Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

100,000 mile to-do's

Well..just made some more costly repairs, deciding to keep the car as i originally planned to do. I'll be at 100,000 in several months and need to start saving/planning. probably a question that's been posted many times, so maybe it'll be an easy one Need suggestions of all-inclusive 100,000 mile maintenence replace/inspect items. This is my only car, and i drive it on 2000 mile round trip vaca. once a year and lots of other little excursions--and want/need it to be reliable. Thanks for taking time...please mention anything not here; regardless of how obvious...this is the first car i've cared to take care of with this many miles--would usually be looking forward to something 'better'...

1) spark plugs/wires
    2) PCV valve
    3) hoses/belts
    4) fluids/filters
    5) my damn leaky *barely...just annoying to hear from anyone who works on it* power stearing hose (anyone else??) since 40,000 mi. *added fluid once--now at 89000.
    5) engine/trans mounts, suspension bushings.
    6) thermostat maybe?

what else? wheel/hub Bearings an issue at this point? what else can be/should be checked??? Just replaced fuel pump, trans front seal, and torque convertor. trans rebuilt year/half ago.
    Last edited by 02WS6dream; 02-26-2008 at 12:40 AM.

how are your belt tensioners, they making noise yet ?

why did you replace the fuel pump ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Just replaced fuel pump, trans front seal, and torque convertor. trans rebuilt year/half ago.
    These are the 'costly repairs'. I replaced it because it quit pumping Tensioners are good--one about 30,000 mil. old--thanks!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

no one else? or have just answered this question one too many times before?... Wondering what other components should definately be on the replace/inspect list... suspension/steering parts? bearings? Sorry...don't want to walk into a shop or parts store and ask this and be sold everything currently in stock

red
    2001 formula

I am assuming when you mentioned fluids you should include flushing the brake system. It sounds like you have taken pretty good care of the car. I have 147K on my 2001 and it is pretty much trouble free. My daughter drives it from Dallas to Huntsville A couple times A month.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would do all fluids, rear, tranny, brake, etc... Other then that it seems to me that you have everything else covered. I haven't hit the big 100,000 yet and shouldn't hit it anytime in the next 2 years. Last year I only put on 4,000 miles Hope that helps.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

brake fluid huh? I've heard varying opinions on this--some say it is useless to flush it--everyone here agreed that it is worth while?? And yes--i've tried to keep it maintained--my plan since purchasing this car in 05 was to keep it for a long while--always loved these cars. I've spent more time and money maintaining this car than any other; but ironically have had many more random expensive failures too. Person before me (first 43000 miles) just drove; poorly, with no thought of maintance

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    Person before me (first 43000 miles) just drove; poorly, with no thought of maintance
    That's a shame. I have a 98 with 141,000 on the body and 128,000 on the motor and aside from what I did to her the other day, she runs like clockwork. If you take good care of these cars they will reward you like no honda ever could :-D. But then, that's the point of a honda.....little to no maintenance...but where's the fun in that?!

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

121k on my 98 shes still running strong.
    my boyfriend has replaced everything... tranny fluid and filter, plugs/wires, PCV, fuel filter, tranny mount. rear seal..hes basically redoin the whole car. my shocks/strust/mounts were all replaced by my dad. i completely agree that if u take care of these cars they will run for u.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You forgot O2s, change every 40K miles or 2 years at least; they are responsible for almost all of your fuel control and unfortunately as they go bad, they drift away froma ccurate rather than (usually) failing outright. They suck away your fuel economy like no other also.

-edit-
    I feel like a broken record talking about O2s on this site, but they seem to be an item that no one wants to even acknowledge.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

120K on my one owner (me) `98 Formula
    So far all I've replaced was the 1 headlight motor, Fuel pump, Water pump, Tie Rod ends, Front Brake pads, door and sailpanel speakers, and motor and trans mounts. And she still runs on the Original Clutch.
    Car never leaves me stranded and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere.
    I desperatly need Shocks and the Brakes are probably about done aswell, A call to Strano will be taking care of these area's.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

158K with nothing more than the small stuff plugs, wires, o2's, shocks (probably as a result of the lowering though), brakes often (backroads), Tranny started having minor issues (ball comming through the plate) but al in all mine was pretty solid. Me personally I wouldn't touch an auto trans with high miles.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I feel like a broken record talking about O2s on this site, but they seem to be an item that no one wants to even acknowledge.
    it's ok!...glad you did, 'cause i never thought of these as a maintanance issue--only a replace when broken. Glad to hear all you guys are getting plenty of trouble-free miles. hopefully i'll have a good streak of those myself as far as the auto trans; if this rebuilt one gives any more trouble i will not fix it but replace it with something that will be durable.
    Thanks for all the responses guys!

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

damn the O2s, i never thought of them.
    ill get the boyfriend on that this weekend!

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Question not trying to take thread but...

i have a 2000 a4 ws6 with 104k

done:
    o2s
    fuel filter
    oil.filter every 3k
    plug/wires
    brakes/cut rotors

Do I need to....
    have a leaky rear main...how long til i need to replace, not leaking much
    when shock/strut/spring
    injector
    pvc
    any thing else???

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by GNICTRY View Post
    any thing else???

cam and stall

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Xmas, Valentines Day, and the GFs B-day has rapped my 150xxx rebuild... Hopefully next check ill be back in the game... with
    Tie Rod Ends
    Alignments
    Suspension Components
    Tune
    U-Joints
    Hubs
    LID( I still havent got one of those bastards yet)
    So far:
    Plugs, Wires, Tranny Fluid, Belts, Tensioners, tires, TB p&p ,All free mods.All Brake Components

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    Well..just made some more costly repairs, deciding to keep the car as i originally planned to do. I'll be at 100,000 in several months and need to start saving/planning. probably a question that's been posted many times, so maybe it'll be an easy one Need suggestions of all-inclusive 100,000 mile maintenence replace/inspect items. This is my only car, and i drive it on 2000 mile round trip vaca. once a year and lots of other little excursions--and want/need it to be reliable. Thanks for taking time...please mention anything not here; regardless of how obvious...this is the first car i've cared to take care of with this many miles--would usually be looking forward to something 'better'...

1) spark plugs/wires
    2) PCV valve
    3) hoses/belts
    4) fluids/filters
    5) my damn leaky *barely...just annoying to hear from anyone who works on it* power stearing hose (anyone else??) since 40,000 mi. *added fluid once--now at 89000.
    5) engine/trans mounts, suspension bushings.
    6) thermostat maybe?

what else? wheel/hub Bearings an issue at this point? what else can be/should be checked??? Just replaced fuel pump, trans front seal, and torque convertor. trans rebuilt year/half ago.
    one thing i've noticed a lot of guys don't worry about is greasing their ball joints. I make sure mine are good every time i change the oil. It would be a good idea to take a look and matinence them if they haven't been looked at for a while. I had a leaky power steering hose too at about 70xxx miles. Flushed the system when I changed it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Mine are ungreasable(no grease fitting)... but that will change next week!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I would SeaFoam the motor before you change the plugs. And don't waste money on any BS style plug like +2,+4's,SplitFire.

I would also flush the brake system. I'm willing to beat money your fluid is dark which is due to it absorbing moisture. You can bleed it out and use a turkey baster to suck out the master. Than you can fill it with alcohol to flush. Let it sit with bleeders open for an hour or two and it will evaporate then refill and bleed.

I would also change the diff fluid to a nice synthetic such as AMSOIL.

The power steering return would get changed and filled with a synthetic also.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information