors sent off and cleaned--what do you guys think? Quicker way so i don't have to wait for them to return? Like $100; much better than replacing i imagine... Power steering... the estimate to change the slightly seeping high pressure hose is like $3xx.00. Can i do this myself and save the labor, the part is fairly cheap i believe. How difficult? i have Very little mechanical experience. Of course, only makes sense to change fluid at the same time. Also, chassis lube. My door hinges are getting rough to say the least. What exactly do i need to buy to lube everything; what is 'everything', and anything special i need to know? What about rubber seals? Something i can get to condition them and extend life right?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

damn, i talk alot....and have lots of ignorant questions.... Sorry guys!!! Bear with me, I'll learn it all eventually!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I'm not sure exactly what it takes to replace the power steering line, but if the dealer charges over $300 for labor alone, that sounds like it can be quite the job. Dealer shop rates are usually $100 or more an hour and they charge by the flat rate.

So, for a power steering hose remove/replace, the flat rate allowed is probably around 3 hours. Good technicians always beat the flat rate, but if you're not a technician.....I'd be hesitant to take a job on that is allowed 3 hours. I just think my own time is worth something. I replaced the drivers side spark plugs and the 2 front passenger plugs, drove the car to the dealer and had them replace the back 2 on the passenger side. Took the guy some time and a hoist to get to the plugs. They charged me about $80 for the time, but if I had them replace all 8, I would have had to pay the entire flat rate which I believe is around 3 hours.

Maybe someone else can confirm the difficultly/ease of R/R power steering hose...

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

not the dealer, but prolly similar rate/hour and hours alloted. I asked because i asked my mechanic at the shop this same question, and he looked up the hours and it was relatively high and he commented that it must snake through some things and require that parts be removed. wonder which parts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information