Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

02 z28 M6 error code help

This is a discussion on 02 z28 M6 error code help within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 sorry it took me so long to get back to you man but to answer your ...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    sorry it took me so long to get back to you man but to answer your questions, the air pump itseld is located on the drivers side under the fuse box. You have to access it from under the car. The check valves are in plain view at the headers. The Rear O2 issue is a heater circuit issue. If the O2 went bad, you wouldn't throw the code because O2 sensors fail lean and by failing lean, it shows your cat is good. You can go to any old tuner to delete the rear O2 or look for Caspers O2 Simulators. They're $50.
    np, funny though. I followed the hose around and found the passenger side. I found a store that could order the AC Delco part. Then I was chatting with the guy at the store and dazed out while looking under the hood. When I came back from la la land I noticed the driver side staring me right in the face, lol...

I'm on the fence about tuning out the AIR. I already ordered the check valve, 30 bucks, piss. I guess I could just not accept it and do a return since it won't be here until tomorrow, Tuesday.

It is quite possible I will just see if I can find a tuner for the O2s and maybe do the AIR.

I'm not necessarily a tree huger, but I would feel bad taking out the AIR.

Does it really help that much?

I replaced both air pump check valves, also have O2 sims on the rear. By the way if heater circuit fails the only way to fix it is to replace the sensor, bad sensor. you can also troubleshoot by moving a known good sensor to the bad sensors location if code goes away then it was the sensor.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Funny for a couple of hours today the SES light went out. I haven't checked it today but I am assuming it came back on because of the O2. The car was hot when it went out and came back on today, so I don't know if the AIR valve caused it.

I'm going to keep monitoring it with the scanner just to make sure it is still the harmless AIR and sensor 2 O2. I am so leaning toward tuning them out.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The check valves in the air system were prolly shot until you replaced them. More than like you're just throwing the O2 code. Deleting the O2 and the Air is no big deal. I've been running without it for a while now. I even pulled the fuse going to the AIR system and now it's completely out of the car. To pass a visual inspection though I'd keep it all connected but just have the tuner delete them. The AIR just assists in warming up the cat and burning off excess HC and CO's at startup. The rear o2 if it dies your cat is still could cause all O2's will die lean. The heater ckt to the rear O2 is the most common code to throw in that system.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Is there any way to clean the gunk out of those check valves?

The one seems to through a code, then clear itself, then trough etc.

The O2 stopped through codes. Its just the AIR check valve now.

I'm sure the O2 will come back to, but on my 99 I just got used to it coming and going as it pleased.

Owning your own little scanner makes it easy to just drop those annoying codes at you leisure.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yep. As far as cleaning the gunk, it's tough cause the check valves tend to deform or melt due to high exhaust heat. I'd just replace it completely. They're pretty cheap if you go to a pick and pool

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah i tried some sea foam, W-D 40, TB cleaner. It got some gunk out of it, but still sticks. I think the only thing i did was shave a couple of years off my life and skin cancer, .

lol...sure the u-pull its seem to have no F-Bodies, or they have ravaged them to death.

One near me was bought out by LKQ and the ebay all their stuff like bandits.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well i had the part paid and ordered, so i just broke down and decided to put it on. What the heck. I'm sure in a day or two I will need another one, lol....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information