Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02 ss upgrades?

red
    2002 ss camaro

02 ss upgrades?

I bought a 02 ss a4 w/30k miles, i want to put some add ons to increase
    performance. I'm thinking a slp y, fasttoys cold air w/slp lid, gms maf, gms
    power tuner, smooth bellows, k&n filter, gms solid core wires( cause i already
    have them. I don't want to throw money away, i want best bang for my bucks.
    What do ya think?

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

If you're interested, I'll have my SLP Y pipe off my '01 SS for sale in a week or 2. I'm asking $150 obo.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a SLP Y-Pipe for sale now. Asking 149.99 OBO

Seriously though, don't mess with your MAF sensor. The stock one is good for 500+ HP.

Also, lots of people on here don't recommend hand held tuners. If you get a tuner, get HP tuners with Wideband. Otherwise, just give FROST on here a jingle and he does mail-order tunes for a good price.

Good luck.

red
    2002 ss camaro

I read on install university site where they just open up the stock maf and retained the
    stock electronics, i have one on my silverado, couldn't tell any difference. I can get a brand new y from slp for $200. Why are you removing yours? What's hp tuners?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wu802 View Post
    I read on install university site where they just open up the stock maf and retained the
    stock electronics, i have one on my silverado, couldn't tell any difference. I can get a brand new y from slp for $200. Why are you removing yours? What's hp tuners?
    200 is more than 150 last time I checked. Plus you are going to pay close to $45 additional for shipping and handling charges if you are buying that from SLP. A new pipe will offer you no advantage over a used one and I am sure Sommer's Y still looks new, I know mine does.

LTs will be your best bang for buck....

Just food for thought, if you plan on getting LTs, don't get that particular SLP Y-Pipe, it won't work with headers. It's only 2-1/2" and the length won't be right.

http://www.hptuners.com/index.php

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wu802 View Post
    I bought a 02 ss a4 w/30k miles, i want to put some add ons to increase
    performance. I'm thinking a slp y, fasttoys cold air w/slp lid, gms maf, gms
    power tuner, smooth bellows, k&n filter, gms solid core wires( cause i already
    have them. I don't want to throw money away, i want best bang for my bucks.
    What do ya think?
    I think you're wasting alot of $$$ to be honest.

SLP Y by itself is a waste of $$$, save up long term and get headers and an ORY. Do a search on here for the $189 Ebay headers that guys are having success with instead of wasting $150 on a junk ass SLP Y that will net you minimal if any gains.
    As stated above aftermarket MAF waste of $$$ stocker is good up til 500 HP.
    Bellows, waste of $$, they clean up the engine bay but really dont net any gains worth spending the $$ on unless you get a Fernco rubber piece from a plumbing store for under $10 and fab that up to fit.
    Power tuner if you're talking handheld waste of $$$, get all of your mods done then pay for a professional tune from a reputable tuner.
    Lid and filter? Finally a good idea! While some will argue the filter a K&N and a lid will net you 8-12 at the wheels, all lids are solid and check around to see which is on sale or search for a used one.
    Also ask the A4 guys about a stall, that'll wake up your ride and get you into your powerband quicker. Don't just spend $$$ to spend it, spend it wisely the first time. For the cost of the bellows, SLP Y, and handheld tuner you can throw a little more $$ on top of that and get the Ebay headers, Texas Speed ORY and a custom tune and see some real gains. Match that up with the lid and stall and you won't believe the difference.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

^^Pretty much of what he said was true. If you're looking to go for the "best" performance upgrade, long tubes are the way to go, and a stall, but the SLP Y is restrictive for LT's. I had mine on for 2 years and I love it and the sound. It's definitely an improvement over the stock flattened y.

If you're like me, and have to keep emissions equipment, then the SLP Y was the way to go as it opened up my exhaust, and flowed a bit better. (My car dyno's 341 RWTQ stock, partially since the '01-'02 exhaust manifold flow really well...almost as good as shorties) Now that I dont care about the emissions and am willing to risk the ticket, i'm putting on my Kooks LT's and a custom built Y pipe built around a flowmaster Y merge.

Don't waste your cash on a hand held tuner.

Pewter
    99 Z28

Skip the hand tuner, a hand tuner will cost almost $400, but you will skip the headache by letting someone else do it. I have discovered this the hard way and am now regretting not getting HP Tuners, or just letting Frost do his thing.

I also agree about the MAF, stock one is sufficient, and if your gonna get the Y, go for headers at the same time.

Obviously get it tuned after all mods are done.

RED
    2002/Z28

Iam doing the same mods as you almost.. I did the SLP Lid,K&N airfilter,Smooth bellows,SLP MAF,SLP Y-pipe, I got all them parts for 100 dollars. I got the Lid,K&N,Smooth Bellows for Free someone gave them to me. I got the MAF for 50 and the SLP Y for 50.. So I think I didnt go wrong.

But all in all If you already have some parts why not put them on. Thats what I did..

My car bone stock went 8.88@82.69 with 18x9.5 and 17x8.5 C5 wheels with 275x40x18 and 245x45x17 I think if I had my stockers on I would have done better for being lighter. when I get the Y on and Catback exhaust Iam gonna take it back to see how I improved..
    Last edited by EVIL-LS1; 10-12-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad97Ram View Post
    Iam doing the same mods as you almost.. I did the SLP Lid,K&N airfilter,Smooth bellows,SLP MAF,SLP Y-pipe, I got all them parts for 100 dollars. I got the Lid,K&N,Smooth Bellows for Free someone gave them to me. I got the MAF for 50 and the SLP Y for 50.. So I think I didnt go wrong.

But all in all If you already have some parts why not put them on. Thats what I did..

My car bone stock went 8.88@82.69 with 18x9.5 and 17x8.5 C5 wheels with 275x40x18 and 245x45x17 I think if I had my stockers on I would have done better for being lighter. when I get the Y on and Catback exhaust Iam gonna take it back to see how I improved..
    The SLP MAF will lean your car out, that's why you shouldn't put it on. And, if you have the SLP MAF on, it has a resistor built into it, which makes it a PITA to tune. SLP smooth bellows are about $70 and offer nothing other than a cosmetic upgrade to the baffled bellows. You can go the same thing using materials from Home Depot for less than $10.

NBM
    1998Z28

SLP= High dollar bolt on parts. Buy your lid from Fast Toys when you get your ram air and see if they will cut you a deal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

dont go kn air filter either. waste of money

RED
    2002/Z28

The MAF says Delphi on it and SLP put there sticker on it Its a factory Corvette MAF. I now I ran a Built LT1 with Cam/Full exhaust true duels,410 gears 3500 Stall,From a 45 roll and the ferther we went the ferther I was pulling on him.I rather run from a dig.. This is with all the mods I listed but the SLP Y...

From Stock to now I can feel a differances in power with just them little mods. When I put on the SLP Y I will take it back to the track to see if the mods help me. I might wait till I get a Catback exhaust then take it. and do 373 see how much gears and a tune helps me out.
    Last edited by EVIL-LS1; 10-12-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I have an SLP MAF, it didn't lean my car out, it richen-ed it. Yes, the SLP MAF has a resistor built into it, but my tuner says he can just tune around it. The upside was that you get an 85mm MAF incase you're running an 85mm lid, TB and Manifold. I did however feel an immediate increase in power and throttle response. Not a ton of power, but enough to get me 8.3's in the 1/8 mi. all day! 13.0 in the 1/4 on a hot day. (at another local track it might've run 12.7's or so)

EDIT:
    Those passes were with a 2600 stall, SLP underdrive pulley, 3.73's and a loudmouth exhaust.
    Last edited by Sommer86@6LE; 10-12-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: edit

RED
    2002/Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86 View Post
    I have an SLP MAF, it didn't lean my car out, it richen-ed it. Yes, the SLP MAF has a resistor built into it, but my tuner says he can just tune around it. The upside was that you get an 85mm MAF incase you're running an 85mm lid, TB and Manifold. I did however feel an immediate increase in power and throttle response. Not a ton of power, but enough to get me 8.3's in the 1/8 mi. all day! 13.0 in the 1/4 on a hot day. (at another local track it might've run 12.7's or so)

EDIT:
    Those passes were with a 2600 stall, SLP underdrive pulley, 3.73's and a loudmouth exhaust.

Cool cool nice to now what mine will probally run now with the mods I have.What year is your car.I wont have the stall but Iam gonna do a stall in the future. So I should be in the 12s then. My 1/8 time is like a 13.6-13.7 when it was bone stock..

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

^^Pretty much of what he said was true. If you're looking to go for the "best" performance upgrade, long tubes are the way to go, and a stall, but the SLP Y is restrictive for LT's. I had mine on for 2 years and I love it and the sound. It's definitely an improvement over the stock flattened y.

If you're like me, and have to keep emissions equipment, then the SLP Y was the way to go as it opened up my exhaust, and flowed a bit better. (My car dyno's 341 RWTQ stock, partially since the '01-'02 exhaust manifold flow really well...almost as good as shorties) Now that I dont care about the emissions and am willing to risk the ticket, i'm putting on my Kooks LT's and a custom built Y pipe built around a flowmaster Y merge.

Don't waste your cash on a hand held tuner.
    If you find a good SMOG place that'll let you pass let me know....

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    If you find a good SMOG place that'll let you pass let me know....
    Come out to our PHK/Burbank bobs big boy meets and we can "chat".

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Come out to our PHK/Burbank bobs big boy meets and we can "chat".
    We'll see if I can make it out one of these days. I'm busy as hell right now with work and school.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    We'll see if I can make it out one of these days. I'm busy as hell right now with work and school.
    Chicks dig it when you play nonchalant.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Chicks dig it when you play nonchalant.
    I see you are a fellow man of great wisdom.

Thread Information