Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

02 z28 M6 error code help

i just picked up an 02 z28 M6 and i the SES light on already.

i used my handy actron and it reported to problems, maybe they arfe realted.

02S Heater Ckt malfunction 2/2
    and
    SEC Air Inject System Valve A malfunction

for some reason it didnt report the P code for these two, not sure why.

i did a little web search and it seems it could be a stuck valve in the AIR system causing both, not sure

any seen these two codes pop up before?

it appears to be stock except the muffler and tips. under the has all the stock stuff as far as i can tell.

ty

kool-aide

bad O2 sensor back right I think, used to make sure the CATs are working, as for the valve is it the check valve? These ware out all the time.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

passenger side rear o2 heater circuit. Check for blown fuses first. Secondary air only runs for 30 seconds when the car is cold. Check all your wires make sure nothing is pinched as well

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    passenger side rear o2 heater circuit. Check for blown fuses first. Secondary air only runs for 30 seconds when the car is cold. Check all your wires make sure nothing is pinched as well
    under the hood or side of dash?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blade2222 View Post
    bad O2 sensor back right I think, used to make sure the CATs are working, as for the valve is it the check valve? These ware out all the time.
    My 99 used to throw a bad O2 code a lot. It always came up the the P0 code though. Are you sure this is a bad O2?

Typically I can clear it and it will go away it it is a nagging O2 sensor. This is not going away at all and I think the car is idling a couple of hundred RPM to high all the time.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    all the wires? any way of maybe narrowing it down to like a section under the hood?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Check the fuse box under the hood. As far as the wires pink is the hot side black is the gnd side

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

all the fuses are ok, inside and out. Although I don't know about those armon 8567 square metal looking ones. There is one that is for the AIR pump. I don't know how you tell if they are bad. I also have never bought one so i don't know where you get them.

I will go check wires now.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

is it possible there is a knock sensor problem? I know the codes are not present but....The engine sounds like it has more knock that normal. My ran plain Jane 87 octane in my 99, shhh dont tell any one. I never had what I would consider noticeable or audible knock. This car....well, either it is a piston slap victim or it has knock from something like bad fuel, timing not being adjusted, who knows.

just throwing the idea out there to see if i can't get to the bottom of the problem.

I thought maybe the higher idle, knock and error codes may all be interconnected in some way.

i wonder if they traded the car because of this, lol...dead window motor, no rear defrost light, check engine light, lol....sounds like the typical car trade.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ok, now that i am awake the codes are P0161 and P0412.

Still not sure what wires to check. All of the fuse box wires are nicely concealed under the block. I'm not sure if i am awake enough to dismantle the fuse black, . I'm going to web search the codes more and see whats out there. I did notice the driver side up stream O2 sensor is in a crappy place, lol....

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

for code P0161 any one think it is as simple as replacing the O2 sensor for that code?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

is this the post CAT O2 sensor?

P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

I am just guessing based on it saying sensor two in the description.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have been reading other posts here about P0412. My fuses are ok. I have seen some say they replaced the valve. It seems the valve is on the less expensive side, so could some one help me locate the valve? I think if the valve is not too costly i will try the hunt an peck diagnoses. A new AIR pump is about 120 bucks around here. I guess I am trying to figure out how to get this corrected. Since all of the fuses are ok. I am ready to move on to the next step to try and get this fixed.

I'm still on the hook for P0161 too. If it is the downstream sensor I have half the mind to buy the pig tail sensor delete thingy you use for ORY pipes. why spend 70+ bucks on a sensor that i think is useless IMO.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think that rectangular metal thingy in the fuse box i was shaking is the AIR pump relay, lol... Maybe I will take it to the local store and see if they sell them. I may try the Haynes method to check and see if that might be it. Darn book is never detailed enough, lol...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

that blows. the book photo of jumping the relay is not the same as the car. The relay has 4 pins, one at each rectangle corner. The book shows a totally different pattern, crap.

I guess i am back to hunt, peck, and silly guesses.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well the book says P0161 is the downstream O2 sensor. Does any know if this will affect the car in any way? Like adjusting the fuel or anything, bad gas mileage that sort of thing? I know the post CAT sensors are used to indicate if the CAT is good or bad. I don't remember if it would affect anything else?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

anyone know where this AIR pump valve is?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I had to order the AIR pump check valve. After i ordered it i noticed there were two of them, doh. It makes sense, one for each side of the engine, duh.

I tell you what if the AIR keeps giving me grief. I think i will find someone to program that thing out, .

I'm still curious if a bad downstream O2 would cause any trouble, like bad mileage or anything I should be concerned with that would prompt me to fix it ASAP.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

sorry it took me so long to get back to you man but to answer your questions, the air pump itseld is located on the drivers side under the fuse box. You have to access it from under the car. The check valves are in plain view at the headers. The Rear O2 issue is a heater circuit issue. If the O2 went bad, you wouldn't throw the code because O2 sensors fail lean and by failing lean, it shows your cat is good. You can go to any old tuner to delete the rear O2 or look for Caspers O2 Simulators. They're $50.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Not sure but would it be easier to just get a tune and delete the rear o2's and the air system? Thats what mine has...

Thread Information